Postal advice

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Hi , the people that sell knives and post,do you disguise them,as I noticed on a sign in post office that technically weapons not allowed.
(I know a bushcraft blade isn't a weapon)
And they have started to ask what I have been posting lately.so seem to be more cautious on parcels.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I think you've answered your own question.

If what you are posting is a bushcraft knife then it isn't a weapon.

I generally sandwich the knife between two sheets of cardboard and tape that into a square block that fits exactly into a padded envelope.

When asked I always tell the post office teller exactly what he or she needs to know, I'm posting camping/outdoors equipment.

:)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had a lot of grief from both Monmouth and Chepstow post offices and after insisting on my rights I've "lost" three knives in the past two years or so; in one case the empty packaging was delivered!

I now package them so the outline can't be felt and tell them it's a cabinet scraper. It's wrong and you shouldn't have to do it, but they'll get you if you dont tell lies.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I think you've answered your own question.

If what you are posting is a bushcraft knife then it isn't a weapon.

I generally sandwich the knife between two sheets of cardboard and tape that into a square block that fits exactly into a padded envelope.

When asked I always tell the post office teller exactly what he or she needs to know, I'm posting camping/outdoors equipment.

:)

I do virtually the same except I say it's a wood carving tool or if I'm feeling extremely pedantic I tell them it's some steel, leather and wood. I've yet to be asked exactly what the item is when I tell them that :rolleyes:

The thing the Royal Mail are worried about with stuff like that has it been securely packaged in a safe manner and won't cause any harm to their staff. So long as you remember that and package it accordingly then you'll be fine.

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I never use Royal Fail, MyHermes every time. They have never lost one of my parcels, and the tracking system works. All done on line and they will pick up from your door.

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
Thanks for quick replies,I did consider saying its a tool,but camping equipment is good,
macaroon monmouth is where I live but only time I used the high street one is when I had to tax cars it's always a big queue,I use the kings fee spa one.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I always describe a knife as a woodworking tool at the PO - I once had some bone knife handling material refused as "Animal Remains"....

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive never had any trouble but I just say tools

And my stuffs securely packaged too, thats their real worry, I think, of pranging themselves on something poorly wrapped.

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I never use Royal Fail, MyHermes every time. They have never lost one of my parcels, and the tracking system works. All done on line and they will pick up from your door.

Same here. Anything bigger than a letter and its Myhermes. I've used them for 140 parcels (mainly eBay stuff) without a problem, plus they're significantly cheaper than the PO.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE