Primitive Navigation PF Simple Shadow Board

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I'm a big fan of Dave Canterbury and just watched his recent vid on YouTube.
Not fool proof navigation but OH SO SIMPLE!!!
I'm not a navigation guru but I reckon I understand the easy to remember concepts to get out of trouble should I ever need it ;)

[video=youtube;7EfDYFDCl14]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EfDYFDCl14&feature=em-uploademail[/video]

bearbait

Watched the first 3 so far. Interesting. Thanks.

The first 2 vids, at least, provide the sort of info that the sun compass used (developed?) by the LRDG in WW2 used. (Although the idea seems to have been around here in Europe since at least Viking times. And probably known by those ancient Egyptian sorts too.) The LRDG were constrained by the use of a regular magnetic compass, zapping round the deserts, as they were in metal vehicles and so used the sun compass on their vehicles.

Richard Graves in his Bushcraft book(s) also discusses this sun compass principle and suggests drawing a sun clock/sun compass on your map. He also provides corrections for latitude and equation of time (local noon varies over the year).

A problem to be aware of is getting your gnomon absolutely vertical. (No tittering at the back.) But, nonetheless, a great get-you-(close to)home tool.

DC takes it further and provides additonal and practical uses for the tool.

Ta!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE