possibly a daft question but......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
well finally im going proper camping after some convincing of mates and getting kit etc.

we decided to go to loch goilhead area to find a place to camp, so my question is what do you folks do with your cars when you go camping, is it best to park it in a small town and just walk to the woods where im camping. or is it ok(as in safe and legal) to just park in the wee parking spots on roads.

bit late in asking i know.

thanks in advance.

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
It's legal to park up in the wee laybys at the side of the road, but not necessarily safe. People do break into unatended vehicles, regardless of how remote the spot. When I go for an overnighter or a couple of nights, I try to find somewhere I can park up under lights and where there are people around. I've used supermarket car parks, B&Q car parks and pub car parks. I let the manager know that I'm going to be away for however long and ask their permission to leave the vehicle there. Usually it's OK and I have nevr ben refused, although nearly all of them point out that it's at my own risk, which is fair enough. Then, if necessary I take public transport to the nearest drop off point for my walk in to wherever I'm camping. I've had a chainsaw and generator nicked from the back of my van once before when I was just checking out some prospective woods to buy a couple of years ago. I wasn't away for more than an hour and when I got back, I found the van unlocked and had been ransacked. They took the tools, a couple of saws and my mobile phone but oddly not my camera (£700 worth of Nikon DSLR) which was in a camera bag in the back of the van. Since then I've been very careful where I park up.

Eric

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
not a silly question at all. i've always been car camping but am very interested in what people do with their cars. if i want to go somewhere interesting public transport would take ages to get there and cost a lot. getting there by car is so much quicker

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
Well Unfortunaltly the Saftey of my car was worrying me, due to a few 'suspicious' cars slowing down everytime they past my car, and also the people in the cars shouting abuse at other campers acros the loch(achray). so i decided to come home.

will hopefully go in a month or so and will probably just get a lift there and a lift home.

its sad that people cant just leave people alone. was a lovely view of the loch we had as well.

Thanks for your advice guys, much appreciated.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Personally I would report that sort of behaviour to the Police. Get the number of the car, if you can, and let them know what happened, especially if other people, and young children, were involved.:)

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Well Unfortunaltly the Saftey of my car was worrying me, due to a few 'suspicious' cars slowing down everytime they past my car, and also the people in the cars shouting abuse at other campers acros the loch(achray). so i decided to come home...

That's a very sad thing to hear, David.

Hope you have better luck next time.

All the best,
Paul.

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
Personally I would report that sort of behaviour to the Police. Get the number of the car, if you can, and let them know what happened, especially if other people, and young children, were involved.:)

i would have licked to get the registration, but where we were was lower that the actual road so i didnt want to risk them seeing me, and them trying to cause trouble.

but hopefull better luck next time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE