Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There were a couple of five-new-home developments near to me in and around 2010 where solar thermal was installed. I think there was a reg to make developers fit at this time but looks like it was dropped pdq. Shame.
Similar to me as a ‘Brickie’ from 1980 onwards with the opportunity to properly insulate new-build homes with good insulation. Which simply never happened. I do feel guilty for not actually making a fuss. But I’d have lost my job at the time.
Re-building my own house, particularly with the situation right now. £60 for a 120mm sheet of insulation seems cheap when most homeowners are looking at a £2.5k annual heating bill!!!!!!!
S
Cost for Celotex/Kingspan at the moment makes my eyes ( and wallet ) bleed.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Ex Travis a 120mm 8’x4 sheet is £60 or so.
Wedged in between your 150mm vaulted ceiling this will stop heat escaping big time.
£2.5k heating bills make my eyes water and the cost of one sheet pales into insignificance if you forward ten years.
S

Reactions: TeeDee

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
House roof with 120mm of insulation. You can’t do this later.

Attachments

• 738A204F-DE75-446A-A776-4A5D4CEE75CA.jpeg
    738A204F-DE75-446A-A776-4A5D4CEE75CA.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 11

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
House roof with 120mm of insulation. You can’t do this later.

Of course you can - its just ridiculously expensive to retrospectively do it!! :)

Totally agree - ensuring good insulation from the start or topping up what you do have is good.

Unfortunately with such a mixed bag of UK housing stock there is only so much that can be done to improve the bread-&-butter 2 up-2 down typical city/housing stock apart from hit-n-miss external cladding which aesthetically is a pretty as putting glitter on a dogs whoopsie.

• Love
Reactions: swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Of course you can - its just ridiculously expensive to retrospectively do it!! :)

Totally agree - ensuring good insulation from the start or topping up what you do have is good.

Unfortunately with such a mixed bag of UK housing stock there is only so much that can be done to improve the bread-&-butter 2 up-2 down typical city/housing stock apart from hit-n-miss external cladding which aesthetically is a pretty as putting glitter on a dogs whoopsie.
I do the glitter sprinkle often!

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Think carefully about what you do to your property before you go ahead, we had "Free" cavity wall insulation installed some years ago after advice, what they didnt tell us was that the insulation material bridges the cavity and negates the damp course causing severe internal damp. I had to pay for a new membrane dampcourse to be fitted to the whole downstairs floor of the house - at one hell of a cost!!

Reactions: wookii and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Think carefully about what you do to your property before you go ahead, we had "Free" cavity wall insulation installed some years ago after advice, what they didnt tell us was that the insulation material bridges the cavity and negates the damp course causing severe internal damp. I had to pay for a new membrane dampcourse to be fitted to the whole downstairs floor of the house - at one hell of a cost!!

I can imagine that.
I think there will be an increase in external cladding companies popping up over the next decade as we attempt to hit green targets.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I can imagine that.
I think there will be an increase in external cladding companies popping up over the next decade as we attempt to hit green targets.
And therein lies one of the problems, every fly by night cowboy 'builder' east of the pacific will be knocking on your door telling you they've got material left from the last job and they can do you a real good price. And 'fix' your roof at the same time.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've decided against cavity wall insulation being pumped in here as we live in a wet area of the UK and from last experience the drilling of the holes to pump it in leaves too much material bridging the cavity.

Somewhat stupidly having cavity wall insulation is a prerequisite of some other government grants.

I would be interested to hear any recommendations for DIY external cladding options and experience with extending the roof over the new cladding.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
It is not an overly difficult calculation to check what level of insulation makes economic sense. Here (Finland) it is of the order of 250mm of mineral wool insulation in the walls, that is also about what the building codes require. Moisture control is usually done by the wall total construction, not by insulation. It can get a bit tricky in some climates.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The afternoon summer sunshine can be hotter than Hades here in the Fraser River valley. 60 cm out, my westside is entirely covered with grape vines which provide possibly 10C shade in my kitchen. I can't see out my kitchen windows for a few months but I can tolerate that.
250mm insulation in the ceiling with passive turbine ventilation.
125mm insulation and vapor barriers in all the exterior walls.
Works well for both out winters and out summers. I have observed +47C in the summer shade. -30C in the dark of mid winter.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Started to think about next winter already.
My electric is my main worry, and have most things covered except showering.
Some time ago, I saw something about a camping pressure shower that looked, and operated like those weed sprayers, and thought it was a great idea, but (as I rarely shop online) I decided I could find an ordinary pressure sprayer and fettle it a bit with a shower head attached and make my own. Water heated on the outbacker and I'd be sorted.
Today in liddell I found one for about a tenner, and attached a new rod from b and m with a "spray" function. (£8.00) and it works ! So if the power goes out, I can still shower.

I've also stocked up on a few more tins of veg and fruit, plus sugar and salt for preserving my produce.
Making elderflower cordial tomorrow, and this year I will put it into kilner jars, and water bath it to preserve it for longer.
A glut of rhubarb will also make rhubarb cordial.
I'm also attempting to knit a vest! Got a very old pattern, and some cheap odd balls of wool from the charity shop to make it. I will have a vest of many colours. :)

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
What about an overland style shower?

I'm looking for one that will run off a gas bottle and a water butt for the supply. It's the time of year where some folks get their campers ready for the summer, so upgrades and selling old kit?

It can be hung on a nail in a door or fence and hot water on demand?

Attachments

• Frame1-min_1728x_577e3c6e-304b-4210-82d9-ad0f406a0568_886x.png
    Frame1-min_1728x_577e3c6e-304b-4210-82d9-ad0f406a0568_886x.png
    105.7 KB · Views: 9

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I watched quite a bit of this USA family longish term 4x4 touring with a posh trailer tent. Since I couldn't find the sort of gas heated shower they use in the clip below I decided on a stainless 12l bucket to heat water in and a rechargeable battery powered shower (which my wife uses at home too for maybe two years so far?) like the pic below described as a Portable shower camping shower outdoor shower built in 48oomAh battery electric rechargeable shower

Attachments

• rechargable shower.JPG
    rechargable shower.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 8

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Those look great, and very handy. Probably will give a superior shower to my simple set up, but then I can't stretch to those sort of prices. Also, I like to keep things simple.
My solution is cheap, and affordable, and nothing much to go wrong, and if it does is fairly easily and cheaply fixed, or replaced.
Everyone can pop to a garden shop or liddell and b and m and make this for themselves at very little cost.
It's very light, and doesn't take up much room. Perfect for one or two people to use.
If I had a family, I might want something a bit more efficient and robust.
This simple set up washed my long hair and gave me a good shower, though it did need a small top up to rinse my hair properly, but it was no more than a pint and a half. As I hadn't filled it right up to start with, I think a full, fill will do sufficiently. It's just a case of knowing how much water I needed. I was trying to keep water use to a minimum to start off with. The less I need to heat up, the better!
Anyway, I'm pleased with it.

Reactions: Decacraft

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
Those look great, and very handy. Probably will give a superior shower to my simple set up, but then I can't stretch to those sort of prices. Also, I like to keep things simple.
My solution is cheap, and affordable, and nothing much to go wrong, and if it does is fairly easily and cheaply fixed, or replaced.
Everyone can pop to a garden shop or liddell and b and m and make this for themselves at very little cost.
It's very light, and doesn't take up much room. Perfect for one or two people to use.
If I had a family, I might want something a bit more efficient and robust.
This simple set up washed my long hair and gave me a good shower, though it did need a small top up to rinse my hair properly, but it was no more than a pint and a half. As I hadn't filled it right up to start with, I think a full, fill will do sufficiently. It's just a case of knowing how much water I needed. I was trying to keep water use to a minimum to start off with. The less I need to heat up, the better!
Anyway, I'm pleased with it.
The only thing that matters is that you are pleased with it, me Im happy with a bucket of warm water - either that or a plastic bag with a few holes poked in it.

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The only thing that matters is that you are pleased with it, me Im happy with a bucket of warm water - either that or a plastic bag with a few holes poked in it.
I agree, but my long hair needs more than a rinse in slightly soapy water, and I can't bend over the sink to wash my hair any more. It's too painful, so a shower for my hair is important.
Nothing wrong with washing little ones in the sink to save hot water, or doing a strip wash every day which is what I do, saving a hair wash and proper shower for once or twice a week, depending on my social engagements (rare!) Or how much I have been grafting in the garden. (Often)

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I agree, but my long hair needs more than a rinse in slightly soapy water, and I can't bend over the sink to wash my hair any more. It's too painful, so a shower for my hair is important.
Nothing wrong with washing little ones in the sink to save hot water, or doing a strip wash every day which is what I do, saving a hair wash and proper shower for once or twice a week, depending on my social engagements (rare!) Or how much I have been grafting in the garden. (Often)
What's the volume of your pump bottle?

With my hair, decent water pressure is key for any shower, but I can get by with a 1-1.5 litre jug, bending over the tub. Well, in soft water areas anyway. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE