Polardistance Sleddog race

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
I´know that it is only remotely bushcraft related but I will keep boring you all with sleddog stuff untill you tell me to stop.
Anyway, the past week I have been helping to organize the "Polardistance" sleddog race.
It runs the same week as the Iditarod but is a little different (apart from being only a sixth as long) as it is only open for purebreds of the four polarbreeds siberian husky, alaskan malamute, samojede and eskimo dog.
It is a mix of different teamsizes from skiers with one dog to teams of twelve. A twist is also that the race is "expedition style" meaning you are not allowed any depots, assistance or help of any kind apart from cold water and straw at obligatory checkpionts.
I had planned to take some pictures and make a thread of it but the pace at my checkpoint was so frantic that I wasn´t able to take up my camera once!
Fortunately one of the volunteers is a professional photographer so there are some nice pictures to enjoy on the website:

http://www.polardistans.com/english/defaulteng.html

If you are in the area and have an interest in dogs then this is a great opportunity to see them in action along the trail or even help out as a volunteer (no experience necessary)!

P.S.
A special note about my friend Björn who was the only one to finnish the nordic style 340km, the last half with only one dog(!) and in bad snowconditions. A great demonstration of what these dogs are actually capable of.
Björn at finnish:
I´m from the south. I´m not used to walking in snow up to my hip...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE