Price and size for scotch eyed auger?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I've seen a 1" scotch eyed auger for £5 (including postage) - about 10" overall length with 8" working depth.

Is that a good size for tapping birch or would wider be better?

I can't imagine I'd find one much cheaper than that (I'm honestly not in a hurry to go around trawling car boot sales for the sake of saving a couple of quid) but is £5 including postage as good as it gets or might I be able to save a few pennies elsewhere?

If bigger would be better, can anyone suggest a good website to buy them from?
I've checked axminster, screwfix and machinemart and none of them seem to stock them.

Can't wait to have a crack at tapping when the sap's up (shouldn't be long now)!

Cheers folks.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
If the auger is new and English made (eg ex W.D) dont delay get the damned thing bought :) If its not new dont bother unless you are certain the lead screw (if it has one) isnt ruined, and that the cutting wings arent worn out from previous resharpenings. Also if its far eastern I wouldnt bother. I got a 1 inch one off ebay quite a while ago for about the same price it was unissued ex W.D stock, with no lead screw (some designs are made that way you can get a hole almost all the way through a post without the lead screw popping out and restricting your drilling depth)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I got a army surplus one as well, perfect condition, for the same price, probably off the same guy on ebay, mine had a lead screw so if you state your preferance he will probably be able to oblige.

A search on "Footprint scotch eye" will take you to plenty of sites that stock them but the price is shocking as I think they may be the last commercial manufacturer in the UK.

ATB

Tom

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Why do you want to drill a 1" hole 8" into the poor tree?

8-10mm diameter and just through the bark ( a penknife will do it also) is plenty and tap in a piece of water pipe (or the hose end) as a spile to lead the sap to your bucket via a hose.

Thanks folks.
So I take it a 1" auger is a good size for tapping brich then?
Would it be better to get one with or without a lead screw?

The description lists them as "new" so shouldn't be any problem with being worn down.

How would I go about telling whether an auger was British made or from the East? Short of asking the seller/shop (which always has the possibility of being fibbed to) which it is, is there any other way to find out?

IanM - in part because the "poor tree" doesn't have a central nervous system, so won't feel any pain, assed to that, the process doesn't do any lasting damage whatsoever so I can't see any reason NOT to do it.
And finally - who said anything about drilling 8" into the tree?

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Bigshot,

the augers that I am pretty sure you are looking at on ebay are near on perfect for the job and of good quality. Get one and stop worrying about things- they are very good value.

With regard to tree damage - any wound opened on a tree is a point for fungal ingress, something that may have longer-term health consequences for the tree. The reason for putting in a plug after tapping is both to stop the tree bleeding and to help stop colonisation from spores. Any wounding of trees should be done bearing this in mind. Pruning branches also falls into this category. It is a minor point but we should remember to be respectful and take only what we need and then try and minimise any harm done.

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Thank you Treemonk, exactly what I was trying to say.

One of the main tenets of bushcraft is respect for your surroundings (these days called your 'environment' for some reason).

In this case less is more. A little nick from a penknife will supply the same amount of sap as a 1" hole from a 10" auger. The magic is where and when the nick is made.

I'm not sure that "respect" means restricting yourself to one method of tapping over another.

I'll be using an auger for a simple reason. Not because a nick from a knife won't supply the same amount... but because it won't supply it quickly!
Not that I need everything "right now!" - because I don't. But when I'm after gathering enough sap to drink and to make wine from I'll have a choice between a slow and gentle drip from a nick and stick, or a decent flow from an auger hole...
...and considering both methods are harmless if done properly I see no reason to choose slow over quick.

If I was just after a cupfull for a taste or some sort of "start of spring" ritual drinking, I'd just use a knife, but I'm not.

Treemonk...
Thanks for that, I am indeed looking at the ebay ones, I'm not so much worried about it as I am wondering if there's anything more suitable for the job for a similar price. If they'll do the job though, great.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I'm not sure that "respect" means restricting yourself to one method of tapping over another.

I'll be using an auger for a simple reason. Not because a nick from a knife won't supply the same amount... but because it won't supply it quickly!
Not that I need everything "right now!" - because I don't. But when I'm after gathering enough sap to drink and to make wine from I'll have a choice between a slow and gentle drip from a nick and stick, or a decent flow from an auger hole...
...and considering both methods are harmless if done properly I see no reason to choose slow over quick.

If I was just after a cupfull for a taste or some sort of "start of spring" ritual drinking, I'd just use a knife, but I'm not.

Treemonk...
Thanks for that, I am indeed looking at the ebay ones, I'm not so much worried about it as I am wondering if there's anything more suitable for the job for a similar price. If they'll do the job though, great.

Considering you don't know what size of auger is good (your initial question), how do you know that you will get a 'decent flow' or even what one is?

Have you ever tapped a birch before? If yes, you probably knew the answer to your question already but inot, perhaps you could learn from the experience of others.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE