Previous life

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Anyone ever walk out on a previous life?
Been on what was an established direction - then one day , just changed gears and left it all behind?

Reactions: hudd4444

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I wouldn't use the term 'walk out' but I would use the term 'move on'. Semantics I suppose but hey ho.

I've moved on many times. Sometimes things don't turn out how you thought they'd be so you move on. Other times things are going great but a better opportunity comes along and you take it. Sometimes you have no choice in the matter and have to move on..... its life.

Quiet is the bird that lives its whole life in one nest mate....

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Macaroon and TeeDee

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
It depends on what you mean by 'walk out'.

As a child I was removed from where I lived, and had friends, and taken abroad, so lost all connections with those early friends, and dumped in a foreign school without being able to speak a word of the language. Then brought back but to a completely different part of the country where I was constantly bullied for being a 'Taff'. Left all that behind when I went to uni and never went back (that's the closest to 'walking out' - but I did take my girlfriend with me :)).

I suppose giving up a good paid job at the age of thirty to start my own business was a complete change - and eventually selling to retire was another. I've started and moved on from a few businesses and moved physically quite a lot.

But I've never walked away leaving chaos behind me; I always cleared up and made good first.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Re invent yourself?

Yes, I left home to go to Uni. Tried a few new things, was a different person for a while.

But I am now home again...and am a third person

I've walked out jobs that were affecting me and mine.

Another job will always turn up, but my wife and kids are more important.

Closest to Total Chaos would be the psychotic episode I experienced in my early twenties, six weeks in a psychiatric hospital then a move back to my family home when the fall out cleared (a little). I caused a lot of pain to those I loved and those who at the time I thought I loved and treated poorly.

What inspired this thread if I may ask?

• Sad
Reactions: TeeDee

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
I can only dream. This morning I got an email saying I'd won on the premium bonds. "Finally!" I thought. "At last I can quit my soul destroying job, move to a remote Scottish island and live the bohemian lifestyle I've always coveted."

It's a bit hard to do with 25 quid though.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It depends on what you mean by 'walk out'.

As a child I was removed from where I lived, and had friends, and taken abroad, so lost all connections with those early friends, and dumped in a foreign school without being able to speak a word of the language. Then brought back but to a completely different part of the country where I was constantly bullied for being a 'Taff'. Left all that behind when I went to uni and never went back (that's the closest to 'walking out' - but I did take my girlfriend with me :)).

I suppose giving up a good paid job at the age of thirty to start my own business was a complete change - and eventually selling to retire was another. I've started and moved on from a few businesses and moved physically quite a lot.

But I've never walked away leaving chaos behind me; I always cleared up and made good first.

I'd say walking out would infer an element of action via self decision.
Not made to do something.
I think that;s how I would define it.

What if that notion of Chaos is whats stopping you from changing your life.
If Chaos is inevitable and unavoidable - is it reason to not act?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I can only dream. This morning I got an email saying I'd won on the premium bonds. "Finally!" I thought. "At last I can quit my soul destroying job, move to a remote Scottish island and live the bohemian lifestyle I've always coveted."

It's a bit hard to do with 25 quid though.

Oh. you wanted it to be easy and have a safety net. I can only empathise.

But isn't that anxiety then that is stopping you?

( There is a kernel of seriousness I'm trying to get to. So humour me with an answer. )

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Oh. you wanted it to be easy and have a safety net. I can only empathise.

But isn't that anxiety then that is stopping you?

( There is a kernel of seriousness I'm trying to get to. So humour me with an answer. )
If I was content to live in a yurt then perhaps. If I wanted to buy a house then it's definitely a lack of finances that's holding me back. If I wanted to rent and assuming a "bohemian lifestyle" does not involve an income then I'm not sure that a financial death spiral is something to be ignored!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
What if that notion of Chaos is whats stopping you from changing your life.
If Chaos is inevitable and unavoidable - is it reason to not act?

If leaving chaos behind meant that I had ruined others' lives I would not have done it; but I was in the fortunate position, in each case, to tie up the loose strings. If the chaos was inevitable, whether I stayed or left, I am fairly sure I would leave. I should point out that, on more than one occasion, tying up the loose strings cost me in money, time, and significant stress. I would do it all exactly the same though :)

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Hell of a thing to wake up one day to realize that somebody has set fire to both ends of your bridge. I had to go for the sake of my mental health. A slow second start doing damage control but in this day and time, I'll say that I'm comfortable and have very little to bitch, moan and complain about.

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
Anyone ever walk out on a previous life?
Been on what was an established direction - then one day , just changed gears and left it all behind?

yes. I was middle management, set in a career trajectory, at a well known department store chain, and I handed in my notice and went to uni (as a proper adult) and became a nurse.

i've walked out more than once on hominids who disappointed / bull******* me without telling them -- including my own relatives and my first passport country (after 3years, several setbacks and lots of hassle i'm since today officially citizen of another country :cool: and don't have to hang my head in shame anymore when crossing a border)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I was a computer programmer/operator for a commercial bank in Brussels - after a year I realised I hated it, binned the job and returned to the UK living out of a rucksack for a year ... my first job after school, career change at 20 :)
Later on I got bored working in Outdoor Centers - so binned that career and went to Coll to study fashion for 2 years ending up designing for such folk as Craghoppers. Decided I did not want to be a full time designer and went back to Outdoor Instruction but also writing for Outdoor magazines.
I got bored with writing and idiot editors so binned that and I am now a professional Iron Age Warrior and Bushcraft Instructor for Pembrokeshire National Park :) - I also did some other jobs along the way that did not last ... and some ex jobs are now hobbies....

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I was a farmer, 7th generation. Got pushed off the land by family that just wanted the money and sold the land, ended up a gerenal labourer (and told I would not be able to do any better by people and family that wanted to keep me down) ....got fed up and went to college, then university....was in botanical genetics for a time.......now a academic doctor and have written law / policy for the UK and EU.

Currently keeping your drinking water safe :)

I am proof not to under estimate people

Last edited:

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I am proof not to under estimate people
THIS.

I had numerous people, family and friends all laugh when I told them I was going to uni to be a nurse. ‘Just going for the girls’ ‘you won’t make it, you aren’t cut out’, even my mum and dad thought it was some weird ‘act of rebellion’ when I graduated my dad apologised for not believing in me. Pretty much the only person that ‘had my back’ at the time was my brother.

been a nurse 16 years now.

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I meant more , has anyone just walked out... never to return. No planning. No tying things up. Just , out the door and keep going.

Let everything go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE