Preppers meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 27, 2017
Shanklin
Have any of you guys been to the Preppers meet as Church farm, Ardley?
I've been meaning to go for a couple of years. This year I might actually make it.
If you've been, did you enjoy it?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I went a couple years ago.

I found it a bit clicque and had to chuckle to myself at the sheer amount of Rambo style 'survival' knives being worn. Other than that is was an enjoyable meet.

Couple bit of advice is don't get your meat from the farm shop, extremely expensive for what you get. Secondly take your own source of firewood because that's also extremely expensive if you buy it on site.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2017
Shanklin
I went a couple years ago.

I found it a bit clicque and had to chuckle to myself at the sheer amount of Rambo style 'survival' knives being worn. Other than that is was an enjoyable meet.

Couple bit of advice is don't get your meat from the farm shop, extremely expensive for what you get. Secondly take your own source of firewood because that's also extremely expensive if you buy it on site.

Thanks for the advice Mesquite. I'll plan accordingly.

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
When is the meet? Church Farm is only 10 minutes up the road for me but I've read mixed reviews of the site so never made the effort. I really should go and see for myself.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
I've been to Church farm and thought it was quite a pleasant campsite. I concur with the previous comment about the wood and meat being expensive, so take some fire wood with you. There's a nice pub just by the entrance to the site, well worth a visit!

I've not been to the preppers meet though, not really my bag if I'm honest.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I've seen some utube videos about the previous years meets and looks much like many bushcraft meets to be honest, hammocks and bivvi camping etc.

Not my thing really, although could be fine just as a weekend camping, have a look here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLSOw4p3_sU&t=844s

That's what I thought about it when I went.

There were a few folks with their 'bug out' vehicles but you could see those types at any 4x4 rally.

As I said I enjoyed it as a weekend camping in the woods with fairly like minded folks

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just out of interest, What kind of self defence stuff does the UK Prepper hoard?
In the US it is usually a couple of cases of M-16's, AK 47 and 74's and a containerful of ammo.
Plus a couple of six packs of Miller Light.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Thanks, so they prepare for a different scenario.

So the UK prepper stocks up on Earl Grey, Pg Tips and McVities?

Having mainly US Tv channels, we see what type of preparation they do over there.

Also, in the year after the last Presidents election, we were unable to buy ammunition, as they had a shortage. After his second election, the next 2 years were difficult on the ammo front.

Last edited:

alphaburner

Jan 17, 2014
Cork, Ireland
Thanks, so they prepare for a different scenario.

So the UK prepper stocks up on Earl Grey, Pg Tips and McVities?

Having mainly US Tv channels, we see what type of preparation they do over there.

Also, in the year after the last Presidents election, we were unable to buy ammunition, as they had a shortage. After his second election, the next 2 years were difficult on the ammo front.

Thank God for the new guy so. There is a very good chance they will get to use their stockpiles with Trump in charge.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I've been to the preppers meet a couple of years ago and there was a lot of Rambo type people there,but each to there own most people think bushcrafters are odd.I was tucked away in the woods and had a pleasant time,as Barney and others have said the farm shop is expensive but all organic and all sourced from the farm itself.I have also spent a weekend in one of the cabins there in October last year very much enjoyed that.And yes the pub is worth a visit.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia

But the reason for that was the unfounded fear that the Obama administration was going to crack down on ammunition, etc, and so there was panic buying. Thus the classic laws of supply and demand kicked in, and supplies dwindled (even though manufacturers ramped up production) and prices went up. And the shortage led to even more panic buying, since people then believed it was sort of government action to restrict supply, and so on.

Remarkably, this happened again in 2012-3, for much the same (again unfounded) reason.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
You tell me.... I had to buy some POS ammo, still using it, have about 1000 rounds left. The bullets have a tendency to start coming out of the casing while you are shooting. Bad crimping. POS ammo is named 'American Eagle'.

I want to buy the Czech Sellier & Bellot or in worst case the Finnish Lapua but the club is unwilling.... Had to order Remington.

But the reason for that was the unfounded fear that the Obama administration was going to crack down on ammunition, etc, and so there was panic buying. Thus the classic laws of supply and demand kicked in, and supplies dwindled (even though manufacturers ramped up production) and prices went up. And the shortage led to even more panic buying, since people then believed it was sort of government action to restrict supply, and so on.

Remarkably, this happened again in 2012-3, for much the same (again unfounded) reason.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE