Primus EtaPower MF

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ads677

Sep 14, 2006
Hinckley
I'm considering a new stove to add to my Trangia so that I can cook at least two pans simultaneously when there's a bit of a crowd. The Primus EtaPower MF is very new and I haven't even seen one in the flesh, but does anyone have any experience yet? Because I carry paraffin (for the hurricane lamps) as well as meths I could have two alternative fuel options, as well as one that would burn hotter and possibly with more control.

ads677

Sep 14, 2006
Hinckley
Oh, and does anyone have any experience of using methanol rather than meths (denatured alcohol) as the fuel for the Trangia - it's possible to get 25 litres of 99.96% pure methanol for £12.00 on ebyeckbay.

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
Methanol is vastly superior to meths for trangias. Less smoke, less fumes, no purple colour, no horrible taste. (Meths has a vomiting ingredient). Only downer is it is slightly less energy dense.

happybonzo

Tenderfoot
Dec 17, 2005
Nr Emsworth, Hants
I'm considering a new stove to add to my Trangia so that I can cook at least two pans simultaneously when there's a bit of a crowd. The Primus EtaPower MF is very new and I haven't even seen one in the flesh, but does anyone have any experience yet? Because I carry paraffin (for the hurricane lamps) as well as meths I could have two alternative fuel options, as well as one that would burn hotter and possibly with more control.

It seems to me that all Trangia have got to do is to produce a pot with a heat exchanger. They already have the gas conversion thingy so all they've got to do is sort out the cooking pots: Shouldn't be too difficult

The etapower is FANTASTIC. I'd say not as good as the MSR Reactor, but iirc its a lot cheaper. To be honest, imo, you'd be better off buying a cheaper gas burner and an etapower pot. The pot is the special thing with the etapower, not the burner, unlike the Reactor which is all special.

Rik is the best man for this thread!

May 6, 2008
England
I have a Primus Etapower MF and tried using Paraffin with it but can't get it to work properly yet. The heating coil doesn't seem to be vapourising the paraffin properly so the flame turns yellow and the burner floods. I have contacted Primus for some advice because the reviews I have found had no problems, I'll post again when the problem is resolved.

The omnifuel I have used for several years has no problems with paraffin or gas.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a Primus Etapower MF and tried using Paraffin with it but can't get it to work properly yet. The heating coil doesn't seem to be vapourising the paraffin properly so the flame turns yellow and the burner floods. I have contacted Primus for some advice because the reviews I have found had no problems, I'll post again when the problem is resolved.

The omnifuel I have used for several years has no problems with paraffin or gas.

John what are you priming the stove with?

May 6, 2008
England
I'm using paraffin on the fibreglass wad to prime it as I do with the ominfuel. Primus have suggested trying ethanol so I'll give that a go tonight. They have also suggested using different fuel so I may need to blend the paraffin with some petrol.

Any other suggestions are welcome, I don't want to carry two fuels but I have used tubes of 'burning paste' (methanol gel in a tube) with older paraffin stoves so that's another option.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
John, although I collect stoves, the ETA MF is new to me. But the yellow flames suggest an underpriming, so I would get some meths to pre heat the burner to be honest, plus (and do this outside) don't be afraid to give the tank a few extra pumps. If you use paraffin/kerosene to prime stoves it will lead to sooting more than using meths and give burner clog. When I use paraffin with my Nova's or Omnifuels I always prime with meths, when using Coleman/panel wipe/Aspen 4T, these fuels prime clean enough to light. Just a thought, and let us know how you get on:)

May 6, 2008
England
Priming with meths was much better but the real answer was to bend the fuel pipe so it is properly in the flame both for priming and when cooking (according to some pictures from Primus). The omnifuel is better at priming but with care paraffin primes this stove reasonably well. The main difference is the soot build up on the eta is not in the main flame so it does not clean itself during cooking.

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
sorry if i'm a bit slow, but is methanol better for hurricane lamps and multifuel stoves than paraffin? and a cleaner burn? asking as when i get home i'm going to get paraffin but if the methanols better i would go for that instead

ads677

Sep 14, 2006
Hinckley
Don't think that methanol is sutable for lamps at all. I understand that this is because of its volatility. However, you do need meths to pre-heat most pressurised lamps (and stoves too). I've just found that my local garage sells paraffin from a forecourt pump, about 60p per litre - is that good?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Priming with meths was much better but the real answer was to bend the fuel pipe so it is properly in the flame both for priming and when cooking (according to some pictures from Primus). The omnifuel is better at priming but with care paraffin primes this stove reasonably well. The main difference is the soot build up on the eta is not in the main flame so it does not clean itself during cooking.

John, any chance of a couple of pictures and a review? Glad to see you have the stove sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE