pockect chain saws

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The one I hae looks like the middle option
It has teeth that look very much like 'normal' chain saw teeth except they face both ways so it cuts both ways rather than just one way.

I've found it to be good - it easily cut through a 10 inch dead tree for fire wood on a camp once. What I didn't expect though was that it does tend to jump. By that I mean the teeth dig in and rip little chunks out of the wood so all the time your using it you feel a juddering. For some reason I expected it to be smooth like using a bow saw.

Other than that they are useful

Can't comment on any of the other designs as I've not used them

Hope that helps

Mark

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
I use one by Ultimate Survival which appears to have less teeth (but appear like powered chainsaw teeth) than most, but it cuts really well, with little of the juddering that is mentioned.
However I also use the mother of all flexible chain saws, a wartime issued saw with detachable wooden handles that really "cuts the mustard" as they say!! If you can get hold of one of these they come with tooth alignment tool and a file to sharpen the blades, all in their own pouch. "Found" mine in the back of unit stores years ago and couldn't find it on the stores ledger so ..........

:rolleyes: :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I had a heavy duty version of the first link. It was/ is (bartered it with PM) a brute of a beast that with care would fell a Redwood :eek:
But it's savage to use, it jumps, it bites, and even coiled up it's like catching hold of a rose bush :rolleyes:

Best advice I could offer is make sure you want one, and more particularly, make sure you've thoguht through what you are likely to use it for. Stuart did a really good review of one of these saws (he had input into it's design) for Survival kits. Tbh for virtually everything we'd use a saw for the little laplander really is the most useful buy.

cheers,
Toddy

Bushcraft4life

Settler
Dec 31, 2006
London
I have used them, good bit of kit, but they do judder which gets annoying, they are also dangerous folded up as Toddy said :lmao:

I much prefer a Laplander saw as Toddy said (again);), they are a bit pricey at around £20-£25 but considering how good they are, thats small change.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
However I also use the mother of all flexible chain saws, a wartime issued saw with detachable wooden handles that really "cuts the mustard" as they say!! If you can get hold of one of these they come with tooth alignment tool and a file to sharpen the blades, all in their own pouch. "Found" mine in the back of unit stores years ago and couldn't find it on the stores ledger so ..........

:rolleyes: :D

Mine was acquired still wrapped in 1950's oilcloth. To illustrate what Mike means - a pocket chainsaw and laplander are shown along with the trench saw over the top. They really are brutal things but amazing in use - monstrous cutters!

2277097355_528c756a5c_o.jpg

Red

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's the beastie :D brass end rings and all. If it's the tool you want though, that one's worth the money.

cheers,
Toddy

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Not sure if I'm honest. Whatever it is I didn't really get on with it. I do like saws but these days I take either my Silky pocket boy cos its so nice to use or a buck saw or the trench saw shown (bucksaw only when space is less of an issue). The trench saw is fantastic but its really a 2 man tool for larger logs. On balance if I could only have one it would be a folding saw (Silky or Laplander)

Red

abushcrafter

Nomad
Aug 23, 2007
Chilterns
http://www.best-defense-products.com/images/USDKIT.jpg

I have one of the Ultimate survival saws as in the link, same as already mentioned they can snag. I have one new spare saw if you want to trade. email me

RESERVED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE very tempting what is the price?:deal:

I had a heavy duty version of the first link. It was/ is (bartered it with PM) a brute of a beast that with care would fell a Redwood :eek:
But it's savage to use, it jumps, it bites, and even coiled up it's like catching hold of a rose bush :rolleyes:

Best advice I could offer is make sure you want one, and more particularly, make sure you've thought through what you are likely to use it for. Stuart did a really good review of one of these saws (he had input into it's design) for Survival kits. Tbh for virtually everything we'd use a saw for the little laplander really is the most useful buy.

cheers,
Toddy

which one the Saber Cut Survival Saw or the Pocket ChainSaw :confused: and I do have a laplander :approve: I just thought that a pocket chainsaw ,of some sort would be useful :dunno:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the little one with the webbing handles is a sabre cut - thats the one I didn't like. As Toddy says, the big one is military issue and makes any of the modern ones look like a toy - its teeth are massive and its about 3 or 4 foot long. That can be good but only on BIG wood. I think I struggle with the little pocket jobs because I like one hand bracing what I'm cutting a lot of the time - I tend to run out of hands with a saw that needs two hands to operate. Theres ways round it but it feels like a faff to me

Red

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Toddy thanks for the link, I can believe it was designed for telegraph poles, it really is awsome when used by two as BR suggested. Not too good for one person, tends to get caught up on itself or you build up the mother of all 'pecs' keeping the two ends apart!:D

I have found the saber saw works OK though!
I do agree that a laplander works better for normal bushcraft activities!:rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE