Poltice for wounds

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I thought all `modern` medicine came from `nature`an the old ways ??? -plant extracts- ??????

Much of it does, but its refined, tested, clinically trialled then used whereas auntie Joan knocking up some herbal brew or dressing is leaving you and your immune system open to a massive attack. Take your pick, the choice is yours.

Mar 5, 2009
Southport
I had finger surger about 6 days ago and it went great. I had the dressing removed yesterday and it is healing really well. Whiston hospital have been excellent no problems with care from them.

The reason why I wanted to know about the poltice is that Sandsnakes did a wonderful workshop at the Bushmoot in 200?. He used a poltice on his own hand after surgery and got minimal scarring. It is purely to reduce any scarring.

Thank you all for your input and I'll message sandsnakes for his recipe!

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
RIK_UK3

Naturopathy is not quackery, rather it is old style medical practice that is often used when the more modern methods of treatment are found to be ineffective, I may not be first choice but for many it is last choice when other methods have failed to resolve the situation.

This site revolves around nature and the wilds, or have you not noticed, many are interested in what our forebears did to resolve the problems they we confronted with. Do not confuse primitive with lack of sophistication.

Further to this you have no idea of the exchange between Sooozy and I.

Judge not least ye be judged.

Sandsnakes

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'd just like to echo sandsnakes comment about Naturopathy. I had a very ill ('had' because he isn't ill now) son, who was basically being kept alive by naturopathic treatment. When he finally catastrophically collapsed and needed major surgery, the chief pediatric thoracic surgeon in Leeds general infirmary wanted details of how we'd been caring for our son. He said that child with my son's condition normal have the catastrophic collapse before age 2 - my son was 6. So we had the chief registrar and the surgeon taking extensive notes on the fever and infection care techniques taught to us by a naturopath in York.

Naturopathy is very much a complementary form of treatment.

(just in case people misunderstand, we had been taking our son to doctors and hospital constantly since he was a month old. They just failed to pick up on his condition).

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
No matter what treatment is used it should be based on the evidence of it consistently working.

I have had these arguements before it doesn't matter how much clinical evidence, or the quatity of the evidence, the same very repetive arguement is still put forward by the same individuals that spoil perfectly good threads about natural medicine.

I dont know what sandsnakes put in his poltice but I use comfry. It contians high levels of allantion. Here are peer reviewed articles on research on allantion.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
I have had these arguements before it doesn't matter how much clinical evidence, or the quatity of the evidence, the same very repetive arguement is still put forward by the same individuals that spoil perfectly good threads about natural medicine.

I dont know what sandsnakes put in his poltice but I use comfry. It contians high levels of allantion. Here are peer reviewed articles on research on allantion.

I thought I made my statement clear enough.
No matter what treatment is used it should be based on the evidence of it consistently working.

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
What I'm saying is I'm happy with any medical treatment/practise so long as it is based upon evidence of actually working, be that some twigs, synthetic drug or whatever.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
When you say 'evidence' do you mean anecdotal or empirical evidence? Or something tested in a double-blind experiment? Where personal bias/faith is excluded along with any chance of the placebo effect skewing the results.

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Thank you Bushwhaker for that clarification.

I would not post 'dodgy' material or advice in a public forum niether would Xylara-the lady of the woods! We are both responsible and well informed adults and like to be treated as such.

As reguards the question I was asked, behind the public forum, I applied the normal criteria of w,w,w,w etc, etc.

And yes peer reviewed articles with double blind testing do stand up in court. ;-)

Sandsnakes

Sandsnakes

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE