Playing in the forge...again

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
I got asked to make some bits for a mate to sell on his reenactment stall. :campfire: Thought I'd share

A 5ft Fire Tripod with chain and an S hook, Two pokers and a couple of kettle/pot hangers -one made from square one from round bar

5ftfiretripodwithShookandpokersandpothangers.jpg

All are made out of 10mm square or round bar. I'd have preferred 12mm or 16mm for a bit more strength in the tripod.
All hand forged by me.

The square stuff has one, two or three twisted sections on them

Pokertwist.jpg

The tripod has all the bars and the top hook forged together

TopofFireTripod.jpg

and when folded up, lay straight with the legs almost touching all the way down

Heres a square poker with a single twist (on a 12" x 12" slab)

Squarepoker.jpg

and a square kettle/pot hanger that are turning up on loads of re-enactment sites. It has a single twist on the vertical bit

Squarepothangerwithtwist.jpg

of course with round bar, you can't see the twists very easily, only very close up (look a bit like Damascus but as all the same steel, not so pronounced)

I ended up making

• five pokers
  • two 4ft fire tripods
  • two 5ft fire tripods
  • four S hooks to go with the tripods
  • four kettle/pot hangers
  • eight strikers

Last edited:

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Nice work Kev :You_Rock_

How much load can the kettle hanger take and could it twist and drop off? Neat idea though. Is this item in the historical record or a new idea?

Cheers
Craeg

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Made from square, it locks in although the weight on round seems to lock it in as well. As it has a deep hook the pot stays on as its hooked on the lowest part of the horizontal bar. Your pot benefits from having a kink in the middle of the handle (like pointing down, curly brackets { )
A guy from the re-enactment society rescind he's seen some similar in old documents (Saxon or Viking not sure although the Vikings had round bar)
weight depends how far out you have the horizontal and the angle of the vertical bit.
I see a testing coming on at the next Cambs or Norwich meet me thinks :)

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE