Post Office Refusing to post PenKnife

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Just get the weight and cost from their scales, ask for stamps and post it in a pillar box yourself....problem solved.

"How much would it be to post this <Insert service)",

"It'll cost X"

"Can i have it in stamps/labels please"

"So i can post it at a later date"

never had any problems with this approach.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just get the weight and cost from their scales, ask for stamps and post it in a pillar box yourself....problem solved.

"It'll cost X"

That works fine up until the point you need it to go recorded or special delivery

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

"It'll cost X"

And you may never have a problem either. Unfortunately though, since people have been using this method to mail dust (either contaminated with anthrax or as a sham pretending to be so contaminated) it tends to set off alarms and whistles now.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I didnt mate, just a bill from Royal Mail :AR15firin

So you got a bill telling you that they have the knife, but won't deliver until extra postal is paid? Obviously I'll pay for that. How much was it? Send me your PayPal address.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
So you got a bill telling you that they have the knife, but won't deliver until extra postal is paid? Obviously I'll pay for that. How much was it? Send me your PayPal address.

Nah mate I will cover it.
Bit that stuck in my throat is it was for underpayment of 9p With a "handling charge" of £1. Wouldn't be so much of a pain in the butt if the postman had knocked I would have give him the quid but now I have to drive 20 miles round trip to pick it up.
Happened a few times.

If they had taken it in the post office as they should then you would have known exactly how much to pay rather than having to guess.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Nah mate I will cover it.
Bit that stuck in my throat is it was for underpayment of 9p With a "handling charge" of £1. Wouldn't be so much of a pain in the butt if the postman had knocked I would have give him the quid but now I have to drive 20 miles round trip to pick it up.
Happened a few times.

If they had taken it in the post office as they should then you would have known exactly how much to pay rather than having to guess.

I actually put the envelope on the scales and asked, how much. She asked me first or second, and I said second please. It was after that when she asked me what is it?
She then slid over the stamp for it, and told me to use the postbox, which I stuck to the parcel and left to find it.
I assumed she'd given me the right stamp as it had been passed across to her behind the counter and been weighed then returned to me with the stamp.
You know I even heard her husband whisper to her penknives were fine. I reckon she's just that way inclined. I only go in there when I'm passing, not often, but I have heard a couple of other people say things about how rude she is. I hope they read this tbh.
Sorry for the hassle.

Last edited:

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I actually put the envelope on the scales and asked, how much. She asked me first or second, and I said second please. It was after that when she asked me what is it?
She then slid over the stamp for it, and told me to use the postbox, which I stuck to the parcel and left to find it.
I assumed she'd given me the right stamp as it had been passed across to her behind the counter and been weighed then returned to me with the stamp.
Its a small village post office in Wilsden with a family from down sarf.
You know I even heard her husband whisper to her penknives were fine. I reckon she's just that way inclined. I only go in there when I'm passing, not often, but I have heard a couple of other people say things about how rude she is. I hope they read this tbh.
Sorry for the hassle.

Just gets better doesn't it lol
Not your fault mate and no worries. Have the bits packaged ready to go but unknown to me our PO has Wednesday afternoons off, nice for some.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I've had the exact same thing with a sheath knife. Even called RM up before to check it was all ok and what kind of packaging would be needed and the woman behind the counter again said its a weapon and wouldn't allow it. Bloomin pain really but thats the breaks really. Plenty of other services that don't question that kind of stuff and are in my view far better..

AndyD

Settler
Dec 20, 2011
North East England
Still don't have issues myself, you could always print the stuff at home and whack it in the box or do it from a library, the proof of postage would be electronically sent to you.

And you still wouldn't be covered as SD items must be handed over the counter for posting.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE