Poundland losing their marbles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
Just a quick heads up for anyone looking for cheap catty 'practice ammo' I have just got a couple of bags (150 in a bag) of glass marbles 14mm from Poundland. (remember they are glass though so use sensibly).

DB

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought them to use as weights for a warp weighted loom :)

The glass smashing can be a problem as catty ammo though…..mint imperials or better yet aniseed balls work very well however :D Confuses the hell out of dogs out for a walk :D

M

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I recall using them in my Milbro catapult as a child. Loved the way they left a powder-white mark on the rusting railings when not connecting with the squirrel running along the top!

Happy days

K

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I bought them to use as weights for a warp weighted loom :)

The glass smashing can be a problem as catty ammo though…..mint imperials or better yet aniseed balls work very well however :D Confuses the hell out of dogs out for a walk :D

M

I use marbles a lot for practice.
They tend not to shatter even hitting the block wall backstop or steel bars of my canoe rack... they do ricochet - my wife finds them all over the garden!
For safety my backstop is at an angle to the shooting line and the ricochets are harmless :)

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
I too have used them for many years, initially just for practice or for 'vermin' and I have never had one actually shatter either, they do occasionally break in half or even into several pieces but I have never seen or experienced the 'horrors' I have seen written where people have supposedly had them splinter into hundreds of pieces on impact with anything ranging from a brick wall to a Rabbit. As mentioned by John though they do seem to ricochet more than Steel and certainly more than lead and another thing to remember is the bouncing bomb was conceived after watching how well they 'bounced' on water, be aware they can travel a massive distance across a pond or lake.

DB

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I've never had one shatter, chipped yes but not shatter. They're ok for knocking magpies over too! They do riccochet though. It's amazing how high you can get a bouncy ball to bounce using thera bands!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I walk around the garden in my bare feet….flint knapping and marbles as ammo in catty's is a no-no. They don't end up as masses of splinters, just they kind of shell off, like flint really. The edges are still damned sharp. Little curved bits of glass with two sharp edges all ready for unwary feet :sigh: I don't fancy them anywhere children play either for the same reason, or dog's or cat's paws come to think on it.

Each to their own, I'll stick to aniseed balls and mint imperials :D

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE