Power cut, get in the way of my Sunday roast?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Probably deserves it's own thread - the "without power" challenge.

How long can you live (at home) for without power.

Is there a prize ? :D

Washing would be a pain (but it would motivate me to get on with restoring the large mangle) and there would be a two to three day massive workload whilst I canned the contents of the freezers.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As valuable as that is.......:)

I have often thought it would make a good TV series though - off grid for a year (properly offgrid, not just buying in a solar set up)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
As valuable as that is.......:)

I have often thought it would make a good TV series though - off grid for a year (properly offgrid, not just buying in a solar set up)

Definitely - you'd need to be setup for it though. We don't have a chimney so we couldn't do it without some major changes to the home. Also you've got to factor in how you work - it'd be easier if you weren't working 9-5 in an office and had a pile of cash as a safety net.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Oh yeah - I was thinking more "castaway".

Offgrid is different than "powercut". Offgrid to me means no mains water, sewage, bought in goods etc.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Oh yeah - I was thinking more "castaway".

Offgrid is different than "powercut". Offgrid to me means no mains water, sewage, bought in goods etc.

Didn't they do that in one of those American Frontier documentaries? 3 Families living the lives of people in the old west?

Anyhow - I think it'd be interesting TV if you plunge someone in a modern house into those conditions....

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
He he, indeed :D

We often watch it, the kids love it and i read the book sot them as well, a hard life that's for sure but one filled with fulfilment

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The books are good for sure - much grittier and more down to earth than the TV series I thought when reading them to my lass. As you say a tough life, but I often think we have lost something in a world where there are few frontiers left where a family can build a life for themselves in that way.

I strongly recommend "Alaska - the last frontier" to you and your kids if you haven't tried it (available on the internet if you have good broadband). A modern day family living a pioneer life and not at all "fake" or over dramatised

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/alaska-the-last-frontier

Red

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
The one with Otz in it? two brothers and they're kids (living with wives etc) if that's the one, it's cool, very easy to sit back and say why don't you do this or that but I think in reality they do amazingly well. I think they made 3 series but i've only watched one...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - about as close as you can get to a frontier life these days I expect - wish I had tried it when I was younger!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE