Poncho

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Seadog

Tenderfoot
May 5, 2013
United Kingdom
A British army poncho has been in the bottom of my day pack for years (emergency shelter, long waterproof for when it lashes it down, spare groundsheet etc.) only problem is mine has now suffered from the well documented seam tape glue failure. I am torn between attempting repair by re-taping seams with silicone or just buying newer issue item.

I am happier with the heavier weight nylon rather than the very thin ripstop as I hate the rustle. Also I cant see the point of buying a surplus replacement that is of the same vintage as my item as it will undoubtedly suffer from the same glue problems.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've been using a DD poncho for a good while now and I can't fault it; it's between the lightweight jobbies and the issue one, quite substantial and no russle. It's had all the uses you name above and still looks like new.

Just weighed it at a tad over a Kilo, can't recommend it too highly for the your requirements, and you'll get one for a little over £20................Let us know what you do decide in the end.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I bought a US army unused one off Fleabay in woodland camo. £20, fantastic bit of kit.
You can also get a quilted liner for them for chilly days for about £20.

Yes. But you can't "wear" the liner. It doesn't have a hole for your head; it's meant to be tied into the poncho and folded over to make a makeshift sleeping bag. Or even just use it alone as a light quilt. It worked very well in that role during the Vietnam War where it was too hot to use (or even bother carrying) a real sleeping bag.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Yes. But you can't "wear" the liner. It doesn't have a hole for your head; it's meant to be tied into the poncho and folded over to make a makeshift sleeping bag.

Not the military ones, true, but there are commercial alternatives available now and then. I have one from Nomad Travel which does have a Velcro-sealed head hole, although they don't seem to be selling it at the moment. It's a relatively simple cut and sew project to adapt the military liners, too.

As for the poncho, I'd be inclined to try sealing the seams on your current model if you're otherwise happy with it.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Not the military ones, true, but there are commercial alternatives available now and then. I have one from Nomad Travel which does have a Velcro-sealed head hole, although they don't seem to be selling it at the moment. It's a relatively simple cut and sew project to adapt the military liners, too........

I've seen the modification mentioned briefly in some articles. Never seen one commercially available but I'll take your word as it's perfectly logical. Have you ever used either? A commercial one or a modified one? The reason I ask is that I have seen many of the ordinary, unmodified ones and it seems that, given their materials, they'd soak up rain and not be especially useful. However, as I said, I've never seen one used that way and I'd be interested to hear from someone with personal experience.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I take it that the liner attaches to the poncho and are the same size, so it just needs the hole cut in the liner to be worn together.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
More or less. The liner's just slightly smaller in each direction. Just enough so that the poncho extends far enough to allow it to still snap together.

Here's a link to one surplus store (though these are new liners) You can see the ties at the corners of the various liners. They are along the sides so that they are to be tied to the corresponding grommets on the poncho when you use them together as a sleeping bag. As earlier, it can be used alone as a light quilt. It folds/rolls down to a size roughy the same as a one pound coffee can.

www.galaxyarmynavy.com/galaxy_army_navy_poncho_liners.asp

That's the only link I could actually post, but there are numerous surplus stores carrying them, and Amazon as well.

Last edited:

Iambosscat

Nomad
Mar 11, 2013
Ipswichville
I've been using a DD poncho for a good while now and I can't fault it; it's between the lightweight jobbies and the issue one, quite substantial and no russle. It's had all the uses you name above and still looks like new.

Just weighed it at a tad over a Kilo, can't recommend it too highly for the your requirements, and you'll get one for a little over £20................Let us know what you do decide in the end.

Would this fit over me and my rucksack? Im a fat bstd but only have a small maxped falcon back pack

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Yes it will, they're a good big thing and although I'm not a fat bstd it covers me and a 60L pack with side pouches.............

Will_

Nomad
Feb 21, 2013
Dorset
Would this fit over me and my rucksack? Im a fat bstd but only have a small maxped falcon back pack
I've got a DD poncho. It covers a pack nicely when hiking. It's actually longer at the back to cover rucksacks.
My biggest disappointment is that it is not wide enough for a decent shelter. It's longer than the British Army 58 poncho, which means your feet/head stay dry when using it for shelter. But if you like a lean to shelter and a fire, it just isn't deep enough for it.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Have you ever used either?...The reason I ask is that I have seen many of the ordinary, unmodified ones and it seems that, given their materials, they'd soak up rain and not be especially useful.
Yes, I've used the Nomad version quite a bit, generally as a blanket or wrap but also as a poncho. Works quite well, as it means you can actually use your hands and get on with a few camp chores instead of just holding the rather slippery blanket around yourself. They are, of course, not in the least waterproof, but that's what the main poncho is for and the liner can be tied into it for additional warmth. Recently I've been using a down quilt from Jacks 'R' Better which can be worn in the same way but is warm enough to function as a 2 - 3 season sleeping bag. Terrific bit of kit, although I look an utter pillock wearing it :D

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Yeah, my question was meant, have you used it "as a poncho?" rather than as a blanket. Thanks for the info.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE