Primus 71 query

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I recently bought s primus 71 on ebay. I think its a 1930's one as its got flat fuel cap lid and a soldered pressure release on the tank.

First off i pricked the jet nozzle then i replaced the original tank lid washer (which was a piece of dried leather). Washed out the tank with petrol a couple of times then refilled it and let it stand for an hour then lit it up.

it lights up ok but it doesn't get roaring like ones i have seen working in youtube vids. It has a blue flame but doesn't seem to have any oomph to it! Even with the valve fully open!!!!

is there any advice anybody could give to sort the stove out?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I'm having the same issue with my no12. It will light and burn a blue flame but splutters whilst doing so and never gets going properly.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Running on aspen 4t at the moment no pot as i just lit it a few times to test it out.

on the videos I've seem online the 71's start roaring away after a couple of minutes; mine just burns blue and splutters. The flame intensity doesn't seem to alter much when the valve spindle is turned either way.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
The jet nipple is clear then, is the tank washer you fitted right? Try it with a pot on to let it build up a bit of heat and pressure.

John you may have a problem with the jet cleaner needle which is quite common with the No12's, take it out and run the stove and see if the problem goes away. Let us know how you get on.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Yep correct washer got it from basecamp and pricked jet with the jet pricker tool; went in no problem. Will try tonight with a pot on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE