PLCE Bergen tip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
...... just thought I'd pass this on. I noticed that a few of you have the PLCE bergen or webtex copy. Here is something that i picked up a while back and thought you chaps might be interested too.

Basically it's a little method I use to store the side pockets when they aren’t in use. Here is what you do (I don't have my digital camera with me at the moment so I'll try and explain it in words ..... will try and post pics later):-

1. Unzip the pockets from the bergen and lay them "flat back" down on the floor
  2. Fold the left and right zippered sides of the pocket into the center and then zip them together i.e zip the pocket "on itself" if you see what I mean (the actual pocket with zip opening will now be inside making a tube shape)
  3. Make sure the plastic clips at the top and the bottom of the pocket are sticking out
  4. You can now clip this onto the plastic clips on the side of the bergen

Is that too confusing? :confused:

I've done this for years having got fed up with the empty side pockets flapping around and getting caught on braches etc. At first I used to detach them and keep them in the top pocket/main body but having lost a couple whilst pulling things out in the middle of the night I was looking for a better way, a chum showed me this method.

This way the pockets lie flush with the side giving a "cleaner" appearance (which I prefer :D ) and are close/tight enough to a (relatively full) bergen that they don't get caught on branches etc. The clips haven't failed me yet so no more lost side pockets and you still have the option of opening them up should the need arise. :cool:

Hope that helps. :)

TwoFourAlpha

Tenderfoot
Dec 18, 2004
Manchester
That is, definately, a top tip.
I've had a PLCE for years and never thought of that.

I just tried it, and I put the pouches under the adjustment straps, too, so they hold them flat against the side.

Now it looks like an ordinary 80L, but we all know it has a secret, hidden 40L for the next time I , umm.... find a Puffa jacket or something.

I like it.

M

marcja

Whilst we're on Bergen Tips. Does anyone happen to know how to conect one of the side pockets to a yoke (think that's what they're called) I can attach the pocket but don't seem to have anywhere to attach the shoulder straps.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
You can use one pouch on a yoke, just clip it on using the black clips mentioned. IIRC the bottom flaps a bit, so you have to thread a piece of webbing through a couple of loops somewhere to tie the bottom in. Difficult to say without one infront of me. :confused:
Cheers
Rich

M

marcja

weekend_warrior said:
You need two plce pouches - zip 'em together and hang them from the black clips - top and bottom.

Sorry should've been more exact. I have two pouches and can set it up with both, but I'm trying to figure out a way of using the yoke with one.

weekend_warrior

Jun 21, 2005
North London
marcja said:
Sorry should've been more exact. I have two pouches and can set it up with both, but I'm trying to figure out a way of using the yoke with one.

Hmmmm you might need to make some extended straps for that - my local Army Surplus sells the male/female clips, you'd need some strap webbing.. not sure how it would hang though... might be a bit sloppy.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
ok this is tricky to describe without pics but here we go:

the yoke has 2 clips at the top and 2 clips at the bottom. The pocket has 2 clips top and bottom. The shoulder straps should have 2 clips as well.

When you use one pocket you attach the top clips on the yoke to the pocket clips and then attach the shoulder strap clips to the bottom clips on the pocket.

This leaves the bottom of the yoke not attached to anything but it lies flat and is pressed between your back and the pocket anyway.

You can attach the pocket to the main bag with the yoke attached, if all your most important kit is in that pocket you can use it as an emergency bag leaving the rest of your kit if needs must.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE