Potentially worrying development

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. I wish they were here. I have one, a 12 guage SBS Stevens I bought over 33 years ago in Las Vegas. I have 4 other shotguns (including the 20 & 410 I mentioned earlier) but the 12 SBS is mostly my go-to gun for hunting any shotgun game other than deer. For that (when using a shotgun) I go to a Remington Model 870 with a 22 inch barrel, rifle sights, and the screw-in rfled choke with sabots or alternatively a modified choke with 00 Buckshot. But to be honest, that's not often that I use a shotgun for that. I actually bought that one for a double use duty/sporting gun.

I was wanting a 16 at the time I bought the Stevens SBS but the order kept getting cancelled due to lack of availability. I now have mixed feelings about that. 16 guage shells are rare indeed here as almost nobody shoots them; as said earlier, a heavy load 20 overlaps with a light load 12 so the 16's something of another era really. But there was a short lived resurgence of interest about 4 years ago or so and I do would like one none-the-less.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Old quirky shotguns are a joy to have - thankfully oddball cartridges are still common here - 16 bore and 28 bore are both readily available (I quite fancy a 28bore). A buddy of mine shoots a Damascus barrelled hammer action 12 bore that shoots black powder cartridges - lovely old gun and still does a number on wood pigeons and ducks! You can still buy the black powder cartridges at our local gunsmiths too!

I have a hankering for his 410 shotgun too (pictured below)

Walking Stick Gun by British Red, on Flickr

(sorry for the Hijack Spandit - any advice when the time comes for your ticket, send me a note)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My apologies also Spandit. Although I suspect you might have been hoping for a discucion of shotguns to give you ideas :)

With that in mind, does anybody on here have any experience with CZ shotguns? I have a CZ handgun that's exceptionally well made and well mannered with all ammo I've fed it, but I'd like to know more about their shotguns; and I suspect Spandit might be interested as well.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Short version Spandit - a shotgun needs to fit you properly. Go to a quality gunsmith and get them to work out what length of stock (Length of Pull) fits you, also get them to check your dominant eye. Get a good working gun to start with - a couple or three hundred for a solid second hand gun. Most prefer Over and Under, some like "side by side" more for the traditional feel (but competition results bear out O/U is easier to shoot). A good semi is fine - but are frowned on in smart shoots (and harder to check for safety). A 12 bore is fine for anyone over 7 stone and five foot tall if they hold it properly, but a 20 bore is a good alternative. .410s are close range tools but fantastic in their place - get both. Find a good clay shoot, get some coaching on stance, swing, mount, lead and all that. If you were closer, I would take you to our club and fire up the skeet traps. Either way, shoot a few different types of guns in different calibres and settle on what YOU like.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Might add that one advantage of a semi is reduced recoil. It's because some of said recoil is used to cycle the action in older ones, while more modern ones bleed of some of the gasses to accomplish the same thing (the more modern approach reduces recoil a bit more than the older approach)

But The extra weight of the doubles somewhat absorbs recoil a bit too and as BR said, a double will likely be more acceptable in UK culture.

Echoing BR's advice, shoot as many different ones as you can and choose what YOU like.

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
My advice on buying a first gun is don't worry about having to spend a lot of money when starting out, it's just a couple of tubes & a very rudimentary trigger mech. they're nothing like a finely tuned rifle.

As long as it is sound, fit's me & I can hit things with it then it's good enough for me :)

Plenty of solid SBS, 12g, non ejectors get sold circa £50 - £100 as "tractor/fourby guns".

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The snigger was nothing to do with guns santa - UK double entendre ;) I'll explain by PM if you want!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My advice on buying a first gun is don't worry about having to spend a lot of money when starting out, it's just a couple of tubes & a very rudimentary trigger mech. they're nothing like a finely tuned rifle.

As long as it is sound, fit's me & I can hit things with it then it's good enough for me :)

Plenty of solid SBS, 12g, non ejectors get sold circa £50 - £100 as "tractor/fourby guns".

Good advice - a "double trigger" unit is cheaper than a single selectable trigger too. Fixed choke is generally cheaper than multi.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
Thought I'd weigh in with my experience here, my dad has rheumatoid arthritis and due to this started using a 20b for the lower recoil. Despite having a couple of 12 bores I gave them a try and was more than impressed, so much so that I sold my 12's and got a 20. They are lovely light guns which will do almost anything a 12 will and having had a fair few days decoying pigeons and firing a good number of cartridges have never suffered from the recoil.
Colin

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
My apologies also Spandit. Although I suspect you might have been hoping for a discucion of shotguns to give you ideas :)

With that in mind, does anybody on here have any experience with CZ shotguns? I have a CZ handgun that's exceptionally well made and well mannered with all ammo I've fed it, but I'd like to know more about their shotguns; and I suspect Spandit might be interested as well.

As a matter of fact I do.
I have a CS-USA Canvasback as a workhorse gun.
Since a lot of goose hunting generally means getting dirty I wasn't to keen on abusing my Krieghoff K32.

What started as a cheap gun for the dirty places ended up being my standard gun with the Krieghoff only getting out the shoot clays.

The canvasback is cheap, simple (no ejectors), steel-proof, changeable chockes and rather elegant in shape.
I've modified the stock so its slightly longer and has a bit of a different angle on the butt.
Perfect gun especially at the price.
It has seen around 2500 shots in the last 7 months or so and no problems what so ever.

It will probably be worn out in half the time as a browning, beretta, merkel etc.
But a €500 its an absolute bargain.

But what is this thing about a cal12 having recoil?
Sure shoot very high loads (50gram 89mm super-magnums etc)

Some here make it sound like it kicks as a .30-06spr or 300WM :p

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Comfort is weird - I shoot 32 and 36g loads as standard in my Benelli - up to 50g and one ounce slug. No feeling of discomfort. It is a heavy gun - particularly with a full payload of 10 or more cartridges, but not a problem to shoot hot loads. My wife hates it though - she thinks its because of the weight, not the recoil. Shooting the same loads through her Winchester (which you would think would hurt more in a lighter gun), she finds more comfortable. Its why I always say people need to try a lot of styles and weights of gun - one size does not fit all. Some people dislike recoil (or as in those with arthritis etc. cannot live with it), others dislike weight, or find a particular amount of comb etc. makes a difference.

I know what Marijn means about a simple, reliable gun being almost preferable to a fancier model. I feel the same about shotguns - my basic side by side, fixed choke, double trigger does it for me.

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
BR, its a bit OT but what do you use a gun with that size magazine for?

Appart from the restriction on mag with a capacity over 2 (+1 chambered) I can't imagine a hunting situation where you'd need 10+ shots without reload time.
Doesn't it just make the gun more bulky and heavy?

Another reason for not using the Krieghoff much is the fact that its bottom barrel has porting.
Although nice for a follow-up shot, its nasty on your ears.
And I really dislike walking around with ear-muffs all day :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BR, its a bit OT but what do you use a gun with that size magazine for?

Appart from the restriction on mag with a capacity over 2 (+1 chambered) I can't imagine a hunting situation where you'd need 10+ shots without reload time.
Doesn't it just make the gun more bulky and heavy?

Another reason for not using the Krieghoff much is the fact that its bottom barrel has porting.
Although nice for a follow-up shot, its nasty on your ears.
And I really dislike walking around with ear-muffs all day :rolleyes:

Its used for range work in a sport called "practical shotgun" Marijn.

mereside

Nomad
Aug 21, 2010
hornsea
as somebody already said plenty of cheaper shotguns out there I am still using an old baikal side by side not a very pretty thing but have grown to love it over the years its bluing has worn off but barrels are spotless inside I keep meaning to buy another shotgun but cant justify spending a load of money when it does what i need . It gave me a smile last time i went to the clay ground i met up with some folk for a day out they all laughed at the heavy tank like shotgun but i was the one smiling at the end:D. I think it cost me £50 heres a pic of a quick stroll with the hound.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE