Please help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Temp018.jpg

Sorry, no. But I can fix your image. :)

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
I didn't think it was wood sage , although the leaves are similar .
Wood sage has a square stem and they lack the pinkish red colouration on the stem.I have a couple of things in mind it could be but I will have to check some books.

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
Found it in KingleyVale, West Sussex. My local nature reserve, although I have found it growing all over the downs. It's a low lieing plant that reminds me of mint, but of course it's not mint. It seems to like open grassland that has chalk bedrock.

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
It has characteristics of the Primula family and red dead nettle, even ground ivy...

Perhaps it's a mutation, like in X-Men?

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
The stems are definately round? The bit of stem I can see at the bottom of the photo looks kind of square in section - it certainly looks like a member of the Labiatae family. I would suggest a woundwort (Stachys) or possibly horehound (Ballota) both of which have an unpleasant smell!

typha

Mar 31, 2006
Lanarkshire Scotland
I agree with familne about the stem looking square at the bottom of the photograph and I also agree that it looks like a member of the labiatae family.From the description of the habitat and your location I think it could possibly be meadow clary. I have never seen meadow clary other than in books as it is not found in Scotland so it's a bit of a shot in the dark.I could be setting myself up for trouble with people who actually know meadow clary (salvia pratensis).

Les Marshall

Life Member
Jan 21, 2004
Chichester West Sussex
I managed to get two days in at Kingleyvale and found the exact plant I photographed (this is the bit where I eat humble Pie) the stem is square! :buttkick:, but looks as though you guys have doneit again! Cheers!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE