Preppers bikes.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I reckon that electric bikes can't be ignored in this context.
Plug it into solar and fuel it up.

Ok so it's not very Mad Max but I reckon one would get you beyond Beyond Thunderdome.
Ahem.

Reactions: mowerman

dp0001

Forager
Apr 27, 2007
London
Ultimate prepper bike wouldn't look like a prepper bike, something ubiquitous so parts are easy to get and can be parked up without attracting too much attention. 2nd hand old model faux dirt bike perhaps

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Difficult to pedal or push once you run out of fuel.......

A proper, oldfashioned bicycle, one gear and normal tyres. Get an extra chain and you are good to go for a hundred years.

I feel sorry for the Preppers. All they eat is the cans that are going out of date........

I am a Prepper of a sort. Have been getting the knowledge to survive nicely without the modern stuff for most of my life.
Have the tools to help me in most situations too..

Reactions: grip

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Something like the jump bikes single speed strong frame ,or a old MTB converted to single speed.

that's probably correct. My current bike is a Surly Karate Monkey single speed, which replaced my old Specialized Rock Hopper, which has a single speed conversion. Both worked very well.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
that's probably correct. My current bike is a Surly Karate Monkey single speed, which replaced my old Specialized Rock Hopper, which has a single speed conversion. Both worked very well.
I have a norco one25 though I might put gears on it as I'm getting on and unfit

Reactions: GuestD

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
I have a norco one25 though I might put gears on it as I'm getting on and unfit

I'm going to build a wheel with a Shimano 8 speed Alfine hub for mine and stick some racks on it. Another bike I had, and regretted giving away, was a Kona World Bike. It had a three speed Shimano hub, and I did thousands of trouble free touring miles with it, fully loaded.
bike.jpg

It cost me £175, in an end of season sale.

Reactions: CLEM

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I went out on my old specialized Hardrock yesterday went pass a field of oil seed rape and it damn near killed me lol

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Just a little bump if your considering a bike don’t bother with a Halfords carrera unless you want to learn bike mechanics an prepared to replace everything apart from the frame
I bought Carrera Subway for £50 off a certain auction site admittedly secondhand all the fittings rusted the back wheel bearings went just after I got it, luckily I bought another retro Mtb with high end parts sold the suspension forks for more than I bought the bike fitted the v brakes and 26 inch wheels to my subway and I’m going to convert it to single speed so it will be a robust lightweight bike , as the 16 inch alloy frame is quite good.
Pic was before I fitted the other parts.And I had already upgraded the stem and bars .

Attachments

• 51D7C39D-04C8-4F59-A285-B9B12BFEA26C.jpeg
    51D7C39D-04C8-4F59-A285-B9B12BFEA26C.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Considering how the state of the roads after a couple of years of zero maintenance I imagine the best bike would be a pedal bike with thick and wide tyres?

(Had this been an US site, a gun rack and the ability to transport a couple of thousand rounds would be quite important. :). )

A proper, oldfashioned bicycle, one gear and normal tyres. Get an extra chain and you are good to go for a hundred years.

maybe slightly off topic but i remember a friend telling me that after WWII they used to cut discs it of rubber and string them on wires as tyres were not available. he grew up as a kid in the area where the red army and us troops had the real first meeting (not where most sources place it) at the end of the war....

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
maybe slightly off topic but i remember a friend telling me that after WWII they used to cut discs it of rubber and string them on wires as tyres were not available. he grew up as a kid in the area where the red army and us troops had the real first meeting (not where most sources place it) at the end of the war....
The Americans were much, much further East that today’s adjusted history tells us.
But they had to pull back to the line the dying one, the drunk one and the powerful one ‘agreed on at Jalta

Where is your friend from?

As a note, the Airborne had a weird little motor cycle dad said.
Could be quickly reassembled, small, low, long. Could seat a couple of guys.
I think that was how he described it.

A good preppers ( motor)cycle?

Last edited:

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
quite common in occupied France, leather and cork was also used.
I used to have one of these,
BSA1.jpg

And a couple of these,
Welbike.jpg

All ex British army, and being honest, not very good.

The Americans were much, much further East that today’s adjusted history tells us.
But they had to pull back to the line the sick, the drunk and the powerful agreed on at Jalta

Where is your friend from?

sorry that i go off topic but to answer the question: the leaders of the Allies used matches to draw the future borders of Poland and germany during one of their meetings (iirc Yalta), as the western allies wanted control over the prussian capital they compensated the Soviet Union with territory (Thuringia and Saxony). Most sources give Torgau as the place of first meeting of Red Army and us troops BUT that was the first meeting of top brass.... .there were several attempts of meeting from the yanks (as they wanted to write their names into history books) with small patrols in jeeps, the first recorded meeting took place ca. 50km south of torgau, also along the banks of the Elbe river (the peace treaty of the 7-years-war -- the 18th century version of a world war -- was signed a few km West of it in the same county and in 1813 Napoleon came through on his retreat from Russia and got his rear end kicked near Leipzig); my friends wife is a survivor of the bombing of Dresden...

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
quite common in occupied France, leather and cork was also used.
I used to have one of these,
BSA1.jpg

And a couple of these,
Welbike.jpg

All ex British army, and being honest, not very good.
It did the job.
The Americans had ( of course) several different ones.

As with much wartime equipment, they were hastily done, by an inexperienced workforce.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE