Power supply for light on work bench

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Being something of a Luddite could some one please advise me on a wee project I have.

at the weekend I picked up a proper UK made Anglepoise lamp in a charity shop for a fiver. Great condition and with the perfect small head with a 20 watt halogen bulb you can manoeuvre relatively close to any fiddly work job. Unfortunately being the said Luddite I didn't notice the sticker saying 12 volt low voltage supply, which given the size and placing of the said sticker surprised even me when it was pointed out to me by the eleven year old. Anyhoo I now need some ( cheap ) device that steps down UK mains to 12 volts to run it off. Is there such a thing and what should I be asking for and what should I be paying so I don't get ripped off?

The firm doesn't seam to make this model anymore, and looking at the prices I couldn't afford a new one even if they did. They have stopped listing low voltage jobs but thankfully it takes a standard M76 bulb and nothing out of production.

i already have a 240v job that takes a normal bulb I use with a artists daylight bulb for when I need to see the proper colour of things, a great bit of kit I rescued from the skip when we were clearing out the office before it closed.

Atb

tom

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I used to use a 12V power pack when I was into CB radios as a kid, just a small box which converted 240 into 12v, about 8x6x4" with + & - terminals on the front.

No idea what they're called though sorry

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Maybe look at converting it to LED much cheaper to run but maybe more expensive granted.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks folks! Thus armed I will ask herself to sort me one as the eldest has come down with a evil cough so I won't be going anywhere until he's back at school. Saying that he's sounding much better than this morning.

Atb

tom

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Check how many amps it needs. Many laptops run at 12v and if it can supply the current could be modded to work. If not maplins it the place but I expect you will be paying much more for the transformer than the lamp then.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
A standard PC power supply unit?

Will require a bit of modding to make into a desktop power supply.

Last edited:

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Most of these lamps came with a built-in transformer, but if yours didn't then you can probably pick one up at a charity shop for a couple of quid. I know the shops around here have them all the time.

You can run the lamp from AC, no need to get into DC power supply territory.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
May be you could just use a Coleman unit

$T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjKjWBSJ22wo!1!~~60_1.JPG

240 plug in to 12v car socket. Just need to put a 12v plug on your lamp.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
A standard PC power supply unit?

Will require a bit of modding to make into a desktop power supply.

Yep good one. You can find the! Everywhere and they definitely have the beans as I have one I use to teat hid lights. You need to connect 2 pins together on the motherboard socket to get it to work. Can't remember which ones but there are plenty of guides on Google. Then just use any of the molex connector for 12 or 5 v usually

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The jobs a good un, a little electrical bits shop in Accringto provided me with a transformer for LV lights for a few quid which only took a couple of minutes to wire in and the lamp works great!

cheers!

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE