Poor man's venison

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gardian

Nov 15, 2015
United Kingdom
Very pleased this evening, bagged a buck muntjac. Have been baiting a spot for a week now, tonight he obliged. That's the butchers bill sorted for a month or two. I did respectfully toasted his demise in the time honoured way.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Very pleased this evening, bagged a buck muntjac. Have been baiting a spot for a week now, tonight he obliged. That's the butchers bill sorted for a month or two. I did respectfully toasted his demise in the time honoured way.
Never tried the muntjack ...
Seen plenty out and about around here but no had the pleasure yet...

Have you? Is there any distinguishing difference between the muntjack and say the roe deer?
Why poor man's venison?

Regards
👍

Last edited:

Gardian

Nov 15, 2015
United Kingdom
I prefer the taste of Munty above "proper" venison, I think it's like sirloin steak. I call it poor man's venison because it's not deer! (According to some folks)

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
You should have a good head of muntjac down in Wiltshire, they can be elusive though.
Loads ... Short little stumpy things aren't they!?
And indeed very elusive.
But they do jump out in front of cars sometimes .

I used to like sitting in complete silence and motionless , for as long as I can when out in the local forest, Savernake.

The whole place comes alive , but even then , only seen munty a handful of times ...all these years.

Now with a dog and kids , I've got no chance of doing that , let alone seeing one... :)
Enjoy your bounty Sir!
Good on you

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Muntjac, in my opinion is the nicest venison of them all, 18 month old animal, is probably the tenderest, enjoy.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Oh boy. Don't get me started. Game like this is an extraordinady feast.
You can knock them down any time of year? Any number of them?
Gotta be like shooting ruffed grouse up here.
But, probably a lot more quiet sneaking around. ......

I can't walk so well any more. So, I hunt with a cheque book for a side of bison each November.
Then, I barter and swap for moose, venison, elk, pork, lamb, chickens. We all have a good time.

Look. if you don't have a reasonably good-sized freezer, you need one.
There's no possible way I could pull this meat barter thing with out one.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
With no season and no bag limit, what's not to like? I could learn to like hunting those little guys.
Then, we sit down and barter. They introduced vermin? Knock 'em all off. Go for it to protect your indigenous wildlife.
Imagine = a hind quarter on the BBQ for 4-6 hrs with a good rub, apple cider spritz and apple wood smoke for the first hour.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Muntjac is difficult to shoot (small, elusive) and delicious. Not poor man's venison at all! What did you use to take it down? Only one I've ever seen received a 50gr HP .223

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE