Posting this from my hammock

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Well unbeknown to me, my supposed better half arranged a kids overnighter tonight. Far to many girls talking about horses for my liking. Anyway. Me and the little one decided to escape to the woods. She's now fast asleep and I'm checking that you lot are behaving on my phone. Very peaceful tonight as it's just finished raining. The fire is jus dying and I'm catching an early one. Will post pics tomorrow when back in reality. Night folks.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Any old excuse eh? I bet you dropped the idea into your wifes head and she thinks it was hers! Ya sneaky devil... :D

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Any old excuse eh? I bet you dropped the idea into your wifes head and she thinks it was hers! Ya sneaky devil... :D

Funny you should say that. The youngest was being a pain and I was asked if I could do something with her as she was annoying the older girls. She's adept at annoyance and we had it all planned out.

Well, we had a great time. Weather was wet, but not windy. Set up the hammock at the bottom of the badgers set. Before we left we stole a load of party food so we had plenty of BBQ chicken wings and all sorts of luxuries.

DSC07449.jpg

DSC07461.jpg

The little one dropped off quite quickly so I just sat there with a few real ales and watched the badgers messing about. I though I'd wake her when I got in, but she was dead to the world so I pushed her over and got in, surprisingly stacks of room for us both and I didn't need the smaller hammock I brought along.

In terms of wildlife, it was a great night out. Several foxes came within metres of the tent, and the badgers were snuffling around all night. In the morning I found my rucksack covered in badger hairs and it looks like one tried to climb in. We both slept really well despite the rain getting really heavy at about 0200. Only had a camera phone so couldn't take any pics of the badgers at night unfortunately.

DSC07466.jpg

We got back about ten after a short tracking session, all was quiet, they'd gone home and the place was tidy RESULT!!!

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Excellent planning JD, youngest creating a "disturbance", making your escape/getting away from the sleep over and taking party food hostages. :D

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hahahahaa!!!

I taught my two to shoot. My laddie is a good shot but my daughter is better, she's a natural.

I hate to say this, but lassies listen to instruction "okay, got that Dad, and then I do?..."

Whereas laddies tend to think "Aye,easy peasy I'll be to do this simply by dint of the fact I'm a laddie and this is a laddie thing".

They're both better shots than me now - maybe I should've listened to my own advice.

I taught my daughter to stalk and she's now about to do Photography at Art College - look out Simon King et al...

Unless she becomes a Paparazzi - oh the shame.

That's not a BHP in the pic is it?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Your two sound like great girls. Never teach them too much so they get better thugh... schoolboy error that one.

Girls are great, she has the stance down perfect and can clear the rooms in the house like a pro. It's a Beretta in the pic. She can also field strip it. Cracking shot she is, can't wait till here arms grow big enough to hold a rifle, oh what fun we'll have.

She enjoyed last night so much, that we've been granted permission to do them again if it gets us out of the way........ excellent.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Your two sound like great girls. Never teach them too much so they get better thugh... schoolboy error that one.

Girls are great, she has the stance down perfect and can clear the rooms in the house like a pro. It's a Beretta in the pic. She can also field strip it. Cracking shot she is, can't wait till here arms grow big enough to hold a rifle, oh what fun we'll have.

She enjoyed last night so much, that we've been granted permission to do them again if it gets us out of the way........ excellent.

My two do sound like great girls;

My youngest is a girl, and was born that way.

My eldest, he was a Para for a while (and on the phone you'd never be able to tell) I warned him about 3Para Mortars - which is probably why he too sounds like a great girl...

I wasn't sure if it was a 92F or a BHP in the pic to be honest.

If your youngest has raved about last night's trip there will be no need to build up Brownie points to get away from now on.

I remember when my two were younger, I had them "moving from/in cover" on the livingroom carpet, stalking the cat, their mother, visitors etc.

The wife eventually objected because they used to grab/tickle the back of her knees when she was engrossed in watching soaps on the sofa. Class!!!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
My two do sound like great girls;

My youngest is a girl, and was born that way.

My eldest, he was a Para for a while (and on the phone you'd never be able to tell) I warned him about 3Para Mortars - which is probably why he too sounds like a great girl...

Ooops, my apologies. My observational skills are obviously on the wane.

We have it sorted fo next week too. Going to be an extended overnight/herping trip.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Ooops, my apologies. My observational skills are obviously on the wane.

We have it sorted fo next week too. Going to be an extended overnight/herping trip.

Unbeleivable!!!...

You know how to milk an opportunity eh?

"It's not for me darling, she's too young to go on her own and you know what she's like if she doesn't get out into the cuds...".

I hope you both have a great time - remember to take the camera though.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Unbeleivable!!!...

You know how to milk an opportunity eh?

"It's not for me darling, she's too young to go on her own and you know what she's like if she doesn't get out into the cuds...".

I hope you both have a great time - remember to take the camera though.

Certainly will. She's taking hers too.

al21

Nomad
Aug 11, 2006
In a boat somewhere
What a great evening out for your lass. Nice bit of woodland you have to play in, rather envious I have to say.

One thing bothers me though. Please tell me it was a trick of the light and that you don't really have a gold lame tarp! :p

DSC07461.jpg

Al

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
It's the Exped Scout Combi. It's the nicest hammock set up I've tried. The split ropes make set up a doddle and the easiest by far. It does need a few tweaks, but nothing a few metres of standard paracord can't sort out, the whole thing after that is bomb proof. The tarp is very slim, but has not let me down in the harshest rain, it also has the benefit of being close and still allowing you 360 degree visibility to enjoy the surroundings.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE