Preparing for troubled times ahead - Advice on what is needed.....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Coach

Banned
Oct 3, 2017
Uk
I met a coastal forager the other week near Tenby in Wales.
He said theres certain cultures of restaurant owners who come & take all the shell fish with no consideration for others or the ecosystem.
Damn shame.
I had no reason to disbelieve him as he seemed very knowledgeable & passionate of his surrounding area.
He also cooked & shared his meagre catch with me & said 10 or 20 years ago he could get bucket loads of shell fish if he so wished, but only took what he needed to feed himself.
He also pointed to all the spider crab pots on the foreshore.. apparently they just mince them all up & use them for fish bait on the trawlers. I can’t repeat the colourful language he used on here.
Theres nothing unusual there, when I was a kid you could catch herring off the Yorkshire coast, bucketfuls of mackerel off the piers here and rake sandeels for bass fishing from the beaches, unfortunately man has never given two hoots for sustainability or stock protection, short terms greed is the byword of the day.

Reactions: Great egret

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
What are the chances the UK will be locked down again this winter do you think?
The Monkeypox story just keeps stuttering along but I can't see that becoming too disruptive? Another Covid variant may be discovered and pushed as requiring the Govt to to do something to protect us? Or has the public had enough so will say no?
So is more or less prepping required going into this winter than last?

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
The Monkeypox story just keeps stuttering along but I can't see that becoming too disruptive? Another Covid variant may be discovered and pushed as requiring the Govt to to do something to protect us? Or has the public had enough so will say no?
I would need some convincing to fully lock down again this winter. Once the supply chain got into swing there was plenty of food in the shops.
I just keep enough staples and frozen bits in to cover a week or so.

Reactions: grizzlyj and Coach

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
The Monkeypox story just keeps stuttering along but I can't see that becoming too disruptive? Another Covid variant may be discovered and pushed as requiring the govt to to do something to protect us? Or has the public had enough so will say no?
I don't know about locked down but there are quite a few who should be locked up. :rolleyes:

D

Deleted member 56522

Every study shows the lockups were useless (not down ... that was their psyops). So, there is absolutely no valid scientific reason for another lockup, indeed, after Sweden peaked without a lockup, there was clear evidence against lockups. That is what the evidence shows, and if the government were using "evidence based policy" not only would a winter lockup be entirely out the question, but so too would have been any since May 2020.

So, why did we suffer the lockups?

The questions we have to ask, are these: Was it just hysteria that led to the government and so many other people ditching the well laid plans before covid and instigating policies that breached human rights, or was it deliberate? And if it was hysteria, does that hysteria remain? And lastly, if it was hysteria, WHO was creating that hysteria or was it Big Pharma and the profit motive as we saw during Bird Flu, some years ago, when a massive media campaign came out of nowhere to scare the populace into demanding some new drug .... which was never used ... but which made the drug company a lot of money.

When we know the answers to those, we'll know whether a bug like MoneyPox which was rated low risk until someone saw the potential to sell another jab to the monkey's in parliament, will lead to another "You'll be locked up until you take our jab and make us profitable" winter scare.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
@Sekwo,
You are straying dangerously close to politics. It would be a shame if this thread were to get closed, or require pruning.

The reason that this site has rules for not discussing politics or religion is that these can be very polarizing subjects that can get folk quite worked up in defence of their position. We see the same kind of effect on threads discussing the climate, gender/race equality and the Covid pandemic. You have posted your views on several threads and I know that the only reason those threads have not spiralled down is that you have not been challenged by anyone who holds similarly strong opposing views. Do not take the lack of challenge as folk agreeing with your views. As we saw in the climate thread, there are folk here from all corners. Most folk choose not to share views they know could start arguments. We would appreciate it if you could do the same.

One small additional point.
"Every study shows the lockups were useless"
For any of the contentious subjects of today, if you look, you can find studies to support about any point of view you wish to espouse. So writing/reading that "Every study shows..." should be a red flag that there is a bit too much bias in whatever comes next.

Regards

Chris

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is a second Mod saying, "enough".

Please return the thread to it's original intent. It's contentious enough without adding anything to the fire.

Please re-read the guidelines you agreed to when you joined the forum

No political discussion is quite clear, so is the bit about paying heed to the Mods.

Your understanding would be much appreciated.

Toddy

Reactions: Winnet and Coach

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Please re-read the guidelines you agreed to when you joined the site.

Specifically
1 - Community and site moderation
Admin and Moderators on bushcraft uk will use the rules and their own judgement to moderate. They have full authority to act when & how they see fit and all members should abide by what they suggest or enforce. Due to bushcraft uk being a private forum the admin and moderators act on behalf of the owner and enforce the rules and standards set out here and those given to them verbally.

Guidance for members: Abide by the decisions of the moderators, do not argue or challenge them on the forums. If you disagree with a decision contact them or admin via PM and state clearly and politely your concerns and they will be dealt with. An alternative is to use the report post function with an explanation. Anyone being argumentative, rude or a consistent nuisance will be carded or banned.

Be patient, sometimes things cannot be addressed straight away.

It is expected that members of bushcraft uk will self moderate, if this is done the moderator team will not have to moderate members or threads.

and

5 - Forum subject matter
Some subjects should be avoided on bushcraft uk. Firstly any subject that the moderators say is not appropriate should not be discussed. Particular problem subjects where moderator guidance should be followed are those such as politics, survivalism (often becomes extreme), legal systems, TV shows and criticism of people, religion - this list is not all inclusive and members are expected to follow guidance given by moderators and other members that know the ropes.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
To put Toddy's last two posts into context, after I posted asking Sekwo to self moderate future posts, he made a further five posts either in the same vein, replying to other members, or arguing that it was the moderators introducing politics by asking him to moderate his posts and complaining of censorship. These posts were removed (privately owned forum, you argue with the moderators, its going to get censored)

We try to keep this place running harmoniously and we try to manage it so that we don't lose members, either because of over moderating, or because of under moderating. The losses that we tend to feel most are the ones from under moderating. This can be where valued, long standing, members leave because they are fed up with some other members' unchecked posting style. Or as a recent example, where we lost Le Loup's excellent content after his post about climate change didn't get the response he was expecting.

There are subjects that everyone knows are divisive. Everyone should know that getting on their soap box and making long or numerous posts about these subjects could provoke more of a reaction than an occasional shorter post, or better yet, keeping those thoughts to oneself. The moderators are going to care if that reaction is either arguments and bad feeling on the forum, or members simply ceasing to post/visit because the forum is no longer what they want to read.

This forum is about sharing skills and information about the outdoors. It is richer when we do that. Posts that share our theories about the motives of government and corporations, or our thoughts about socio-economics and politics do not add nearly so much value.

Regards

Chris

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
On topic, and personally I am looking at reducing my monthly spendings if I can provide it myself.
There's things I will always need to buy in life, but I think I would like to do what I can to provide for myself.

This means-

A stinky log burner is going in the living room over the summer, I have been processing some oak and birch, but it won't be dry this year.

Made a start on a small vegetable garden, and am considering digging a root cellar for storage.

The shed roof is being replaced, and will be attaching solar panels at the same time, and considering running a feed back to the house to lower the bill, or building a utility room to house the washing machine and freezer and having a small setup to keep that covered.

Reactions: SaraR and wookii

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think that's a very good point. Reduce the spending if you can. It helps create a cushion, and if it gives somefolks enough to reduce any debt that they have, or have to service, then that clears their feet a bit more if things do go amiss.

It's easy to say (write) this, but for many it's a hard road. We live in such an immediate world.

@Decacraft , best of luck with it :) I think the utility room idea sounds really good. How about one of those small wind turbine things to give power all year long. There used to be a lot of diy plans around for them. They ended up about the size of a small outboard motor, iirc. I think the biggest constraint with them and solar ends up being the batteries though.

M

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I think that's a very good point. Reduce the spending if you can. It helps create a cushion, and if it gives somefolks enough to reduce any debt that they have, or have to service, then that clears their feet a bit more if things do go amiss.

It's easy to say (write) this, but for many it's a hard road. We live in such an immediate world.

@Decacraft , best of luck with it :) I think the utility room idea sounds really good. How about one of those small wind turbine things to give power all year long. There used to be a lot of diy plans around for them. They ended up about the size of a small outboard motor, iirc. I think the biggest constraint with them and solar ends up being the batteries though.

M
I have looked at those, but apparently the cost of them and what they will actually provide doesn't weigh up.
Truth be told I'm eyeing up a 400w turbine, I have plenty of scaffold I can use for the flagpole, and I want to see what it provides me in real world usage, it won't hurt to have something additional and alternative to sunlight.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
A neighbour bought a cheap 600W turbine off amazon that was supposedly made in Germany but I don't think it lasted a year before the bearings broke up.
I have mentioned Scoraig Wind's website before. I have his diy wind turbine book and have recently actually reading it to see what's needed. Six magnets (46x30x10mm N42) for the smallest 1200mm dia, which van hub, how to shape the blades from wood, a disc of steel cut to a certain size and where you can order that online etc, detailed how tos. Some fab work required but it's not a massive thing for the smallest one. Many built using his info worldwide in the sort of places you couldn't buy one if you wanted to.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've often thought of getting a small wind turbine, the sort you get for boats, to back up a small solar panel. But that was when I lived in a mobile home. Nowadays, I'm in a fully functioning house, with an air source heat pump, but not sure I can even afford to run that this winter.
I have an inset multifuel stove, for back up heating, but its useless for cooking on. Sadly I had to accept the one the h/a provided if I wanted one at all.
I'm not allowed to have a wind turbine or solar panels, realy stupid in my eyes, as I'd rather have had solar panels than the heat pump.
Meanwhile, I'm growing as much veg as I can, upping my foraging and canning skills, and amassing as many other off grid type things as I can. For instance, I use a spong mincer instead of an electric wizzer, to make humous and pate or generaly grind up things. It's very effective and uses no power. I bought a second hand carpet sweeper, and as many hand tools as I can find. Drills saws billhooks etc. A singer hand sewing machine is cheap, and very useful of late, in making some curtains and a few simple clothes.
These small changes give me great satisfaction in slowing down and realy concentrating on making things that I now realy look after as I've made them rather than pressed a button to order online.
The world seems to be all about convenience and doing things faster and more efficiently, yet nobody has any time anymore. Rush, rush, rush, to fit in more and more things. Fill our houses with more and more junk that won't work in a power cut.
Time to slow down, and realy think about what we are doing to ourselves and future generations.... and the planet.
Plan for a future that is more like our grandparents had, and I don't mean that everyone should deliberately go backwards, just that by tweaking things we can realy make a difference, but still enjoy a better lifestyle. But I guess that's a subjective idea. What is a better lifestyle to some, ie smallholding, is a nightmare to others, who just can't cope without posh restaurants, shiny 4×4s, theatres, and out of season food.

Reactions: swyn and nigelp

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
I've often thought of getting a small wind turbine, the sort you get for boats, to back up a small solar panel. But that was when I lived in a mobile home. Nowadays, I'm in a fully functioning house, with an air source heat pump, but not sure I can even afford to run that this winter.
I have an inset multifuel stove, for back up heating, but its useless for cooking on. Sadly I had to accept the one the h/a provided if I wanted one at all.
I'm not allowed to have a wind turbine or solar panels, realy stupid in my eyes, as I'd rather have had solar panels than the heat pump.
Meanwhile, I'm growing as much veg as I can, upping my foraging and canning skills, and amassing as many other off grid type things as I can. For instance, I use a spong mincer instead of an electric wizzer, to make humous and pate or generaly grind up things. It's very effective and uses no power. I bought a second hand carpet sweeper, and as many hand tools as I can find. Drills saws billhooks etc. A singer hand sewing machine is cheap, and very useful of late, in making some curtains and a few simple clothes.
These small changes give me great satisfaction in slowing down and realy concentrating on making things that I now realy look after as I've made them rather than pressed a button to order online.
The world seems to be all about convenience and doing things faster and more efficiently, yet nobody has any time anymore. Rush, rush, rush, to fit in more and more things. Fill our houses with more and more junk that won't work in a power cut.
Time to slow down, and realy think about what we are doing to ourselves and future generations.... and the planet.
Plan for a future that is more like our grandparents had, and I don't mean that everyone should deliberately go backwards, just that by tweaking things we can realy make a difference, but still enjoy a better lifestyle. But I guess that's a subjective idea. What is a better lifestyle to some, ie smallholding, is a nightmare to others, who just can't cope without posh restaurants, shiny 4×4s, theatres, and out of season food.

Even if you are unable to have solar on the roof of the house, you can still have a portable panel that can be put up to charge a main battery/ devices in any open area.

A few friends introduced me to portable power banks, they use theirs to charge all devices, some get a week, others 2 weeks and then charge it up in the sun when need be.

I have done the same with an electric bike, and I am convinced there are systems out there (albeit a few £££) that will charge an electric vehicle, thus eliminating having an ev charger installed or paying actual money to charge them.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Even if you are unable to have solar on the roof of the house, you can still have a portable panel that can be put up to charge a main battery/ devices in any open area.

A few friends introduced me to portable power banks, they use theirs to charge all devices, some get a week, others 2 weeks and then charge it up in the sun when need be.

I have done the same with an electric bike, and I am convinced there are systems out there (albeit a few £££) that will charge an electric vehicle, thus eliminating having an ev charger installed or paying actual money to charge them.

I think an electric bike , albeit even a knocked up home made style one is probably a great idea now.

Reactions: Woody girl and swyn

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
The best £3.5k that I spent on ‘renewable’ items is my solar hot water array.
Next experiment is a 12Kw GSHP.
This is in its infancy right now but give me a couple of years and I will be able to tell on its operation.
I have altered my 1859 Victorian farm house to cope with the requirements to make this set up efficient. This hasn’t been easy what with being admitted to hospital and covid and and the recent upheavals. But I have the basic set-up in place so the rest is mainly physical effort.
S

Reactions: Woody girl

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have been thinking about solar hot water, my house backs on to the South West and gets a lot of sun.
@swyn, have you posted on here about your set up? Would be interested to read about it.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I'm useless at understanding enough to be able to decide about solar, but I do have a small plug and play portable panel, I just find it realy slow to charge my phone, sometimes many hours and I still have less than 50%charge in it. Power banks I have 3. But again I find charging and recharging slow.
I'm looking at getting a jackery, or bluetti type , with a solar panel. Does anyone have any recommendations?
It will need to run a dab radio, and a bedside light, charge a phone, or power bank and a rechargeable torch, so it doesn't need to be something mega enough to power a fridge, or run a cooker or washing machine. I have other low tech solutions for all that.
What would anyone recommend?
I don't have wads of cash, so price is important too., but I'd be willing to pay a little bit more for better performance. I need at least one proper plug, but would prefer two. Though two are luxurious!
Gotta have a bit of luxury when roughing it somewhere!
I get so turned about watching countless yt,s on this subject, and end up remembering nothing useful to be able to compare and make up my mind.
Recommendations anyone please?
£500 top wack for panel and battery, cheaper is better! Then I can afford a e bike too!
That's a point,.. what about charging an e bike if the power is out? Can one of these things do that too? If so, which?
Questions, questions, questions.
I'm dizzy! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE