Possibles pouch/Emergency kit.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I have been wondering for quite a long time now about the best ,container shall we say, to put emergency kit in. There is the out and out leather pouch, the ex-military bags ( trauma pouch etc), or, how about one of those fishing/shooting vests with all those little pockets. What are the pro's and con's for the latter, as I already have one of those.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
I'm not a fan of those kit vests but here's how I see the pro's and con's:

Pro's:
Plently of room to carry all you might need.
Kit more accessable as not all buried on top of each other.
Weight spread across whole upper body.
Smaller pockets than a pouch so less likely to snagg.
Vest works as another layer of insulation (a bit....maybe....sort of).

Con's:
No big pouch to put bigger items into.
To fit over winter kit it would have to be big...then in summer it'd flap about.
If you take your jacket off then you've not got your kit (belt pouch stays on always).
Possibley more pockets to get snagged in the forest.
People often mistake you for a photojournalist ( :p )
Harder items may dig into yuo as the pockets are quite thin
Pockets make wear through faster due to being thin

So.....that's all I can think of but I'm sure there's other pro's and con's.

I bought one a few years ago....tried it on and then gave it away as I ddin't like it. I think maybe a non-cammo chest rig might be more useful.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

(I'm told they are very good for fly fishing etc and that's what they were designed for....haven't tried it myself).

wanderinstar said:
<snip>.... how about one of those fishing/shooting vests with all those little pockets. What are the pro's and con's for the latter, as I already have one of those.

I'm a big fan of these type of garments _BUT_ I'm not too keen on how some of them look, some tend to make the wearer look a little too like an over grown Action Man :)

Howerver - I've just got hold of the perfect vest made by Craghopper it's light and it dries fast, it has pockets untold and oodles of space for your kit. Not sure where it is at the moment, but I'll get some pictures up for you and the garments name. It is very light weight and looks far more utility than military (not that I personally have anything against ex-army kit). I think it cost arounf £30 from Field and Trek.

Phil.

fred gordon

Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I have one of these vests for fishing and they are great. One down side though. I'm getting absent minded and mine has so many pockets that I think I need an inventory sheet to remind me where everything is. :lmao:

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
fred gordon said:
I have one of these vests for fishing and they are great. One down side though. I'm getting absent minded and mine has so many pockets that I think I need an inventory sheet to remind me where everything is. :lmao:

i also have one! have hade it for a while now and i still only realy use the two
pockets :confused:
chris

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I've been trying to decide this for literally years now :eek:. I still come back to using a good old leather pouch, but I have adapted it to hang below the belt line to stop interference with rucksack hip belts.

I've tried the vests and they aren't too bad, but when you have an overcoat or wind/water proof on, it's not so easy to get at the pocket you want.

Pablo

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've been using a webtex trauma pouch for a while but I've just changed to a Snugpak Response pack.

ResponsePak-www.jpg

Which seems to be the muts nuts. It's quite like a Maxpedition pack but at a fraction of the price.

The waist band can be packed out of sight btw.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Variously I use a Medic Pouch, a Snugpak Response Pak, a home hade leather pouch or a waterbottle pouch - it all depends where I am going and what other kit I will have with me. My "handbag", as my service users call it, is a 45l day sack that has everything in it - and thats just to go shopping! How, why, when, where, determins with what which in turn determins in what!

pibbleb

Settler
Apr 25, 2006
Sussex, England
I have been using a bum bag type contraption for my first aid kit, but having done a first aid course with Forest Knights I've realised that this is way to small.

I'm currently eyeing up a first aid side pouch for my rucksack which can also be used as day sack. It's over £50.00 so hopefully father christmas will help me out with that one!

Pib

BOD

wanderinstar said:
I have been wondering for quite a long time now about the best ,container shall we say, to put emergency kit in. There is the out and out leather pouch, the ex-military bags ( trauma pouch etc), or, how about one of those fishing/shooting vests with all those little pockets. What are the pro's and con's for the latter, as I already have one of those.

The best container is one you can access one handed with your less often used hand when the other is bleeding furiously cos you just severed an artery.

It will make you focus on essentials.

Keep the iodine panadols and less important stuff anywhere you like. You never need a panadol or an antiseptic wipe in a hurry.

Have a field dressing, a roller bandage and a triangular one with easy to use (and tear )adhesive tape and something to use as a torniquet handy at all times. A pocket or a waist pouch is my usual choice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE