Pocket GPS recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Morning all

I'm after a pocket GPS to use for hiking. Don't have a fortune to spend and happy to consider a second hand one. What do your recommend and why?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Sorry, the only dedicated GPS I have is installed in the Defender and even then it's really a Sat Nav as part of the entertainment system.

Why a dedicated GPS? I use Memory Map on my iPhone which gives me position to within a few metres and I can pre-load 1:25K maps for the area I'm going to. Actually, I now have about 75% of the UK on my phone and, as long as I have a connection, it will download anything that's missing.

I appreciate there is concern about privacy using Google maps but there are loads of alternatives and many will operate without a network connection.

I guess my point is why carry two devices if your phone has a GPS satellite receiver (not all do admittedly)? what are the advantages of a dedicated GPS that makes it worth having another thing in your pocket?

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Sorry, the only dedicated GPS I have is installed in the Defender and even then it's really a Sat Nav as part of the entertainment system.

Why a dedicated GPS? I use Memory Map on my iPhone which gives me position to within a few metres and I can pre-load 1:25K maps for the area I'm going to. Actually, I now have about 75% of the UK on my phone and, as long as I have a connection, it will download anything that's missing.

I appreciate there is concern about privacy using Google maps but there are loads of alternatives and many will operate without a network connection.

I guess my point is why carry two devices if your phone has a GPS satellite receiver (not all do admittedly)? what are the advantages of a dedicated GPS that makes it worth having another thing in your pocket?

I totally get your point but using my phone as a GPS on long walk runs the battery down quite a bit so I would prefer to have something seperate

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Ideally looking for something I can create a route on the PC and upload to it with waypoints etc. Also the ability to tag points if interest while walking would be good

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Morning all

I'm after a pocket GPS to use for hiking. Don't have a fortune to spend and happy to consider a second hand one. What do your recommend and why?

Thanks in advance

What is your budget? The older garmin etrex/vista/legend still go around the £40 - £70 range. And for what you want to do, you may need to go higher....

But you could have what you want around the £40 mark, but and windows ce PDA that has GPS, and upload a software program like arcpad.

Then a simple case of removing the sd card and uploading what you want. The main gamble is getting a good condition old pda

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Breadcrumb trail, arrow turns, basic or full map?
Take a look at this site, not just this link but the rest of the free training. If you find what you want them buying from them gets you free access to all their premium online training pages. Contacting them directly they'll give you good advice too.

GPS Training

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
What is your budget? The older garmin etrex/vista/legend still go around the £40 - £70 range. And for what you want to do, you may need to go higher....

But you could have what you want around the £40 mark, but and windows ce PDA that has GPS, and upload a software program like arcpad.

Then a simple case of removing the sd card and uploading what you want. The main gamble is getting a good condition old pda

Well if you ask She Who Must Be Obeyed she will say about £50 but I'm thinking maybe up to £120

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
For £120 I would get a second hand trimble nomad, find arcpad 7.1 online as a download, and your off.

I bought a magellen mobile mapper for £400 in good condition 7 years ago, and have never looked back. That GPS computer is still used today for my survey work and is priceless to me.

fenix

Forager
Jul 8, 2008
Kent
I use an old android phone and the OS app, not got a simcard installed and turn all the unwanted stuff off to save battery. The OS app allows you to save maps to the phone and you get a choice of maps. Also a 7 day free trial. Carry a batterybank and use a waterproof case.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Billy-o

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It isn't open country here. Different strategy needed. Make photocopies of the map. Carry 2 or 3.
Buy a very good compass (Brunton, Silva, etc.). Off you go with no batteries included.
Commonly, there's only one logging road in each valley. Learn which direction that is.
Cell phones and GPS don't work in the narrow side valleys.
I enjoy retracing my steps, year after year. The old familiar landmarks. New harvested blocks over the winter.

Attachments

• Up Top A.jpg
    Up Top A.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 7

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I have a phone and a Garmin Oregon ... much easier to keep up to date w/batteries than faffing with a charger (is my opinion). You can always get them second hand to try and then decide what you want to do later for a more permanent kind of buy.

I still prefer a map though. :)

Allans865

Nov 17, 2016
East Kilbride
Might be worth checking out Gumtree for your local area. Looked on mine (Glasgow) and there were loads of older model ones for sale for around the £30-£70 mark.

Hope this helps

ATB

Allan

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I started with a Garmin Etrex H which is very basic but it did use to connect to google earth with the right cable. The last time i tried i could not get it to work so looked for a new one. Still useful as a grid reference position finder. The H model is slightly better in woodland areas.

After that I got the Etrex 20x. I got some free UK map downloads for it and I like it. Its very small screen is a little irritating(after a pixel 3aXL) but the battery life is good, reception is good and quick, connects to my laptop for trails and routes. Ive used it for Geocaching and had great success. Very easy to load GPX compared to the Etrex H. I paid about £130.

Negs about the 20x. lots of bloat that I would never use. The compass will only give direction whilst on the move. The joystick protrudes too much which means if in you pocket it wakes/triggers all sorts of other things to happen unwantedly. An easy fix is to leave the screen on compass. I used it up snowdon this year with a trail downloaded from a website and it was fault less. If you get one do get a decent screen protector because they do tend to scratch quite easily. Always start with fresh batteries as the life gauge isnt that great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE