Please help me find a flat pack stove!

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Don't forget the fire spout stove, made in this country, as simple as a simple thing to put together, & work realy well.

Rob

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Yea i used to use it for making the round pot stands twinned with a trangia burner and alu windscreen. really light carry but really strong. Only problem is cutting the stuff. harder than diamonds lol

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
:) Yeah, stainless can be a pain. I use a big pair of tin snips for stuff like that, I've found it handles it quite well.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Any comments on my design? I did it like that so we'd only need one design cut out multiple times. Of course, not everyone has the means of cutting the fuel hole, I suppose (I'm addicted to my angle grinder with 1mm discs)!

less expensive!

...seems quite expensive.

still quite expensive.

If I had any metalworking experience at all I would just make myself one!

And there's the rub. If you actually had any metal working experience you might grasp why something made in a first world country by a small scale artisan/cottage industry costs what it does. Either acquire the skills to do it yourself, or graciously pay what all three exemplars cost the maker to produce.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
And there's the rub. If you actually had any metal working experience you might grasp why something made in a first world country by a small scale artisan/cottage industry costs what it does. Either acquire the skills to do it yourself, or graciously pay what all three exemplars cost the maker to produce.

I think you need to check your attiude a bit there fella!!!!!!
Unfortuantely we all have not got the metal working skills or even a place to practice them, or for that matter have the funds to be able to pay top doller for a peice of equipment, and thats why the guy started this thread to ask for a bit of HELP!!!
And not to be shot down buy sarcastic replys from people looking down at them!!!
If you have a problem with the thread do yourself and the rest of us a favour and dont reply to them!!!!!

There is no sarcasm involved. Merely my sanguine attitude.

Either you can do it or you pay someone a fair price to do it for you.

And if you can't afford what the makers want for it, then you can't have it.

Wanting something and the price not meeting your completely arbitrary assumptions of what it ought to cost are a diametrically opposed force.

If all your Google searches have shown you items you want but they’re more than you wish to pay for them, too bad. Don’t come on to a forum, whine about how unfair you think it is that a small scale manufacturer wants more for an item that you want and are willing to pay for, and hope against hope that someone can direct you to an equally desirable item, but at a price point you do like. You get something you can afford.

The “I want it light and good and cool and made in my country and not too tactical and in just the right colour...oh and it has to be really cheap” questions are tedious. Don’t be indignant because someone answers it in a snarky manner.

And chill out with the exclamation marks.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Sure there are points to be made about attitudes but isn't this thread about stoves? :)

FWIW I have an Emberlit too, and I really rate them. Mine's stainless and IIRC I weighed it at about 340g, which is light enough for me. I think I paid thirty quid in a Group Buy over on British Blades some time back. The guy who did the GB might be worth contacting, I don't know if he's done more or still has any stoves, I don't get on there from one moon to the next. Most times when I try it doesn't let me log in anyway.

The proper wood gas stoves are better for reduced smoke, but IMO they tend to be a bit fussier about fuel fueling so generally they're more of a faff.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
There is no sarcasm involved. Merely my sanguine attitude.

Either you can do it or you pay someone a fair price to do it for you.

And if you can't afford what the makers want for it, then you can't have it.

Wanting something and the price not meeting your completely arbitrary assumptions of what it ought to cost are a diametrically opposed force.

If all your Google searches have shown you items you want but they’re more than you wish to pay for them, too bad. Don’t come on to a forum, whine about how unfair you think it is that a small scale manufacturer wants more for an item that you want and are willing to pay for, and hope against hope that someone can direct you to an equally desirable item, but at a price point you do like. You get something you can afford.

The “I want it light and good and cool and made in my country and not too tactical and in just the right colour...oh and it has to be really cheap” questions are tedious. Don’t be indignant because someone answers it in a snarky manner.

And chill out with the exclamation marks.

The guy is looking or advice on getting a bargain on the perfect stove that suits him, if I remember correctly he didnt ask for an opinion on how he goes about his business, or ask for anyone to comment on what he shouldn't and should not be asking for.

He can ask for whatever he likes in whatever way he wants!!!

If you have a problem with it don't read it rather than leave silly responses that serve no purpose other than to belittle him or cause some sort of friction!!!

Unless you have something worth saying or a decent suggestion I suggest you push on and go and put your comments somewhere else!!!

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Something like this:

flatpackstove.png

Should work as sides and base but not 100% sure whether it would be possible to fit together, depends on how much play there is in the joints

I think your fit will be too loose. Was toying with the idea of using neodymium magnets to hold a steel plate one together - but stainless isn't very magnetic.

Group buy on laser cut BCUK design is the future tho'

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Heat kills magnets, as far as I know

I'm not 100% convinced on the benefits of a flat stove when cooking pots aren't flat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE