post medieval kuska?

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
i found this item while excavating around a tudor building, its meant to be hung from a belt as a personal beaker. my local PAS officer dated it to AD 1600 - 1800, is it the english version of a (small) kuksa, worn alongside his firemaking kit, dagger and purse?

i photographed this item along with some roman sherds found at another site, but its this beaker that intrigues me, any archeaologists here? :)

Steve

IMG_0860.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nice find :approve:
I don't know it in a pottery form, but I do know of something similar in metal called a tassie.
Pretty common in Scotland at one time. Often mistaken now for bar measures.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If folks could afford them, they were made of silver, and like personal canteens (knife and spoon cutlery sets back then) they were among the personal property of individuals. Pewter ones were more commonplace.
The size and shape of the one you show seemed to remind me of the tassies.
I suppose it could have been used as a measure, but inns and the like used their own measures, and poured them into folks own tassies.
No idea if the pottery ones could be carried safely on a belt; it'd be like wandering about with a teacup (with walls more like a mug) if I make myself clear.
Sorry, I just don't know.

Hopefully some of the medieval reenactors will see the thread and comment. TomBear comes to mind on this one, but Eric Methven might well know too :)

cheers,
M

p.s. Good point, Robin :)

Last edited:

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Jim Newboult of Trinity court potteries would know it I am sure. http://www.trinitycourtpotteries.co.uk/
Was your "excavation" stratified?

thanks Robin, there wasnt anything similar in their gallery, but i will email them with a picture to see if they can help. as i recall yes the ground i was reducing was 'stratified', in one of the layers there were lots of victorian finds this beaker was foung at a lower level.

Last edited:

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
As others have mentioned, Jim the Pot is the man to ask. I know your pot seems to be later, but in the 15th century images I've looked at, I haven't seen cups dangling from belts and I wouldn't dream of hanging my reproduction mug off my belt whilst bumbling round camp. Apart from generally a personal knife and a purse/pouch not much else was worn on a belt.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
thanks badger, it was a suggestion from the PAS officer that it could be belt worn. i must admit it seems a bit odd to me too! wouldnt take to much to chip or break. anyway ive sent Jim a picture and all the info i have, hopefully he can throw some light on it. :)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
me too chad, unfortunately the chap at trinity potteries was at a loss to its purpose, he suggested it could be tudor and to ask my museum to see if it was made by a local potter, next time im in Birmingham i will take it in...again. :)

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Still a nice find, the mystery continues. Keep us posted if you do find anyone that can shed some more light on it Steve.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I'm sure this isn't the answer to this particular pot, but the way the handle is seemingly 'sideways' made me think of some pottery drinking vessels I saw long ago. They were more bowl shaped rather than mugs but the handles were fitted sideways. They were aboard an Arab Dhow. A wooden trestle table had pegs about 10cm high at one end and the bowls sat on the table with the handles slotted on the pegs. A simple idea that meant they could be placed on the table and if the ship rolled the bowls stayed safely captive on the table.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE