Polish Tatra Mountains - weekend trip to "The 5 Lakes Valley"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
As I said here (http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45955) I decided to go for a short trip to the mountains. Weekend trip, of which 2 days we spent in the heart of Polish Tatra Mountains, and exaclty in "The 5 Lakes Valley" - probably the most beautiful place in Poland I'm aware of! No kidding!

Our equipment was quite simple - slipping bags, first-aid, knife, camera and a lot of TAD Gear stuff. I packed Ranger Hoodie, Raptor v.3, Merino Equilibrium, Braincase, Cargo pants, old school shirt and shemagh. Some basic food & water of course. My wife took her Explorer Jacket and some other stuff. Plus maps, headlight, sporks, towels and usual adventure gear. I put most of that stuff into my P.S. and my wife took EDC. Together we had 42L + 30L of storage, just enough for our trip.

Priority One - get to the 5-Lakes mountain shelter. Couple of hours mountain walk with difference of levels 2300ft. Sounds great, doesn't it?

DSC_9806.jpg

DSC_9821.jpg

DSC_9825.jpg

DSC_9818.jpg

DSC_9836.jpg

Getting there... killer views! We had AWESOME wheather, sunny but not too hot. Early Fall is the best time to explore Tatra. And finally - we're there! 5 Lakes Valley!

DSC_9810.jpg

DSC_9862.jpg

DSC_9873.jpg

DSC_9878.jpg

DSC_9887.jpg

Most people would call it a day and enjoy beer in front of the shelter, but I decided to take the test to the limits (at least my limits). I wanted to climb up further to the place called "Goat's Col", which is the "sharpest" and most V-like col there. And that means another 1600 ft. up! When starting in the morning from the shelter it's a cool trip, but just after getting to 5 Lakes it was A REAL challenge for me. WIth my P.S. v.2 bag of course, to test it to the limits. And this time it was not just "a walk"...

DSC_9891.jpg

DSC_9895.jpg

DSC_9911.jpg

DSC_9919.jpg

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
And suddenly... ****! On my way up my shoe broke. Didn't know how & why, but it did. Hell, I was too close to give up! I used my Harsey knife and piece of the lace and "sewed" it together and continued my way up...

DSC_9921.jpg

DSC_9922.jpg

DSC_9924.jpg

And after some serious climbing... I was there, on The Goat's Col. It's as serious as they say. With snow & ice. And yes, you need to climb chains & bolts to get there. The Goats Col belongs to Eagle's Ridge Trail, the most dangerous place in Polish Tatra. Imagine that more than 100 people died there since they opened it in 1906.

Beautifutl place. When you get there... nothing else maters, it's only you and the dangerous nature of that place. Love that feeling!

DSC_9953.jpg

DSC_9933.jpg

DSC_9941.jpg

And the way back:

DSC_9944.jpg

Killer views again:

DSC_9963.jpg

DSC_9965.jpg

DSC_9984.jpg

DSC_9989.jpg

When I got back to the shelter, well, the day was over. I was totally exhausted. I couldn't walk any more. I just grabbed my beer and took some rest. That was day well spent!

DSC_9994.jpg

The next morning was very windy. We had to climb down with all our gear on our backs. Time to get back home...

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

And... that's it. The fun is over.

The TAD Gear F.A.S.T. P.S. v.2 made that adventure really enjoyable. It's a great pack for walking, but also for climbing. It's big enough to get all gear needed for couple_days_long trip, but small enough for climbing places like The Goat's Col. I could easily fit 3L STORM Camelbak in the hydration compartment of P.S. The internal frame is really well designd - my back was well ventilated but the load (weight center) was still quite close to my body so the ballance was really very good! I won't say much about the construction itself here (check my "preview" thread for that) but it's simply bombproof, superb, TAD class. I can recommend that pack to anyone, who needs serious 3-day pack. It's a tool, not a gadget.

DSC_0041.jpg

Great trip and pics, thanks for posting. Particularly like the backlit shot across the lake with the lens flare, gives me the feeling of being there.
Been thinking of a trip to The Tatra Mountains for years, but always end up in Scandinavia for family reasons. I've always heard that it's stunning, and very reasonable value.
Do you have any links or suggestions which would show where to fly in to, and how to get from the airport to the best areas of the Tatras? Or to possible mountain refuges?

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I went to the Tatras this year - amazing place, cant wait to go back!
I stayed in Zacopane, which is easy (and cheap) to get to from Krakow, but its touristy but that means lots of places to eat, shops etc. It makes a good base.
Next time I go I hope it'll be a proper mountain walking holiday. I'd use Zacopane as my start point and hire a 4x4. From there its easy enough to get right up into the mountains, the town is literally on the edge of them.
You dont really here of Brits going there much, its mostly Polish holiday makers, but its a really great holiday spot.....cant recomend it highly enough!

Great pics Piter - looks like an excellent trip(Jenqui bardzo!) , wish I was there right now!
cheers

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Awesome pictures Piter. Dziekuje.

There are some truly beautiful places in Poland. I first went to the Tatra's in Jan 07 and had a fantastic couple of walks there.

Zakopane is a great place.

Might go back before the year is out and visit a few folk.

PiterM

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2009
Poland
What are the patches on your pack?

first is TAD GEAR patch (www.tadgear.com)

second is limited CRI patch. I admit, I'm Jason Bourne fan! And much of the intrigue in "The Bourne Ultimatum" movie takes place in the New York offices of Controlled Resources International (CRI), the front company that serves as the CIA’s deep cover... “This is NSA priority level 4. Any questions?” :D

cricap.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE