pondering insulation for a DIY underquilt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Woah, if you want to sell on any leftovers let me know, or swap for leather. I make bags from canvas and leather.
d0f4828564c76bfbe3d55daaf8707abd.jpg

13c432bd1cd28a7434b553a619f3a46d.jpg

You make some nice bags... did you make the one next to your hammock in the previous post?

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
From #8: rock/mineral "wool" is pretty much the same thing as the glass fiber insulation. Recall that glass is essentially melted and fused sand (mineral.)
If I had to make the choice, I'd be looking for some sort of closed cell, plastic foam. The closed cells are bubbles and as such, don't soak up any water.
The black foam neoprene used in Scuba-diving wet suits has the closed cell anatomy. Hunting in winter, I used to carry a 12" x 12" piece of 3/8" to sit on.

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
Down pillows...

Now that sounds a cheap way of gathering insulation. I've also looked at making a UQ and TQ utilising old sleeping bags as the outer. Interested to see how this thread and indeed, the project, develops. Hope it goes well and don't forget.... PICS!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I have an old down sleeping bag that needs topping up and have been looking at sources of down to do this project.
Also synthetic filling for other projects.
By coincidence having just read the paper that I picked up on the train to the Kent meet last night, there is a full page advert for duck feather and down duvets for £20.
There are so many cheap duvets and pillows in the shops , I think some re-purposing may be done. Probably a bit time consuming unpicking
duvets compared to pillows but loads of material to reuse.
I don't know anything about hammock quilts having never seen one, but could you cut the shape out of a duvet and sew some binding round the edges?

Further thought, if you could do that, could you get two out of one by cutting them out top to tail.

Last edited:

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Further thought, if you could do that, could you get two out of one by cutting them out top to tail.

And make Pertex envelopes to put them in, be a little heavier than purpose made quilts, the Pertex might even compensate for the sewn through stitching on the duvets, yeah, why not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE