Platypus

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I have been looking for a water container for the fixed or overnight camp. It of course should be good quality (I bought one with a friction-fit tap that leaked all over the place....needless to say it was returned) and collapsable, and ideally have the fittings (or allow modification for this) to be suspended upside down - e.g. in a tree - so that the outlet is at the bottom.

Platypus are apprently good quality, and have a range of fittings (e.g. shower hose). I am not sure which of their products to buy (big zip II? resevior? water tank?) since I am not sure which can be hung upside down. Advice and recommendations on this would be appreciated.

Secondly there is the issue of capacity. How much would an average person require in one day - that would be water required for cooking cleaning pans etc in one evening and one morning and for drinking during the day?

Thanks.

[edit] And to top it all off...I'm having difficulty finding the cheapest supplier! Again advice appreciated.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I haven't come across platypus systems much below RRP, I can get 10% discount in a couple of stores and that seems about it. For size I'd go for something fairly large. From what I remember the 2 and 3liter bladders are the same length with the 3liter being wider while the 4liter is the same width as the 3 but longer, since there was a length issue in my bag (or the bag I had when I first bought one) I got the three even though I often only put 2liters in.
I'm not quite sure how they hand up but it would be simple (and maybe better) to make some sort of bag to put them in when hanging them up anyway. I didn't get the big zip and wish I had as it would make cleaning/filling with ice a lot easier.

After getting the 3liter one I have since bought a 0.5liter one, partly so that I can have a cap (you have to pay about £3.60 for two caps :eek: ) and also I find it much easier to drink from then a nomal bottle

Blacks have stopped selling them as they now do thier own (stomshield), given that they cost about the same and you can't get so many attachments for stormshield stuff I wouldn't buy them

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I have a 6l Water Tank which I use for camping. For that purpose it's fantastic. The top opens up so it's dead easy to fill from the tap, and carrying is not a problem due to the handles. I also found that I could hang it from the tap by hooking the handles over the top, for nice, easy hands-free filling.

I can't really remember how long the 6l lasts, but for 2 of us camping it would last around 2/3 days for drinking and cooking (boiling pasta etc). We used other water for washing up.

There are probably reasons why one should go for a smaller version, but as it rolls up small when empty, for us the 6l does the trick nicely.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've had platypus 1litre bladders in the past and wouldn't buy similar again. After a while (year or two) the plastic seems to de-laminate and mine leaked.

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
Have a look at the MSR Dromedaries. They are ultra tough, have lots of accessories and mine is still going strong after nearly 9 years. They are a black cordura nylon laminate with built in grommets for cording etc. I believe there are now lightweight versions but the heavy weight is mere ounces.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Personally, I tend to stay away from water bladders in the boonies. I think they're great in the summertime, but in the winter I've seen the hoses freeze even when the owner tries his best to care for them. I've also seen guys waste their days water supply very quickly because it's too readily available. Carrying all that water is nice, but it doesn't really encourage water discipline.

Just my two cents.

Adam

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
scanker said:
I've had platypus 1litre bladders in the past and wouldn't buy similar again. After a while (year or two) the plastic seems to de-laminate and mine leaked.

So did all mine, MSR are supposed to be good, I use Camelbak now - not cheap, but my 4 year old one is going strong. I bought a Thermobak to keep the temperature regulated after a trip to the Cairngorms earlier this year when the water was very cold as I sweated up a hill.

I have a two and a three - the three with a big coke bottle to refill it seem ideal for me for a day or so.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like my Platypuses, but then I'd rather carry several small ones than one larger one. Never had one burst or leak (when I remember to close it properly :eek: )
but my oldest one (10 years) is looking pretty sorry for itself now. It has had a *lot* of use.
The shower works well but I believe that something like the black Ortlieb one that absorbs sunheat might be a better bet for comfort.

Cheers,
Toddy

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Guys,

There's an adaptor that can be bought in the US which converts a canteen into a camelbak of sorts. The soldier puts his canteen into his rucksack upside down, and attaches the tube to the top of the canteen lid, where the gasmask adaptor is. Voila! No broken or popped bladders.

Adam

Edit: I can't find the URL for it right now, but I'll see what I can do later. If I forget, well, there's always Google.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
It depends what you are looking for, I guess that you are looking for something that you fill close to your site rather than carrying around with you all day...

I have put a few links up in the hope that you will see something useful and in line with what you are after...

http://www.thecampingsuperstore.co.uk/category.asp?catcode=8

http://www.ukcamping.co.uk/shopscr82.html

http://www.outdoormegastore.co.uk/acatalog/Outdoor_Megastore_Gerry_Cans___Solar_Showers_325.html

http://www.ishop.co.uk/product/sports_leisure/camping/water_carriers.html?product_order=product.price+&&offset=10

As for quantity of water, it is thought that for drinking purposes everyone should drink a minimum of 1.5Ltrs per day as the norm, exercise increases need. So for all activities including washing up and cooking I would look at approximately 4.5Ltrs per person per 24 hour period as your minimum...Hope this helps.

LS

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I like them. I had one leak though.

I like them cause they are cheap and very lightweight.

Most of the time I use the small ones for wine and the big ones for water.

Most of the time my wife and I just use a 1 liter plastic bottle between us cause water is nearby, but I bring a few of the platypus ones for occasions when we are leaving the last known water source and camping at a campsite that is dry.

The other more expensive and heavy ones are probably more durable but mine have served me well and I'm thinking they are 3. The one that leaked needs a new seal at the lid. I can put a peice of cellphane over and then screw the lid down and it still seals fine.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
hollowdweller said:
I like them. I had one leak though.

I like them cause they are cheap and very lightweight.

Most of the time I use the small ones for wine and the big ones for water.

Most of the time my wife and I just use a 1 liter plastic bottle between us cause water is nearby, but I bring a few of the platypus ones for occasions when we are leaving the last known water source and camping at a campsite that is dry.

The other more expensive and heavy ones are probably more durable but mine have served me well and I'm thinking they are 3. The one that leaked needs a new seal at the lid. I can put a peice of cellphane over and then screw the lid down and it still seals fine.

Hollowdweller, you have got it the wrong way round me thinks...small bottles for water and big ones for wine it should be...Lol

LS

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
My platypus started getting creased where I folded it, so I stopped folding it and now always carry it flat against my back when empty. Did the people that had leaks fold them a lot?

I've been using a 2.5L platypus for a year or two, and it's been one of the most worthwhile things I've bought. It gets used all of the time, which is the ultimate compliment. Together with a 2L unbranded platypus-type bottle (with hose) that I bought in a Decathlon sports shop overseas, it provided all the water I needed for my recent hike over the yorkshire wolds. That was during the 32-35C heat wave, and I amazed myself by drinking 12 litres of water in the 48 hours I was out! The two bottles were perfect together, even though the cheapo bottle had a plasticky-tasting hose. I maybe should've taken my nalgene bottle, but I'm glad I didn't leave either of those two behind.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
scanker said:
Mine were never folded. They just seemed to delaminate from the bottom corners.

You could send photos to Platypus, might get some sort of compensation since if they don't know it's a problem, they can't do anything about it.

Cheers,
Toddy

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
recently started to use a camelback i was given - around 3 litres i think, i like it saves me taking off my pack just to get a quick drink particulary when climbing etc.

interesting comment regarding water discipline using a hydration system, i have to say i've used it in the cairngorms in december and then in the fijian highlands in january, worked well in both places.

You can't have too much water, a lesson a learned a while ago
i also carry a 1 litre playapus but its a pain in the **** to fill in streams i find compared to the the camel back which has a much larger mouth.

cheers

Graham

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE