pot hanger

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Spam made this, not me but I liked it so much he said I could post some pictures. I think he said he first saw a picture of one in a Ray Mears book ...
IMG_0597.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0599.jpg

When you first see it you can't imagine how it stays together, but it's like one of those kids wooden puzzles. The one little wedge holds it all together quite firmly and it then easily comes apart if you want to pack it down - very cool :cool:
Nicola

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When you first see it you can't imagine how it stays together, but it's like one of those kids wooden puzzles. The one little wedge holds it all together quite firmly and it then easily comes apart if you want to pack it down - very cool :cool:
Nicola

the Little wooden wedge is traditionally called a cotter.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Now that's neat :D

And we call that pin thing a cotter pin too, even when it's made of metal and holds a disc onto a spindle.

cheers,
Toddy

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
That's a great word and not one I've heard before. Is it local dialect to you or in what context do you know it from? The only references I can find refer to metal wedges holding bicycle peddles together which must be a more modern application of the word!
Nicola
It is a engineering term,
Cotter

1. A piece of wood or metal, commonly wedge-shaped, used for fastening together parts of a machine or structure. It is driven into an opening through one or all of the parts.
Webster’s English dictionary 1913

cotter in google books

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I did oneof those myself a while ago. I left the joining leg pieces somewhat longer than the one shown, over time the wood has warped to such a degree that the hanger no longer stays together. So if you try, keep 'em short like the one shown.

Dave

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
A tricky piece of carving to do and a neat job to.

I made one recently but not quite as tidy but it works.

The cotter I carved was just not big enough so the whole thing kept falling apart. Then added a smaller piece to my original cotter and it jammed in nicely to hold it all together.

I got the RM Wild Food DVD (£10 out of HMV two weeks ago) and the tutorial is in the skills section.

May make up some more for the Moot.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Wow, the pictures make it look a lot better than it is! :D Thanks for all the approving comments, they are fun to make but sometimes they just go horribly wrong! If you don't get it quite right first time, you end up taking a little bit off here and a little bit of there and before you know it you have a tooth pick! It's a good bit of kit though, we used it this weekend for moving billies about on the range and lifting the lid off of Bernies' cast iron Dutch Oven. It did the job well, and it packs down nice and small to fit in a billy can. Have a go at making one, it's a bit of hard work stopping yourself from cutting just a little bit more to make it fit right! I'm looking forward to Robs' and Nicolas' versions, I'm sure they'll put mine to shame!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE