Powdered / Dried Milk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Hello all,

Two quick questions (of real importance!) :

1) Which brand of powdered / dried milk do you find is best?

2) Do you have any special tips for preparing it?

Thanks,

G.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
It's not a hijack. I think they simply mean to use it as a substitute for liquid milk - some bannock recipes use milk in them. I can't imagine dried veg. fat actually replacing wheat flour.
:)

hilltop

Banned
May 14, 2006
edge of the peak district
bikething said:
Excuse me being thick but, do you use it instead of flour?

Don't mean to hijack the thread, just curious

cheers
Steve
yes, just mix with a little water to make a dough, ( i always add a little suger becouse it is quite sweet anyway) cook it in a tin with a lid on hot stones or over embers, its great, its somthing i learned on a course with eddie magee, who was the outdoors god before another guy came along,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
I've found most brands of powdered milk quite passable.

I always put the coffee in first (i don't drink tea so it might be different for that) then my sugar and powdered milk. Once the water is boiling pour a small amount into the bottom of the cup and mix well to beat all the lumps out (sometimes depending on how much i've put in it goes like a paste) then top up with the rest of the water as required.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
To avoid the lumps from powdered milks I've been trying out the new carnation condensed milk in the new squeeze bottle fitted with a valve, not as cheap but a little easier to use and none spill due to the valve. One possible downside being that it is sweetened so maybe not to everyones taste or suitable for savoury recipes.
Dave.

GNJC

Forager
Jul 10, 2005
Carms / Sir Gar
Thanks for the comments; I had already reached the conclusion that most dried milk in the U.K. is the same regarding quality, although in Africa a brand called Nido is the best by a long way; but I wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed out on a superb brand up here!

Regarding mixing, I think it is a case of the James Bond syndrome, shaken or stirred? I use a Nalgene bottle, I start by stirring to make a thin paste then I add more water and, after closing the top tightly (a lesson about loose tops leading to milk-flavoured shirts was learnt long ago), shake like Billy-be-damned. This has always had the desired effect.

Any recipes using milk-powder will be gratefully received - the bread-mix mentioned above sounds... unusual.

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
GNJC said:
T I had already reached the conclusion that most dried milk in the U.K. is the same regarding quality, although in Africa a brand called Nido is the best by a long way; but I wanted to be sure that I hadn't missed out on a superb brand up here!

In Europe I havent come accross powdered milk as good as that available in Africa (I used to buy milk produced by Nestle)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
hilltop said:
yes, just mix with a little water to make a dough, ( i always add a little suger becouse it is quite sweet anyway) cook it in a tin with a lid on hot stones or over embers, its great, its somthing i learned on a course with eddie magee, who was the outdoors god before another guy came along,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol

I must use that recipe when my mother-in-law comes to visit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE