Pocket knife comparisons!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Well for the last few months I've been testing different pocket knives, of varying designs and brand. I had a Kellam fixed blade pocket knife, and A.Wright and sons sheeps foot, and an Elk Ridge unknown model but Nessmuk style duo blade folding knife.

I trailed them all on the same tests, to evaluate which performed the best. Each carved a tent peg, made an elder whistle and a miniature featherstick to test the agility of the knives. They also all performed other tasks such as vegetable preparation and the a Elk Ridge even had a spell of scraping some propolis of our bee hive!

The Kellam:

Performed the best overall, had a very easily maintained high scandi grind, held its edge well, was especially suited to slicing tasks, even had a little battoning spell, which it also excelled at. The high carbon blade and striker handle meant it strikes sparks with a peice of natural flint very well and will get charred material going no problem. It also came with a lovely hand stitched leather sheath.

Overall a very good knife, but the most expensive of them all.

The Elk Ridge:

Had two 3 inch clip point blades, from ricasso to tip, and had a yellow faux bone handle, basically corian, brass pins and a nice thick mechanism width with a good snap. It performed the second best, still very well and it was good to use for it tasks, especially food prep due to the flat grind, which although it has a micro bevel, still performs very well! This was bought on a whim in a sale so has no papers so I am unsure as to the model. The knife cost £20, but it would have been more expensive had it not been in the sale.

Overall a very good knife.

The A.Wright

A rosewood handled, sheeps foot folding knife, with a legal EDC blade which is actually very thick. The knife performed well, but not as good as the others mainly on edge retention, which was fine to use for short periods and lasted reasonably but it would need sharpening the most often. This was however the cheapest of them all, and at about £15 delivered it's not bad at all.

Overall a decent knife for the money but nothing special.

the photos:

imagejpg1_zpsd7c944ab.jpg

imagejpg3_zps7dc40204.jpg

imagejpg2_zpsdb8c402d.jpg

conclusion:

I like the Kellam the most as it simply performed the best and it was the one I reached for most when I was in the woods. However I do love the Elk Ridge, it's the historical design that appeals, and the idea to use one blade for woodwork and keep the other razor sharp for food prep and skinning tasks, I just like it!

hope you enjoyed this short review! Thanks for reading! :)

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice review and pics Cam.
The Wright is in my mind what a pocket knife is as that's what I started with many moons ago. Though I agree on the points about the Kellam and the Elk Ridge.

Like you I have a plethora of knives that I've acquired over the years. Must say that the "traditional" SAK doesn't really float my boat. I tend to keep going back to my Opinels these days as they are so good at small tasks, very field maintainable and the blade locks.

I also have a collection of small "penknives" (in the old sense - "A penknife, or pen knife, is a small folding pocket knife, originally used for cutting or sharpening a quill to make a pen nib"). They can attach to my watch chain that I used to wear a lot and are good for small carving tasks. They also tend to have twin nice carbon steel blades which sharpen up a treat.

When I was younger I did tend towards the larger and more tactical blades, but have settled down to smaller and more traditional blades.

Cheers for posting,
GB.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good review!

I, like Goatboy, like a basic carbon steel penknife like the A Wright. My EDC is a twin bladed, antler handled Trevor Ablett. Like the A Wright its on the softer side, but I can (and do) sharpen it on a coffee mug. So, whilst low in edge retention, its quick and easy to sharpen. I like the old fashioned, non threatening feel too.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Good review!

I, like Goatboy, like a basic carbon steel penknife like the A Wright. My EDC is a twin bladed, antler handled Trevor Ablett. Like the A Wright its on the softer side, but I can (and do) sharpen it on a coffee mug. So, whilst low in edge retention, its quick and easy to sharpen. I like the old fashioned, non threatening feel too.
ha that's brings a smile to my face regards the mug sharpening, I was taught this years ago and iv never seen or heard it mentioned till now!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Works though doesn't it :) I too learned it years ago and found myself in a hotel room with a blunt penknife. 10 minutes and a plain white coffee mug later - problem solved.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Nice comparison thanks for posting. Great pics too. :)

If you like a carbon bladed slip joint and dont mind micarta, the GEC farm & field bullnose is a real good knife.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Nice comparison thanks for posting. Great pics too. :)

If you like a carbon bladed slip joint and dont mind micarta, the GEC farm & field bullnose is a real good knife.

Cheers mate!

I've never owned a micarta handled blade, but I like the look of them- might end up getting one :).

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Just if anyone's interested, here is the bad boy I picked up with some excess birthday money:

imagejpg1_zpsa7c3fc66.jpg

imagejpg2_zps15f0e13a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps29110fc3.jpg

Bufalo river damascus range ranger knife,

I believe the damascus is high carbon
Jigged bone handles
One bird and trout type blade
One pruning type sheeps foot blade
One nessmuk-esque blade
Brass fixtures and fittings

It's a beaut, a performer and I love it! Kellam is still the most practical and useful knife, but boy do I love this one! It's great and perfect for in the pocket and it's a legal EDC :).

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just if anyone's interested, here is the bad boy I picked up with some excess birthday money:

imagejpg1_zpsa7c3fc66.jpg

imagejpg2_zps15f0e13a.jpg

imagejpg3_zps29110fc3.jpg

Bufalo river damascus range ranger knife,

I believe the damascus is high carbon
Jigged bone handles
One bird and trout type blade
One pruning type sheeps foot blade
One nessmuk-esque blade
Brass fixtures and fittings

It's a beaut, a performer and I love it! Kellam is still the most practical and useful knife, but boy do I love this one! It's great and perfect for in the pocket and it's a legal EDC :).

Beautiful Stockman's Knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE