Practical Tips

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a book that could get me started on tracking? I've had a copy of "Animal Tracks and Signs" by Bang & Dahlstrom for a couple of years now that has proved to be very interesting in track ID but it doesn't really teach you tracking techniques, tips etc.

There seems to be a whole world of books on tracking at amazon.co.uk but was just wondering if there was a book that was (fairly) universally accepted as being the ideal beginners "manual"? ....... or is this holy grail of tracking?!?

Look forward to hearing any suggestions.

Cheers

Beer Monster

P.S. Also hope to do a course soon could someone point me in the right direction there too?!?

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
P.S. Also hope to do a course soon could someone point me in the right direction there too?!?
www.shadowhawk.co.uk ...... or any other school where a shadowhawk instructor is teaching. Good technichal skills taught ;-)
If you are more into the tom brown style of tracking then there are a few students of his over here like Thomas (his second name escapes me).... who has taught a few instructors of other schools. I believe Dave from www.wildernessliving.co.uk trained with Thomas.....

Ed

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Beer Monster said:

www.shadowhawk.co.uk , Rhoda (a member here) runs courses for shadohawk (she might be the founder I'm not sure but I know she's a part of it) From what I can tell she is a very experienced and learned tracker and alot of information people have required about tracking on BCUK she has provided it.
www.bearclawbushcraft.co.uk are also running 3 tracking courses early next year that is being run by Rhoda and Max Maxwell and the bearclaw team.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Darn. Ed you beat me to it. I suppose thats what you get when you spend 10 minutes writing a post :roll:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
;-)
Ian Maxwell and Rhoda can really open your eyes to the things going on around you. Most of the time we were taught by playing games.... max setting up trip wires and alarms to test our awareness ans see if we noticed them.... the peg game :yelrotflm .... sneakily placeing pegs on your fellow students all weekend and seeing how long it took them to notice.... alot of classwork aswell.... lots of therory very well explained.

Ed

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Did you have to bring up the peg game again Ed!!! :rolmao:

Paganwolf

Jul 26, 2004
Essex, Uk
www.WoodlifeTrails.com
Hi Try Tactical Tracking Operations by David Scott-Donelan, its a bit Military, but its a good book you wont regret buying.(more man tracking than animal but most techniques apply) well i liked it any way! :wink:

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away with the fairies lately!!! Tactical tracking ... by D.S Donelan is a very good book (those who know him see if you can spot the photo of a very young Max!!). Tom Brown has also published a lot of excellent books on tracking from beginning to more advanced stuff. I find his books great for beginners, very clearly written. It is worth bearing in mind that Tom Brown has a very distinct style of tracking which differs to David Scott Donelan's and ours at Shadowhawk. The basic principles are similar though and its good to get a rounded view of these things.

There are many other books published about tracking, most of which are focused on US animals rather than British. I can't really think of a particular book that stands out, other than the Bang and Dahlstrom one you already have. Collins field guide to British Mammals can be useful although the illustrations aren't brilliant.

Other than that, Max tells me he has done some tracking log books which are full of information about tracking with space to write your own observations etc. I haven't seen them yet but hopefully will be able to supply them to everyone on our courses and through the website. Hopefully we'll have some at the wilderness gathering, just come and ask!

Hope this helps.

Ed the name you're after is Thomas Schorr-Kon! I haven't met him personnally but Max says he's a really nice guy and a good tracker.

Rhoda

Nomad
May 2, 2004
Cornwall
www.worldwild.co.uk
Aaahh the peg game!!!! :rolmao: :nana:
When we left the site after that course I found a peg attached to a feather in my pocket and Max found one melted to his exhaust pipe when he got home :shock: Come on own up, who was it? :rolmao:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Rhoda said:
Aaahh the peg game!!!! :rolmao: :nana:
When we left the site after that course I found a peg attached to a feather in my pocket and Max found one melted to his exhaust pipe when he got home :shock: Come on own up, who was it? :rolmao:
:rolmao: :rolmao: :rolmao: :naughty:

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Ed said:
;-)
Ian Maxwell and Rhoda can really open your eyes to the things going on around you. Most of the time we were taught by playing games.... max setting up trip wires and alarms to test our awareness ans see if we noticed them.... the peg game :yelrotflm .... sneakily placeing pegs on your fellow students all weekend and seeing how long it took them to notice.... alot of classwork aswell.... lots of therory very well explained.

Ed
I absolutely second what Ed says ... the Shadowhawk.co.uk team are an amazing teaching/tutoring team and their courses are the few that I thorougly recommend. I was amazed at how I was literally learning all the time - and usually more than one thing at a time. However, this was all done while at the same time keeping the atmosphere relaxed!

Well done Max and Rhoda! :biggthump :You_Rock_

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Rhoda said:
Sorry for the late reply, I've been away with the fairies lately!!! Tactical tracking ... by D.S Donelan is a very good book

Thanks! Didn't know about that!

(those who know him see if you can spot the photo of a very young Max!!).

:rolmao:

Other than that, Max tells me he has done some tracking log books which are full of information about tracking with space to write your own observations etc. I haven't seen them yet but hopefully will be able to supply them to everyone on our courses and through the website. Hopefully we'll have some at the wilderness gathering, just come and ask!

Let me know about those - sound interesting and useful!

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
I'm really looking forward to going on the Shadowhawk Foundation course in a few weeks! :eek:):

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Just saw this ... very funny! :eek:): :eek:): :eek:):

(Unfortunately I won't be able to go on my course since the car accident. I'm really gutted... :cry:)

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I did the tracking course with Woodlore (Ray, Juha) and absolutly loved it.

I would think about doing it again as I didnt get as much out of it as i could have (was going through some family problems at home that distracted my mind). Really really enjoyed the course, was very full on, learnt a great great deal. Amazing

Richard

Sep 30, 2003
Kent
www.trail-sense.co.uk
Beer Monster said:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a book that could get me started on tracking? ...QUOTE]

I am primarily interested in animal tracks and sign and so one of my favourite books is by Paul Rezendes 'Tracking and the Art of Seeing'. Beautifully presented, fantastic photographs (he's a wildlife photographer) and especially good on the different gait patterns. The down-side is that it is focussed on N. American wildlife, but many species or very similar species exist here in the UK. I find it particularly useful for my work with Otters and N. American Mink.

As for following human sign, I think that Albert 'Ab' Taylor's 'Fundamentals of Mantracking' is very good, and he is a bit of a 'guru' in the States. He clearly and explains the 'Step-by-Step' method developed by the US Border Patrol and employed by Search & Rescue teams in the US. (I also like his gruff, cynical sense of humour!). This book is hard to find though. His method differs, I believe, from more 'tactical' methods used to close-down the distance faster, but seems to be a good learning method

Good luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE