Please help me find a flat pack stove!

I've been looking for a wood burning stove for a while. Something like the honey stove, but less expensive! The pocket stove on backpacking light is the sort of thing I am after, but I would prefer something a bit bigger and more stable. The Firebox looks ideal, But still seems quite expensive.

I would only be burning wood in it, I never use meths or gas or anything.

I have found this online, which seems OK but still quite expensive for what it is. If I had any metalworking experience at all I would just make myself one!

Are there any other stoves available, or Should I just fork out for the firebox/honey stove?

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
WWWYA,
there used to be a military, possibly Israeli, folding pocket stove that did the rounds of Ebay for less than the item in your link.

However a few minutes with a pair of scissors and a biscuit tin would yield something akin to your link.

What about the hobo stoves made from cutlery drainers?

Ogri the trog

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
That's a neat solution but I agree, they do seem expensive for what they are. Thinking I should design one and get it cut out at a local sheet metal place

WWWYA,
there used to be a military, possibly Israeli, folding pocket stove that did the rounds of Ebay for less than the item in your link.

However a few minutes with a pair of scissors and a biscuit tin would yield something akin to your link.

What about the hobo stoves made from cutlery drainers?

Ogri the trog

Sounds good! Any chance of a link to that?

I was thinking of a hobo stove, But I really need to have a flat pack one to save space, I would be using it with a crusader cup and dont have much room in my pack for a hobo stove.

That's a neat solution but I agree, they do seem expensive for what they are. Thinking I should design one and get it cut out at a local sheet metal place

I'm tempted by this.. Maybe there are some designs online somewhere to copy.

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
WWWYA
Quite hard to find now but......

http://www.campingsurvival.com/fopocost.html

Fingers crossed - might be a tall order to find one in the UK though - unless someone here has one they want rid of.....

Ogri the trog

I had one of those and wasn't that impressed. It left scorch marks on the ground, was small and sometimes a bit wobbly.

I bought a stainless emberlit in a Group Buy on BB and absolutely loved it, except it was a smidge heavy at the back pocket of the Kifaru Express so I sold it and put the money towards the Ti version.

It's superb, a stunning bit of kit which weighs nothing, is high enough off the ground not to leave marks, is easy to feed and with the adaptor kit, will sit the crusader cup, or my favoured Alpkit Myti mug.

I cannot rate it highly enough and Mik is a nice guy.

At my school in the summer:

180720121001.jpg

190720121010.jpg

and yesterday we were toasting marshmallows over it at my sons birthday party.

Get one, you won't regret it.

...I bought a stainless emberlit in a Group Buy on BB and absolutely loved it, except it was a smidge heavy at the back pocket of the Kifaru Express so I sold it and put the money towards the Ti version.

It's superb, a stunning bit of kit which weighs nothing, is high enough off the ground not to leave marks, is easy to feed and with the adaptor kit, will sit the crusader cup, or my favoured Alpkit Myti mug.

I cannot rate it highly enough and Mik is a nice guy...

These look brilliant, exactly what I was after.

If only they sold them over here :( the shipping puts the price up to £30 [although that is much cheaper than the alternatives still]

I may get one yet! How long ago was the group buy? maybe its high time for another? :rolleyes:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If you're looking for a stainless one, I'll probably be upgrading to the titanium version, so I'll let you have it for £20 +p&p? I'll include the cross-adaptors to allow the use of small pots etc. Send me a pm if interested.

Last edited:

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I've just sketched out a design that uses 4 identical plates to do the job - what thickness stainless should I ask my local place to cut it in? Thinking 2mm

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Been mulling over my design whilst failing to sleep. Might not actually work but will see if I can mock it up in cardboard

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I did a link on here for a stove called the element 2.2 stove.
£35 for 150 ish grams of titanium loveliness lol.
Cheap as chips!!
Google it and see what you think.
Iv got 1 on its way!!
Folds flat too
Cheers Steve

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
yo....all interesting....might have one of those off you spandit if you go ahead...

a

Something like this:

flatpackstove.png

Should work as sides and base but not 100% sure whether it would be possible to fit together, depends on how much play there is in the joints

I did a link on here for a stove called the element 2.2 stove.
£35 for 150 ish grams of titanium loveliness lol.
Cheap as chips!!
Google it and see what you think.
Iv got 1 on its way!!
Folds flat too
Cheers Steve

These look brilliant! That cheap for titanium as well! Thanks :)

If you notice, every single one of those pages goes to a stove that is not what I wanted, But thanks for the helpful comment anyway...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE