Pot boiling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
If you want to try to boil water using heated stones and are unsure about which stones to use then B&Q may hold the answer. A recent acquisition of both Japanese and Scottish Black decorative stoves I have found work well. I heated them up to red heat and plunged into cold water. The only ones to break were already faulted as could be seen as cold dark lines against the glowing red. I assume these rocks are Basalt but am open to other suggestions.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
D'you know I was just looking at stones in a massage gift set and wondering if they'd do for pot boilers?
The set was of hot stones that were to be heated in an oven and then used for massage and deep heat therapy.
Might just go and have another look :D

Cheers,
Toddy

KIMBOKO

Nomad
Nov 26, 2003
Suffolk
Do I detect a hint of sarcasm Wayland!
Where I live there are very few stones in the soil, it's either sand or clay. There are a few flints and there is a mixture of stones on the beaches usually fairly small ones. But generally they are surface stones and either they break on heating or on cooling. They may well be damaged by frost and moisture before I find them. I was looking to demonstrate the method to some Scouts last year but couldn't find a suitable reasonable safe stone to use. Remembering Storms review of Pot boiling stones during a trip to B&Q (whilst waiting for LIdls to open) were enough for me to experiment with the different stones available.
For those of us who want to have a go but havn't got rocks available then this maybe the solution.
Toddy.
Looking at the various electric and gas stoves in B&Q some of them use stones and glass beads in the hearth. I was initially thinking of using these but they are heated up and cool down fairly slowly and not subject to great thermal shock. Similarly the stones heated in an oven and used for massage wouldn't come under great thermal shock and so I would think a greater range of stones could be used.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Wayland said:
Just pulling your leg a bit.

Actually they sound quite good. With all the "risk assessments" I have to do, knowing they won't go bang while they are being heated is a really good thing.

See, this is what I was thinking too. I'm putting together a Bronze age activity and I can just see the H&S Risk assessment now :eek: It'd also be excellent for the summer schools with kids if I can get it assuredly *safe*.
I had thought that the only way to be safe with them was to work with some in my own time and be utterly sure that these ones wouldn't go bang and shower the kids with bits of hot rock....but I don't usually cook with hot stones these days :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
When I used to guide I would run into this quite often. City kids would find nice round rocks in a rvier bed or beach and think, "Great rock for the fire pit." Amazing what an explosion you can get out of a rock. I generally just go to high ground and pick up whatever looks solid. Have had very little problem.

We don't often use hot rocks to boil water, but we use them on the trail for sweat lodge.

Best tools to pick hot rocks out of the fire - two shed deer antlers.

PG

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Is there a definitive, "Use only....metamorphioc/sedimentary...." guide to pot boiler stones? Any really straightforward rules that can actually be relied upon?
I've had very few go bang over the years but they're still scary when they do. I'm teaching and demonstrating again this year, and whatever advice I give will be passed around. I'd *really* like to get it right and safe.

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE