polish lavvu leak

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

teepee_rik

Jun 15, 2016
wales
any folks on here use a polish lavvu tent? when it rains the the tent always leaks from just one of the arm holes. ive tried fabsil but it still gets through. does any one have a solution? i was think old school candle wax but thought there might be a better way?

teepee_rik

Jun 15, 2016
wales
Stitch another layer of canvas over the hole like a flap?

yeah that had entered my mind, just thought id open up the floor incase there was a solution i hadnt thought of. Also want to use one arm hole for a chimney in the winter months, be nice to be able to pick between four holes depending on the ground i'm camped on. but i can see your suggestion probably being the best one, thanks

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
After a good scrute at mine, I concluded that the way it should be pitched as a tent, is with the shoulder extra flap on the inside. There seems a lot of confusion over this, but that's my take on it.
In that configuration, the arm holes should channel any water that gets into the closure flaps, to the outside.

It does seem a daft arrangement, that when you change from poncho to tent, you transfer the maximum amount of water to yourself! Also the shoulder flaps get in the way in the tent. But that looks to be the only way that the arm holes can be in any way waterproof.

I modified the stitching around the arm flaps on mine, to allow water to drain to the other side.
So I can now have the outside of the poncho as the outside of the tent.

As an aside to the lavvu mod people, and in case you feel brave....

I modified mine to add zips to the arm holes and the main button seems. So I can now zip both halves together as a tent, or as two ponchos. (I like the option of keeping the option of a poncho, as that excuses some of the weight that I am carrying.)

I also did it in a way that allows the buttons to still be used, rather than just trust the zips. The other mod was to make an A frame from some old fibreglass tent poles, so in place of the centre pole.

Just the central heating and kitchen sink to install.

Jules

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Is it just one armhole out of the four that leaks or is it one arm hole that leaks whenever it rains depending upon the orientation to the wind?

ATB

Ogri the trog

teepee_rik

Jun 15, 2016
wales
After a good scrute at mine, I concluded that the way it should be pitched as a tent, is with the shoulder extra flap on the inside. There seems a lot of confusion over this, but that's my take on it.
In that configuration, the arm holes should channel any water that gets into the closure flaps, to the outside.

It does seem a daft arrangement, that when you change from poncho to tent, you transfer the maximum amount of water to yourself! Also the shoulder flaps get in the way in the tent. But that looks to be the only way that the arm holes can be in any way waterproof.

I modified the stitching around the arm flaps on mine, to allow water to drain to the other side.
So I can now have the outside of the poncho as the outside of the tent.

As an aside to the lavvu mod people, and in case you feel brave....

I modified mine to add zips to the arm holes and the main button seems. So I can now zip both halves together as a tent, or as two ponchos. (I like the option of keeping the option of a poncho, as that excuses some of the weight that I am carrying.)

I also did it in a way that allows the buttons to still be used, rather than just trust the zips. The other mod was to make an A frame from some old fibreglass tent poles, so in place of the centre pole.

Just the central heating and kitchen sink to install.

Jules
ok are you saying pitch it inside out? yeah i intend to put on zips and a host of other mods, its quickly become my summer project

teepee_rik

Jun 15, 2016
wales
Is it just one armhole out of the four that leaks or is it one arm hole that leaks whenever it rains depending upon the orientation to the wind?

ATB

Ogri the trog

its always the same hole. its weird it seems like one half of the tent is much better waterproffed than the other. but i did the proofing myself and know i did both halves the same

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
good to see that unhelpful elitist sarcasm is in this forum like all the others, thanks for the advice :)

Unhelpful elitist sarcasm?

Rik, I had to use those ponchos during my years in the army. Not Polish, but Swedish, but all ponchos are the same.
Heavy with holes in the wrong places.

Why do you think soldiers always try to sleep in buildings, barns and such, instead of using their ponchos?
Why do you think you can buy cheaply one of those ponchos in as new condition? Because no soldier is stupid enough to use one unless it is an extreme situation.

They are good to wear close to base on guard duty in rain. Nothing else.

Last edited:

gonzo_the_great

Forager
Nov 17, 2014
Poole, Dorset. UK
ok are you saying pitch it inside out? yeah i intend to put on zips and a host of other mods, its quickly become my summer project

That does seem to be the way it's designed.
Have a close look at the lower end of the arm holes. If I remember correctly, there is a sort of gutter in there, which will force any water that gets into the double flap system, out and down the canvas. So this dictates which way it needs to be pitched as a tent.
And this way does seem to be inside out.

So I modded mine to drain the water out to the proper outside (ie. the outside of the poncho). Only tested with a spray bottle, as I've not used it out in rain since the mods. But with a back garden test, it seemed fine.
I did give it another very generous re-proof. But is is the design of the flaps, rather than the waterproofing that is the likely cause of your leaks.

Last edited:

teepee_rik

Jun 15, 2016
wales
That does seem to be the way it's designed.
Have a close look at the lower end of the arm holes. If I remember correctly, there is a sort of gutter in there, which will force any water that gets into the double flap system, out and down the canvas. So this dictates which way it needs to be pitched as a tent.
And this way does seem to be inside out.

So I modded mine to drain the water out to the proper outside (ie. the outside of the poncho). Only tested with a spray bottle, as I've not used it out in rain since the mods. But with a back garden test, it seemed fine.
I did give it another very generous re-proof. But is is the design of the flaps, rather than the waterproofing that is the likely cause of your leaks.

cheers im out for a cheeky one nighter this friday so will definetly try it the other way, thanks buddy

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.

That's exactly what I was told pitch it inside out. I've ordered one and asked for any hints and tips on it use. I think I'm the only one, or one of very few, that it's primary use is ponchos and secondary use as a tent. Oh well.:)

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
That's exactly what I was told pitch it inside out. I've ordered one and asked for any hints and tips on it use. I think I'm the only one, or one of very few, that it's primary use is ponchos and secondary use as a tent. Oh well.:)

It works very well either way...But... PERFECTLY well "inside out" as a tent. As such is a blistering secure and rainproof piece for £20

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
any folks on here use a polish lavvu tent? when it rains the the tent always leaks from just one of the arm holes. ive tried fabsil but it still gets through. does any one have a solution? i was think old school candle wax but thought there might be a better way?

Rik, its just a couple of old poncho's mate, dump it and get a proper tent.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE