pomegranate

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Time to get the pin out. :lmao:

Sorry just always takes me back to being a kid and getting a pomegranate as a treat, sliced and given a half each to pick out the little ruby jewels with a pin. Also makes me think of the story of Kore/Persephone one of the first Greek myths I ever read.

Never picked them wild, must be a great place to wander around and forage.

Cheers for posting up.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I love pomegranites!

(But as a Classical scholar, I too avoid them in the Underworld..)

I picked up a load at the market some weeks ago, huge ones with really red seeds (the best) £1 for two.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Time to get the pin out. :lmao:

Sorry just always takes me back to being a kid and getting a pomegranate as a treat, sliced and given a half each to pick out the little ruby jewels with a pin.

Thats the first thing I thought of lol.

It wasn't till 3 days ago that I found out a different way and much easier way by mr Jamie Oliver.

If you put your hand out palm side up and spread your fingers, place half the pomegranate cut side down on your fingers and "spank" it with a wooden spoon then the "little ruby jewels" just fall out (into the bowl you placed below your hand previous to spanking). I hope no one is following this step by step.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Thats the first thing I thought of lol.

It wasn't till 3 days ago that I found out a different way and much easier way by mr Jamie Oliver.

If you put your hand out palm side up and spread your fingers, place half the pomegranate cut side down on your fingers and "spank" it with a wooden spoon then the "little ruby jewels" just fall out (into the bowl you placed below your hand previous to spanking). I hope no one is following this step by step.

:D It's maybe an age/generation thing. :D

I've seen and tried the wooden spoon spanking method (did I really just type that? :rolleyes: ) but I've also seen another way when out in Turkey. The chef/vendor would slice in half equatorially, then a quick short cut in a Grenwich line fashion then with the thumb at the pole point of each half push inwards and the halves would invert, turning themself inside out. All the "rubies" would fall out onto plate or over the salad in no time.
However the pin method is a good way to pass the time on a driech Sunday afternoon while reading a book.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Last edited:

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
Yeh, I've found that the best places to forage for fruits is at the side of the many paths that take me up out of the valley. Some of these are pilgrim routes and at nearly every natural stopping point, burn, view, rocks to sit on, I find apple trees. I imagine the pilgrim stopping, drinking, eating an apple and tossing the core into the bushes. Also I know of pear, apple, plum and fig trees along the side of the rail tracks, again seeds tossed from the window of a passing train.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Yes, turning them inside out works well.

Much better and succinctly put Tengu. :D
Historians have been able to track human movement by crops and weed for a while. I'd heard they'd been tracking the movement of settlers from their initial bridgehead into the interior of the United States through the dispersal of mustard seed/plants. One of the important plants the took and spread prolifically as they went.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
You will end up in the Underworld for good at that rate.

I find apple trees the same way too. Several round here are at road junctions where the car stops and cores get thown out

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE