Polishing up an old knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Hi there, this is (until my new Frosts Clipper arrives) my only sheath knife. It was my Mum's girl guide knife and has spent a good 15-20 years sitting in a damp garage till I rescued it a few years ago.

I've had a go at cleaning it up with a wire brush and wire wool over the years and have got most of the rust off. But there are some bits on both sides that are pitted and there's just a layer of black stuff over the hole blade, I have managed to reduce it by hand but can't get it off. We do have a Dremel in the shed but all the heads have been lost. I don't really know anything about mettle or knives and would just like to ask what should I do with it? I would like to get it shiny, but I have thought that the easiest thing would be to black it up (commando stile) but thought it wouldn't really go with the bushcrafting image :D .

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats not deep rust mate its called patina - a knife with some history develops it. Leave it be is my advice - its a badge of honour (it also inhibits further rust)

Red

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
Yes I agree with red, leave it! Its got character, just put a good edge on it and maybe give it a new bit of leather to live in? any way it will get better as it is used.
Chris

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If you must clean it up theres some rubber blocks impregnated with abrasive that are very good, I can't remember what they are called cos mine fell off the back of an engineering company I worked for so I never bought it :eek: .

Very good for removing rust but not too harsh , also you might find that those blue pen erasers are pretty good.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
British Red said:
Thats not deep rust mate its called patina - a knife with some history develops it. Leave it be is my advice - its a badge of honour (it also inhibits further rust)

Red

Thanks :You_Rock_ . there are some patches of pitting as well but there not to deep. Could I just leave them as well?

Edit:As for the sheath I have made a bulky sheath out of wood just to keep it safe, but I have been thinking about making a leather one. Will have to get hold of a piece of leather somewhere.

Here it is

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So long as there is no sort of "scabs" of rust mate, it'll be fine . I have a beautiful (centuries) old knife that has that grey to black patina - I love it! People dunk carbon knives in vinegar tring to achieve it. Its great!

Red

chrisanson

Nomad
Apr 12, 2006
Dudley
WhichDoctor said:
Thanks :You_Rock_ . there are some patches of pitting as well but there not to deep. Could I just leave them as well?

Edit:As for the sheath I have made a bulky sheath out of wood just to keep it safe, but I have been thinking about making a leather one. Will have to get hold of a piece of leather somewhere.

Here it is

i like the wooden sheath(very 14th century).
but if ya wont a bit ov leather big enogh to make one for youself PM me ya address i havse some bits you can have.
chris

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
British Red said:
So long as there is no sort of "scabs" of rust mate, it'll be fine . I have a beautiful (centuries) old knife that has that grey to black patina - I love it! People dunk carbon knives in vinegar tring to achieve it. Its great!

Red

Ok I'll just keep it as it is and cherish it :D . Thanks for the help :You_Rock_ .

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
chrisanson said:
i like the wooden sheath(very 14th century).
but if ya wont a bit ov leather big enogh to make one for youself PM me ya address i havse some bits you can have.
chris

Thanks that would be grate :D sending PM now.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
demographic said:
If you must clean it up theres some rubber blocks impregnated with abrasive that are very good, I can't remember what they are called cos mine fell off the back of an engineering company I worked for so I never bought it :eek: .

Very good for removing rust but not too harsh , also you might find that those blue pen erasers are pretty good.

I think you mean these. They are very usefull. I use them for lots of things.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
WhichDoctor, the blocks that you normally use to wrap sandpaper around are not ordinarily abrasive themselves. The blocks in the link ARE the abrasive. They are a bit like a firm pencil eraser with grit in it. They're ruddy useful things for cleaning up all sorts of metal-wares.

Wayland.. How big are the ones from Axminster (roughly) ?
I've been stung before buying stuff like this on the net only to have it arrive and the blocks are about an inch long. Not much good for most of the jobs I want them for. Azminsters don't show a size and my old one has worn almost to nothing and I need to replace it.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Longstrider said:
I've been stung before buying stuff like this on the net only to have it arrive and the blocks are about an inch long. Not much good for most of the jobs I want them for. Azminsters don't show a size and my old one has worn almost to nothing and I need to replace it.
Axminster do show the size, you have to click on the tab marked 'Description'
the garryflex blocks are 80mm x 50mm x 20mm ( 3"1/8 inch X 1"15/16 X 3/4 inch)

Happy new year :)

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Longstrider said:
WhichDoctor, the blocks that you normally use to wrap sandpaper around are not ordinarily abrasive themselves. The blocks in the link ARE the abrasive. They are a bit like a firm pencil eraser with grit in it. They're ruddy useful things for cleaning up all sorts of metal-wares.

Oops my mistake, I didn't look at it closely enough. But my sanding block thing does have a coating of abrasive stuff on the outside, thats what got me confused :eek: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE