Possibles Bag? Bag Suggestions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
Maxpedition gear is very impressive, I want their Goshawk back pack which is gonna cost BIG. May I sugest doing what I am. Saving for what I think is the best product for my needs. It may take a while, but you will be very happy at the end. :-D

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
The first thing I buy as soon as I get some expendable income is the MPB, I thought about setting one up as, I have a good few items of kit which I have doubled up on and figured it would be a good idea to keep a 'spare' set for spur of the moment 'adventures' more like a durable possibles bag.
I want something inconspicuous with tons of accessble pockets....certainly on my wish list but for the moment i need to get my gear in order ready for late spring!

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
rappelby, i was relating the story to a workmate yesterday of how i once spent eight hours stranded with a broken down hire van waiting for the aa man to turn up, i would have loved to have had a bug out bag with kit to make a brew, a spare jumper, and so on, as would my sister and her nipper. as it was i spent a fair bit of time hitching four miles up the road and back to the little chef to use the phone and get food and drinks. it was a crap weekend.

there is more to "survivalist" than grabbing your guns and running for the hills. how about the scouts "be prepared" philosophy? if you don't like the term B.O.B. think of it as a G.O.A.T bag, that's Going On A Trip bag.

does keeping it bushcraft preclude all talk of first aid kits, torches, swiss army knives, training, and varying degrees of being prepared?

i don't wish to seem unduly harsh, i do appreciate your point. when people start discussing N.W.O. and black helicopter sightings i'll be quite happy to see those posts removed if inappropriate. but at this level it seems like a reasonable topic of discussion. btw, if they start discussing long term storage of munitions stockpiles, torch 'em :-D

back to the topic, briefly,

the nearest thing i have to a goat bag is simply well kitted out 35L day sack. with brew kit, waterproofs, fleece, poncho, a bit of food, couple of water bottles, spare torch, that sort of thing.

the maxpedition stuff looks ideal, but it's a bit out of range of the budget at the moment.

cheers, and.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
GOAT bags a good handle for an expanded psk. I always have a kelly kettle a large bottle of water,coffee,psk,spare microfibre coat and a picnic blanket in my car. The KK has been used on lots of building sites without power supplies.Builders are, or used to be, surprised and impressed with the ability for hot drinks.If you carry kit you always seem to find a use for it!The first aid kit is in almost weekly use and the blanket has even been used for picnics and to kneel on with suit trousers to get under the car(breakdown)

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
I tried to avoid the Survivalist type comparison by calling it more of a 'possibles' bag. I already keep my sleeping bag in the car so figure I could extend this.
Items I’ll include will be:
Maglite & Petzl, Swedish stove, Tinder & Firelighting kit, Hootchie, Water bottle, Candle, SAK, Leatherman, Socks, Jumper, Towel... All things I could have made use for at one time or another when out on spontaneity drives or stuck for any length of time.
Unfortunately a fixed blade would be out of the question as my bag would reside in the car (I think its still classed as carrying a dangerous weapon in public even though it may be locked in the car) :)

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Personally, I don't put a lot of money in my BOBs (or possibles bags or whatever you wan't to call them). They sit in the back of my truck or car for months unused. That's not to say they shouldn't be serviceable and good quality. I would avoid nylon with polyurethane coatings. Sitting in the trunk (what do you folks call a trunk? a boot?) of a car during the heat of summer will ruin them. Polyurethane will degrade under high heat. I generally use a canvas pack, usually of army surplus variety and not too expensive but serviceable. If you really are forced to leave your home and need a higher quality pack, you can always grab your high dollar pack and transfer your possibles when you begin your trek.

For urban problems, I tend to think of BOBs as something I will need when I have to evacuate my home due to a power outage or chemical spill or whatever. My destination will be a shelter or hotel. A good duffel bag will do the trick. The idea that there will be a national emergency and you will be able to survive in the wilderness until civilization restores itself is more of a comic book and "survival" forum scenario than reality, imo. :-D

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:biggthump

just trying to keep things real :wink:

as most of us know the "rambo,SAS Terrorist" badge follows anyone in the "survival" bracket of leisure interests.

i just think the less links with survivalsits and the more with "bushcraft" the better!

sorry if i came across too strong but i believe we have some ideals and ethics we want to treasure. :hurra:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
B.O.B, G.O.A.T bag, Grab bag whatever you want to call it is great - a sound idea and something you will be glad you have if you ever need it.

Question is - isnt all that stuff (except shovels and such which I leave in the boot anyway in case of brake down) what you usually carry in your daysack? A 'survival kit', for want of a better term, that you carry into the hills on your back.

If so why not just take your daysack with you?

donkeyporge

Dec 9, 2003
Wigan
I do usually use my daysack but that's only when i have plans on going out. I wanted to do this for occasions (and there have been many) when i haven't anticipated staying out or being stuck in an environment where it would be handy to be able to make a brew or sleep in the car a little more comfortable.
Also it started out as I have doubled up on allot of kit and need to sort it all out for the end of spring, instead of packing it away in the shed where it will be neglected forgotten about and probably start to rot! :)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Isn't a "possibles bag" what you stuff in your coat pocket when you're out with the gun - just in case you bag a rabbit or a couple of grouse ?

Not trying to be fussy - just starting to doubt my own memory :-D

Cheers

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I always thought that "possibles bag" was an old frontier/backwoods term for a bag that contaied things you might possibly need, like spare knife, spare flint, seasoning and other odds and sods.

These days I use a brit army respirator bag in a similar way when out shooting.

Dave

N

narsil

I've been looking at the maxpedition thermite for a similar purpose. I figure that most of my kit is either big like sleeping bag, hoochie etc or quite small, first aid kit, firesteel, tinderbox, torch and all the other litle bits and pieces. At he moment the odds and ends all live in my smock which is all welll and good as long as i'm wearing it, and theres so many pockets that its easy to loose track of stuff.

My plan is that if I pack all of the small essentials into a thermite pack then i can just grab it and i';m ready to go if i feel like going for a wander. I suppose its kind of one step up from the classic altiods tin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE