Pocket size bushcraft books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
One thing I can never understand about outdoor books in general, is their size. They're always too bloody big! I have Lofty's SAS Survival - a nice compact sized manual, but what else is there? It upsets me to have to say that Ray Mears (or more to the point his publishers) are the biggest culprits when it comes to oversized intruction manuals - the're massive! So does anyone know of any *pocket-sized bushcraft books out there?

* by pocket-size I mean mass market size (or smaller) - mass market paperbacks measure 17.5 X 11.2 cm

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
PDA books, I have some John Muir, Nessmuk, US Army Survival Manual etc on my wee PDA for reading. Project www.gutenberg.org has lots of bushcraft type free books to download. It is really handy as I have RSPB bird calls and other stuff like video clips of birds to help ID stuff. The screen is approx 2 credit cards in area. Slips in the backpocket. It's not waterproof. I can waymark with the gps if I ID something or want to log stuff. It cost £72.

Nick

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
One thing I can never understand about outdoor books in general, is their size. They're always too bloody big! I have Lofty's SAS Survival - a nice compact sized manual, but what else is there? It upsets me to have to say that Ray Mears (or more to the point his publishers) are the biggest culprits when it comes to oversized intruction manuals - the're massive! So does anyone know of any *pocket-sized bushcraft books out there?

* by pocket-size I mean mass market size (or smaller) - mass market paperbacks measure 17.5 X 11.2 cm

There are many sites that offer valuable info for free if you download using Adobe, you can resize the pages to fit your pocket and laminate them,

OurJud

Forager
Oct 31, 2008
Manchester
Thanks, everyone. I should have mentioned that I have most of the CG books. Thanks for the replies.

Celt_Ginger, at 20 X 14 cm, the Ray Mears book is still too big for my liking, but thanks anyway.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Is there a PDF reader available for a PDA?
I have loads of downloads but cant use them on my IPAQ!

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Mors books are very good and incredibly easy to pack in rucsac or trouser pocket!
Ben's will post to UK for very reasonable amount, well before the £/$ rate changed anyway!

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
another vote for mors' booklets, they have some really useful info and each one tends to cover different circumstances i.e. deep snow, cold lacking snow.
George

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
PDA books, I have some John Muir, Nessmuk, US Army Survival Manual etc on my wee PDA for reading. Project www.gutenberg.org has lots of bushcraft type free books to download. It is really handy as I have RSPB bird calls and other stuff like video clips of birds to help ID stuff. The screen is approx 2 credit cards in area. Slips in the backpocket. It's not waterproof. I can waymark with the gps if I ID something or want to log stuff. It cost £72.

Nick

I am slowly turning my stuff into html. Do the same thing as you because you can carry a library, but want more from it. Part of the plan is to slowly build my own version with more info together, than most of the books provide.

Is there a PDF reader available for a PDA?
I have loads of downloads but cant use them on my IPAQ!

I have an IPAQ, that is a major pain, you could get a Version of Abode that worked, but it is an old version, and I have never been able to find it.

New iPhone reads pdf.

Not a big Apple fan, but played with a Nokia N95 yesterday, want one!

Really going to have to look at the N96, now.

For small books it has to be the Collins Gem Books. One of the big problems I had as a Scout Leader was the one bag, that was basically a library. Now I can get all of that on a memory card, an inch square. Progress.

Another idea would be Hipster PDA's, they are 3 by 5 card organisers, you could make your own book, or series of books. I am doing this for First Aid kits, an advice book, that makes sense, and if something changes reprint, and swap the page.

This is why I am working towards my own version, because you can put all of the information together. Read a new book with a couple of little gems, add that to the info, rather than the whole book.

Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
I've mentioned before the idea of using a mobile phone as a device for storing data etc but I'm not sure how well it would work.

Is it possible to stick a word or adobe document onto a standard mobile phone, as opposed to one of these all singing and dancing i-phones? Seems to me it could be an ideal way to have a book or two with you wherever you are.

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I've mentioned before the idea of using a mobile phone as a device for storing data etc but I'm not sure how well it would work.

So far it works really well. Especially the more 'smart' the phone.

Is it possible to stick a word or adobe document onto a standard mobile phone, as opposed to one of these all singing and dancing i-phones? Seems to me it could be an ideal way to have a book or two with you wherever you are.

Word is a bit of an issue, I think, but PDF's with a bit of checking should be alright. The problem comes in the lack of options in the format, or the variety of PDF's.

I prefer HTML. Which is basically a word doc, but you write in the formating. A lot more phones, and other devices now have some form of basic browser. A couple of tips, keep it simple, and use percent as your measure.

Nokia 6600

This link goes to someone doing a lot of different things to the older Nokia 6600, this is not an all singing and dancing phone, by any means.

One of the things I would like to end up with is, two devices, that use the same memory card, with usb charging. That way I could have a PDA(Game player, MP3 player, etc), and a PDA-style phone, using the same info. It would mean I could double up, or back up different abilities, like GPS. The problem is that you actually need three devices if you are going to carry a decent camera, and then that adds another device to find that uses the same card. It well be interesting to see what happens know that we have the new 8mp camera phones.

One of the big problems with this, is the only company that make devices that I really like, is Sony, and they have the biggest pain of a memory card, or do things that limit other peoples access. The PSP would be perfect but for memory stick(which I could live with), and UMA discs(Which is just stupid).

You would have thought publishers would have jumped on the ebook format, but it has got to be a shock to them, for the first time in history books are piratable.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Everyone else has said it, so I will as well:
Collins Gems.
Specifically, the 'Food For Free' and 'Guide To Trees' ones.
A fiver each and only a few inches square. Perfect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE