post us you some of your leather craft photos mate!

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
One of the things I like about this bushcraft U.K is that a lot of you guys are into doing a bit of leather craft.So I thought i start a thread and ask you to post some pics of you leather projects.

Leather craft seems not the most popular craft.If you look in the book shops there is never a lot of books on the subject the one they have I find a wee bit boring.The best leather craft books are the old ones from the united states in the 70"s that show you how to make thing like hats and possible bags and mountain man stuff like that.

But I love the smell of leather and find It a very satisfying and useful craft.So come on don"t be shy post some pics of some of your work.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
heres a few bits and pieces of mine!

some pouches,

IMAG0003-9.jpg

IMAG0001-7.jpg

IMAG0006-2.jpg

and a hip quiver.

DSC00676.jpg

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Here is a pouch\sporran I made a while ago I use kangaroo skin for the bottom part and cow hide for the top flap.
Did you use a pattern for that? if so where did you find the pattern, I'm looking for one, that will fit on a belt at the hip.I've not been able to find a good looking pattern

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Ok, so this is one of my first leather projects.

P9160071s.jpg

Can't take credit for the idea but the work's all mine :)

Leather is off cuts from trimming car seats and the thread is artificial sinue from the group buy.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
knifesheath1.jpg

The last thisng I made was this sheath for a knife

case4.jpg

I'm planning to make another of these moulded leather pouches

DKW

Forager
Oct 6, 2008
Denmark
Knife sheath. The only one i have pictures of, aswell as the very first i ever made with some sort of carving to it.
KnivDamascogbocota6.jpg

Book. Also the first try and the only one i ever took pictures of.
Billede003.jpg

This was the "blueprint" (however it was a better quality than i have uploaded)
Bagsidekrniken.jpg

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
looks great. Have you got any designs/plans (now whats the word? :rant:) for the cover? :D

I did make a paper template to get the rough idea but it was only when the seam (down the back) was stitched that you really get to see where the material needs cutting.

If it helps the order I did things is as follows:
  • Sew up to the waist from the base where the two edges meet.
  • Push in the bottle and mark where the oval base fits.
  • Sew in the base.
  • Continue to sew the split.
  • Slit the top half in 2 places (each side) while stretching the leather around the bottle.
  • Sew up the 2 sides.
  • Slit the front in the centre from the waist to the neck.
  • Sew the final split to the top.
It's amaising how big you you need to make the slits as the leather stretches quite a lot when you pull it all together.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
There's some lovely leatherwork here. Here's my contribution. Well, it's actually made by my 14 year old daughter JoJo ... matching sheath and knife set (modified Frosts 106)
IMG_3202.jpg

She dyed her hair a similar colour for a while too :rolleyes:
Nicola

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
Did you use a pattern for that? if so where did you find the pattern, I'm looking for one, that will fit on a belt at the hip.I've not been able to find a good looking pattern

I got the pattern from a old book(1979)called"so you're going to wear the kilt"by J.Charles Thompson.Drop me a line tadpole mate and I send you a photo of the patten or something.
Alsbushcraftstuff010.jpg

Here is the first one I made.
IMG_0481.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE