Posting a GB SFA

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Has anyone got recent experience of posting a GB Small Forest Axe?
I always get interrogated these days whenever I go to the Post Office! Wondering if there are carriers who will take axes and don't charge too much. I want to put it up for sale but I don't want to lose a fortune on the postage charges. Definitely got too many sharps for current requirements!
Cheers, Simon

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Just find a box the axe will go in, rather than just wrapping it up and keeping its shape, which will enduce questions to be asked,
There is no restriction by Royal Mail in sending axes as long as they are packaged safely,
The cost will be by the weight of the item, but there are cheaper options than Royal Mail, but most may have restrictions, for instance,Hermes don't allow knives, but Royal Mail do.

Reactions: plastic-ninja

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I used to get the the third degree at our post office, until one day when asked, I replied "it's adult toys, without batteries " said it loud enough so people in the queue could hear, strangely after that i was never asked again.

If you are asked, tell them it's gardening tools and as above, box it up rather than show the shape of the axe.

Chalkflint

Tenderfoot
Mar 6, 2017
Oxford
I remember discussing this in a previous thread.
As Fadcode has already mentioned. Royal Mail/Parcelforce will carry axes but most other couriers will not and state that on their restricted list.
Myhermes restricted list states:- No sharp items (knives or axes etc)
I had problems once with Parcels2go as I wanted to send an axe by Parcelforce through them.They stated that despite Parcel force allowing axes etc Parcels2go had them on their restricted list so I could not send via them.
Chalkflint

Last edited:

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
I used to get the the third degree at our post office, until one day when asked, I replied "it's adult toys, without batteries " said it loud enough so people in the queue could hear, strangely after that i was never asked again.

If you are asked, tell them it's gardening tools and as above, box it up rather than show the shape of the axe.

FNAAAAAAAR FNAAAAAR!
May have to try that.:emoji_imp:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

For future reference Mark, RM allow batteries as long as they’re installed. So now you can say “It’s adult toys, and they’re ready to rumble”. :lmao:

Insert the word “secondhand” and you’ll never be asked a probing question again. :D

I send many axes all over. I asked Hermes, and they very clearly stated they do not want to carry them. When asked at the Post Office, I always say 'tool parts', which seems to satisfy them. It's OK so long as you don't have to claim for a lost parcel. If this does happen, it is unlikely that the Post Office will compensate you, as they will probably claim it's 'prohibited'. I use DPD mostly, and they know what we are sending. As above, I recommend packing in a discreet box, which does not reveal the shape or nature of the contents. Good luck!

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Carving tools, cooking tools, camping tools, woodworking tools ... these seem to work OK. People can't stop hearing the word 'murderer' after the word 'axe'.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
It’s gone to its new home in Ireland now.
I said carving tools when asked and that seemed to satisfy the counter clerk.
Thanks for the help.
Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE