Portable frying pan, no handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I would like to know if anyone knows of a carbon steel frying pan that's made without a handle. Instead of a regular handle it would have a square socket welded on the outside (where a handle would normally be) so that the user can just square up one end of a stick and insert it into the socket.
Advantages are: -handle can be any length
-pan is somewhat lighter but much more 'packable' by not having a fixed handle
-a stick doesn't get hot obviously, so no more burned fingers or looking for a glove or rag while cooking
-new campsite, make new handle, no need to pack extra weight
-by making the socket square rather than round there's no danger of the pan rotating on the handle and spilling
-easily made if not commercially available with a bit of square tubing if you have access to a welder.
So, is there such a pan made that's sold somewhere or is this something I'd need to get made if I want one?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
never seen one but why not make one?

Cut the existing handle off (or unscrew it..) and weld on the fixture you had in mind? and obviously if the part you'd wish to weld on doesn't exist, attempt to make one?

worth a go right?

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Definitely is worth a go I think. I just need to find a suitable pan first. It would be nice to find a used pan for cheap to try it, maybe ebay or yardsale, second hand store etc.

Mikko S

Mar 13, 2010
Helsinki, Finland
We have these in every big store in Finland:

retkeily_6849_m_0511_16c.jpg

But it's made for frying these flat pancackes we eat here called "lettu", so there is not much of the rim.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Try googling "frying pan wood handle", you should get quite a few hits

Most of them look to have a socket with a grub screw or pure friction fit, should be easy enough to mod one.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
To solve the same problem, I bought a very cheap frying pan in Sainsbury's then cut the handle off with a hacksaw, leaving just a stub big enough to hold, then wanged a bit of metal tubing over it. A stick jammed in the hole has enough friction not to rotate. I have cast iron pans and griddles at home with unscrewable wooden handles which I bought in the US back in the 70s. I wouldn't travel with them, though -too heavy.

Last edited:

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I too am firmly in the no handle team I use a very battered old Bulldog one the simple fact is that any pan made for use with a gripper will work
has anybody used a baking type tin ? I have some Hazelnuts I dried in one of my Mrs cake tins and was eyeing up for possible abuse on a fire

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
Hi,
I know this isn't exactly what you're asking for but I've been considering getting one of these -

www.bensbackwoods.com/servlet/Detail?no=644

Just a thought..

Dave.

A possibility but I'd rather not use a pot gripper as it's just something extra I'm liable to lose:)

What about something like this, a balti dish?

Hot handles!

I was thinking of a small WOK.

Woks are deeper than I like, plus as above the handles get hot unless they're wood, but are prone to burning then.

Look out for a Chapati pan in your local Asian store, they often come with a folding handle.

I don't know what a Chapati pan is. And not only do we not have any Asian stores here, we don't have any Asians either:D I guess -40 or colder in the winter scares them off!

Why a carbon steel frying pan? wouldn't stainless or aluminium be better?

I like carbon. Once cured it's like a well cured cast iron pan. No sticking!

I have one like this, sound as a pound.

vango-non-stick-frying-pan-with-folding-handle-2147-p[ekm]609x300[ekm].jpg

A folding handle would be great actually but so far I can't find one in carbon- non stick coated only, and I really have no use for coated pans. I find that they just aren't as durable as plain old steel. Over time even the best coated pans become scratched.

This is the type of pan I like. I just need to get the handle business squared away!
http://www.cutlerycuts.com/images/thumbnails/tn_hdcarbonsteelfrypan.jpg

Thanks everyone for your responses!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE