Primus Billy can

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I think Wayland may have one of those, currently hanging over the fire at Rough Close! If so he has modified it with a new ?wooden knob on the lid

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
i think he did, it said primus on it, bud like you say it had the wooden knob on the top, looked like a good bit of kit to me.

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
I think Wayland may have one of those, currently hanging over the fire at Rough Close! If so he has modified it with a new ?wooden knob on the lid

Cool hopefully when he has finished his cooking ,enjoyed his meal and broken camp, then he might go home look at his pc and see this thread :)

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

Cool hopefully when he has finished his cooking ,enjoyed his meal and broken camp, then he might go home look at his pc and see this thread :)

i think you may be waiting a little while mate, he's off to the moot after rough close.

the billy looked pretty good, according to wayland the little fold up handle on the lid was rubbish and snapped off very easily (hence the replacement wooden knob), but apart from that it looks like a good bit of kit.

stuart

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I use similar shaped/lidded Primus pots with the heat exchanger built into the bottom and no hanging bale, uses a pot gripper/lifter. Wayland must have had a bad pot as the fold down handle on the lid is first rate IMO, no problems to be honest. If it snapped off he should have sent it back.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.......Wayland must have had a bad pot as the fold down handle on the lid is first rate IMO, no problems to be honest. If it snapped off he should have sent it back.

i think when wayland described the fold down handle as rubbish it was more of a personal preference thing than anything else, i think he just disliked the style of it. as for snapping off easily perhaps i should clarify a little more, it didn't snap off in use he snapped it off on purpose to replace with a wooden knob, he just happened to comment that he was surprised at how easily he managed to snap the handle off, from what he told me it was just a gentle twist to break the spot weld. from what i saw it's a great pot (one that i'd consider buying myself), with a handle on the lid that it seems some like and others don't, if you do like it it seems to last pretty well (a la rik_uk3) or can be replaced really easily (a la wayland)

hope that makes things a little clearer :)

stuart

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Cheers, I have placed an order today. I think it is what I want.
What I have been looking for is something with a similar capacity as a 14cm zebra can but with a wider base. I looked at tatonka but I don't like the frying pan lid thing as I prefer to use a separate frying pan that I have had for years (just a personal thing). This pot seems to fit the bill well

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire

tahdah.gif

fire2x.jpg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Hi

I was wondering if anyone on here has used one of these http://www.globetrotter.de/de/shop/...i72710a.jpg&farbe_xl=&mod_nr=109857&k_id=1208 and if so what you think of it

Thanks Phil

Hi just seen this.

I like it, it's a good solid pot.

Ponassed_Chickens.jpg

I use similar shaped/lidded Primus pots with the heat exchanger built into the bottom and no hanging bale, uses a pot gripper/lifter. Wayland must have had a bad pot as the fold down handle on the lid is first rate IMO, no problems to be honest. If it snapped off he should have sent it back.

As Stu says I deliberately removed the flip up handle on mine because I thought it was naff. It was indeed easy enough to remove with a pair of pliers.

Arctic_Cooking_Kit.jpg

I also bought the extra pans that can go with it, mainly because there was a decent shallow pan with a bonded aluminium base which makes a superb frying pan.

It's not light but good food is worth a bit of effort in my opinion.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I use similar shaped/lidded Primus pots with the heat exchanger built into the bottom ...

Can you estimate the improvement in efficiency from the heat exchanger Richard? I've been thinking of fitting one to the kettle that I use with my petrol stoves, the boil time is pretty quick anyway but I'm always on the lookout for improvements in efficiency. What's the construction like?

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hi just seen this.

I like it, it's a good solid pot.

Ponassed_Chickens.jpg

As Stu says I deliberately removed the flip up handle on mine because I thought it was naff. It was indeed easy enough to remove with a pair of pliers.

Arctic_Cooking_Kit.jpg

I also bought the extra pans that can go with it, mainly because there was a decent shallow pan with a bonded aluminium base which makes a superb frying pan.

It's not light but good food is worth a bit of effort in my opinion.

Thanks Wayland
I have got one now and will be flying over to the UK today on route to wilderness gathering where my new pot will get its first stew cooked init on thurs. Its a good size and not to heavy, I have quite a lot of stuff stuffed into mine at the moment :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
can someone point me in the direction of a supplier for these billys please

thanks

stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE