Power cut, get in the way of my Sunday roast?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
No sireee!

The stuffed chicken had been in the oven ten mins so fired up the Cobb and whacked it on there for 2 and a bit hours. Roasties and parsnips in foil in the moat. Meths burner doing the carrots and steaming the broccoli at the same time. Carrot water used for gravy. Didn't want to open the freezer so we skipped on the peas.

Dinner by candlelight. Kids in bed. 4 hours later the powers back on.

Feelin' a little smug.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
nice, does it make you think of doing or living that way more in the future? Also whats a cobb?

I shouldn't say anything about the electric atmosphere,or a conspiracy there in. No, no I won't say that. That would be naughty.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
It's brilliant mate. The charcoal was going for 4 hrs (and may still be) it uses very little fuel. Treat it like an oven though. You can't quickly grill up some burnt sausages.

I've done bread, pizza, whole roast chicken, curries, boiled rice, pies, baked potatoes, fry ups.... All sorts on it.

It's excellent for camping as it extends what you can make and you can pick it up and move it about. Safer with small kids around.

It's not small though. About the size of a steel rim.

The instruction recommend using cobbs own briquettes or bbq briquettes but I find I get better performance with lump wood charcoal.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Could you grill if you left the lid off so it didn't get so hot.
This might sound wrong but could you get a Dutch oven in it.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Could you grill if you left the lid off so it didn't get so hot.
This might sound wrong but could you get a Dutch oven in it.

You can grill on it, it's just slower as it is a lower temperature (less direct heat).

You can put a pan on the trivet (I do boiled rice this way with the Cobb dome on) but not sure why you'd want to put a Dutch oven on it? It's an oven in its own right, there's no need to.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Ah ha. Just read that there is a bowl inside. Was thinking of stews and the like. Now I have read it makes sense.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
I love our Cobb, great to be sat on a campsite and be cooking a roast dinner followed by bread and butter pudding!! Always seems to draw a crowd... Especially when we have about ten of them going all with different curries on them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Ah ha. Just read that there is a bowl inside. Was thinking of stews and the like. Now I have read it makes sense.

You're more likely to put a pan on the trivet than use the moat for stews as you'd have a right job getting liquid meals out without tipping coals in your food. The moat is to put liquids in to steam food with, and/or to cook foil parcels of veg in. But it is part of the "fire pit" which the ashes from the trivet drop into.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
nice, does it make you think of doing or living that way more in the future? Also whats a cobb?

I shouldn't say anything about the electric atmosphere,or a conspiracy there in. No, no I won't say that. That would be naughty.

I know its Sunday but keep off the cooking sherry early in the evening chap.

I fancy a Cobb setup, just can't justify it to the Welsh Love Goddess just now, will wait until we get back off holiday in a few weeks :cool:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No sireee!

The stuffed chicken had been in the oven ten mins so fired up the Cobb and whacked it on there for 2 and a bit hours. Roasties and parsnips in foil in the moat. Meths burner doing the carrots and steaming the broccoli at the same time. Carrot water used for gravy. Didn't want to open the freezer so we skipped on the peas.

Dinner by candlelight. Kids in bed. 4 hours later the powers back on.

Feelin' a little smug.

That's good going indeed - smugness is permitted :)

Not many people can whomp up a roast dinner in a power cut - KUdos

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I think living without on grid power is something we should all get used to in the not to distant future, I have had a go and its hard graft but worth it to break the bonds of enslavement.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Washing clothes is a right pain though and lacking electric light is really annoying at this time of year. I don't disagree that we will need to get used to it - most things are doable.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
great experiences, especially for the kids, I enjoy it when the power goes out, get the log fire going, bring some kit in, think about putting the genny on but never do :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE