potassium

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
They stock small jars in my local chemists. You can also buy larger bags at relatively low cost off eBay, where it is sold for use in fishponds.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
My local chemist said that he could order some for me in pill form, but that powder/crystal versions were almost impossible to source ... for him. He advised trying aquaria suppliers....

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Yup, it's nitrate, not permanganate.

Pagan, the government isn't interested in preventing bombs "when the economy collapses", it's interested in current real live terrorists making bombs. Like, you know, the ones that went off on July 7th. But lets not start talking politics.

Oct 24, 2011
I worked in a pharmacy for just over a year last year and everything I have said is what I was told to me by the chemist and she got it from head office.thay had small jars of potassium behind the couter that thay had taken off the shelfs and the chemist would not sell them to me and I worked for them. As she had been told by head office. What I have told you. (Not to be sold to the general public.) I delivered Presciption meds to peoples homes for them so I had to have a very indepth cheque made of my background and thay still would not let me buy some. Even after I told them it was for bushcraft use only. Thay got very very funny about it and I was told to drop the subject. Very soon after I got sacked on a small technicality. I just assumed it was so.As I got the Info from the horses mouth I must admit did not cheque if it was so in the hole of the country but as I said I got it from the Horses mouth so I did not think I had to look into it indepth. I am Sorry if I upset anyone with my statment and I apologise unreservedly.
That's where mine is coming from

@PaganBushcraft - do you ever check your sources?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I worked in a pharmacy for just over a year last year and everything I have said is what I was told to me by the chemist thay had small jars of potassium behind the couter that thay had taken off the shelfs and the chemist would not sell them to me and I worked for them. As thay had been told by head office. That I have told you. Not to be sold to the general public. I delivered Presciption meds to peoples homes for them so I had to have a very indepth cheque made in to my background and thay still would not let me buy some. Even after I told them it was for bushcraft use only. Thay got very funny about it and I was told to drop the subject.

It sounds as if it was/is more a matter of the company not wanting to risk the liability rather than a matter of law.

Oct 24, 2011
I was told this by the chemist I worked for last year about the eco collaps If you look back over the last few years the Goverment has gone out of it's way to disarm the public tightening gun ownership then the new kife laws knife amnesty's ( hand in knves at your police stations)then removing chemicals from the public domane all the news about the euro and the US dollar and the econmic collapse the Goverment has known it was comming for a very long time now. How do's not like a good conspiracy theory, The JFK conspiracy has been goimg for years now and it will still keep go long in to the future.

I must agree with you about politics though. If politions can not agree on anything how can we the people agree on politics.

The potassium thing I thought that potassium nitrate ( Fertilizer )was white and potassium permanganate. was purple/blue and it was the purple one that was used in bushcraft as people buy potassium nitrate from gardencenters not chemists. I could be wrong though
Yup, it's nitrate, not permanganate.

Pagan, the government isn't interested in preventing bombs "when the economy collapses", it's interested in current real live terrorists making bombs. Like, you know, the ones that went off on July 7th. But lets not start talking politics.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Fertiliser thing, Ammonium nitrate (NH4)(NO3) (made from ammonia and nitric acid)
Purple thing, potassium permanganate (KMnO4)
Gun powder thing, potassium nitrate (saltpetre) KNO3
Trying to keep the topic on topic.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I worked in a pharmacy for just over a year last year and everything I have said is what I was told to me by the chemist and she got it from head office

Fair enough, all I can say is that this arrived in the post this morning:
ff5ea8f3.jpg

I immediately made a little newspaper boat and poured a bit in. I then put a small amount of glycerine onto it and started the video rolling... nothing happened so I stopped the video. It just sat there.

However, a few seconds later, it started fizzing and then burst into violent flame!:

This was with about half a teaspoon of potassium permanganate and a quarter capful of glycerine. I had to mix them because the glycerine is quite thick and just sits there in a bead. Very impressive (and fun!)

Oct 24, 2011
Thank you for sorting that out as I was starting to get very mixed up with what was what It is a long time since I did chemisty at school I was mixing up saltpetre white powder with Ammonium nitrate white powder. As you know I had a hard time getting some potassium permananate I have a costumer that works in a chemical plant and he got me a 2kl jar of it for me a bit of an overkill As I only wanted a small 500g jar. but it seamed imperlight to refuse So I am glade I got the right thing.I use it by mixing a small amount with my natural tinder and I rube it in to my amado to help the spark catch and as you know if you put some car glucos base antifreeze on it it lights.It is also very good if you use it for effect around the campfire will storytelling by putting a very small amount in a cigarette paper and discreetly tose it in to the flames at a dramatic part of the story a small woosh of flame pops up in the middle of the fire adding a good effect to ghost storys. Thank you once again.
Fertiliser thing, Ammonium nitrate (NH4)(NO3) (made from ammonia and nitric acid)
Purple thing, potassium permanganate (KMnO4)
Gun powder thing, potassium nitrate (saltpetre) KNO3
Trying to keep the topic on topic.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE