Pressure paraffin lantern

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have just been given a pristine, new in it's box, complete with all spares, Vapalux lantern. :D Much chuffed :cool:

However, in my shed I have a (very dusty, in dire need of a good clean up )1977 version of this. It does work but it needs a new leather piston cup washer.

I also have an old brass (looks painted on tbh) lantern that only carries the writing and number "567X Made in United Kingdom", on it.

Anyone have any idea what the latter one is ? It's also complete, in need of a thorough clean up, probably needs new washers.

Any idea if the two dusty ones are worth bartering on ? and if so, at what kind of fair exchange?

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I did that last night, but they don't have any marks that match the brass 'painted' one.

It's kind of solid looking, cage around the globe, seems sound. I'd just like to know what I have.

I happily barter stuff, but I'm not for giving someone a dud.

Better deals on fully complete and working lanterns available from Endicott's, incidentally :approve:

No connection, just a very happy customer :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the Vapalux too.
Any idea on a rough swap value for the old one ? Firesteel ? Mora ? Ti Spork ? 2m Goretex ? that kind of thing idea.

Thank you for the link, a quick search shows nothing with the numbers I have but I'll have a longer peruse later.
Excellent site though :)

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It is indeed a Tilley, it looks identical to this one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/tilley-storm-...ighting_Lamps_Lighting_SM?hash=item33575ebe32

I've cleaned up both of them and they're working fine. The Vapalux did need a new cup washer, but once that was in, off it went no bother.
Had to bodge a preheat clamp thingie for the Tilley (stole Spikey's idea and used a meths soaked cotton wool filled teaball :rolleyes: )

cheers,
Toddy

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE